Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driven there sub in a flood?

Has anyone ever driven there sub through a flood. Just wondering,, would it leak inside. Did the engine die. Cause recently floods have been popular here in Ontario. I own a 93 legacy, but i don't know if its a good idea to do through deeper thank the hight of the car. Anyone done this?

Well if you PLAN on doing this purpously, the guys on the older generation have lots of advice on this as they tend to like to teach their soobys how to swim.:cool:

The important things seem to be to make sure all the electrical connections are water proof by using lots of di-electric grease on all the electrical connectors, and making sure any black boxes are water tight.

The engine itself is water tight, and as long as it doesnt swallo any water your fine. Hydraulic lock is NOT pretty... and the other trick is to keep moving, and dont let the car stall.

nipper

Dont go deeper than your headlights!

Not to state the obvius .... but if your talking a flash flood or something, you sit on dry ground and wait it out. More people die that way in flash floods ..."its not that deep" just people underestimate the force that moving water has a car, or even themselves... i would say anything 1/2 higher then your tires is bad, unless its still water, but even then how can you be sure about depth.

nipper

The reason that so many people drown during flooding is because few of them realize the incredible power of water. A mere six inches of fast-moving flood water can knock over an adult. It takes only two feet of rushing water to carry away a vehicle. This includes pickups and SUVs.

http://floridadisaster.org/Hazards/Hurricanes/HurricaneWeek2003/Flood.htm

Regarding driving through floodds, not real recommended.

My son drove his Neon through a very deep puddle too fast. Water sucked into the air intake and hydro-locked the motor. Pushed a rod through the block.

How lucky do you feel.................

swi66

I've driven through standing water a little over halfway up on the wheels a few times (someone didn't engineer the drainage at work correctly). The plastic "skidplate" on the OBW seems to push the water pretty well.

I'd be worried about prolonged driving in water that gets near the radiator fans. If they kick on, they'll spray water all over the compartment.

I've driven through standing water a little over halfway up on the wheels a few times (someone didn't engineer the drainage at work correctly). The plastic "skidplate" on the OBW seems to push the water pretty well.

I'd be worried about prolonged driving in water that gets near the radiator fans. If they kick on, they'll spray water all over the compartment.

The people swimming their subies put the electric fans on a switch, and take the belt driven fan off. I've seen pictures from the '60's of people taking the belts and fan off old pickups in order to ford creeks, then put them back on on the other side.

Hydrolocking sucks. Thats when you pull water into the intake of the motor and it fills up the cylinders while its running. Driving through still water shouldn't be a problem to the top of the bumper. I would not go deeper. DOn't stop in the water, and don't rev too high while you're in. Keep it round 2k in first, and wade your way through. If youget addicted, make yourself a snorkel for the intake, then you don't risk hydrolocking. The computer is under the dash, so unless the car is full of water, you should be fine.