Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

bedliner in a can

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 baccaruda

• 6,949 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 03 October 2003 - 05:41 PM

So i had this plan to use aerosol bedliner (the kind that's $8.00 a can) to toughen up the looks of my last wagon. I had some on the hood and fenders. I put that hood on my current wagon when I got it as it had an off color hood.
The bedliner is now faded and is cracking in some spots. No biggie for me as I plan to change the hood again soon (dents and rock chips) but i thought it would be nice to let everyone know that the cheap stuff isn't really all that great. I saw that brian/subarujunkie was planning on putting it on his new Soobme brand rack and thought I'd pipe up.

#2 Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,199 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:45 AM

I never understood how this crap could hold up from a CAN, but the stuff I am putting on my brat comes from a GALLON paint can.... it actually has rubber chunks and stuff in it, stuff like that CANT fit out an aerosol nozzle... so at LEAST roll on a herculiner... I got mine for like $60 for a gallon PLUS 2 rollers AND a brush :D

#3 soobme

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Medford OR

Posted 04 October 2003 - 11:07 AM

WOW!:eek: Where did U get Hurculiner for $60 gal!?!

#4 Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,199 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:15 PM

$20 mail in rebate from Schucks... it was like $84 or more on the shelf.... (79.99 on unmarked sale though) but I asked about a rebate and they said ok and got out the little coupon... they arent blabbing about it though, thats for sure. Had I not asked, they would have gladly let me pay the full price for it.

Schucks has such terrbile pricing.... lowest prices my :moon:

The one here is only good for one thing... going to autozone, writing down prices then sticking schucks with their guarantee :brow:

Example 9004 headlight bulbs:
Schucks: $10.99
Autozone $6.99

Therefore I told schucks what autozone is charging and got it for like 6.59 :D

#5 TheSubaruJunkie

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:50 PM

Yeah, CSK Auto (Checkers, Schucks, Kragen) have bad prices, but very good business ethic's. They will beat any competitor by 5%. Of course, they dont tell you until you complain about their prices. I get CV's from them for $47 cause I tell them Napa has them for $53ea (if you goto Kragen after Napa closes, they cant call to verify).

Where is this $8 a can stuff, and where can i get it? Is it an actual aerosol can? Like spray paint?

#6 Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,199 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 04 October 2003 - 04:34 PM

Ya its in actual rattle cans... just dont use it on a windy day otherwise you will end up with something along the lines of my "pool table" hood on my brat. The texture of the paint made it look all fuzzy like pool table fabric... that and half the paint blew away in the wind :(

#7 TheSubaruJunkie

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 04 October 2003 - 04:38 PM

Thats why i got a garage :P

#8 trooperjeep

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 04 October 2003 - 10:37 PM

I used a similar "canned" stuff on my 92 Loyale to paint (and hide the rust on) the rocker pannels and the fender flares.

However, preperation was key.
After masking it off the areas and lightly sanding the paint, I used a rust-converter spray on the spots of rust. Then I used an Adhesion Promotion spray so the spray on bed-liner paint stuck like glue!

Needless to say, my Loyale looks great and has not rusted in those spots again and the paint has not come off in over 2 years!

#9 bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 05 October 2003 - 08:00 AM

If you can find it Rustoleum Road Warrior is a two part epoxy with rubber in it. I have used this on my Brat's bed and my 2000 f-150's bed. Been in about six months and looks great and is heavily textured. Preparition really means alot with any product you use. I sanded the beds down with 100 grit paper, blew them out with my gas powered leaf blower and wiped them down twice with enamel reducer. I think they will be there six years from now. Have used Duplicolor bed liner and it does not compare to Road Warrior. Glenn Taylor.

#10 oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 05 October 2003 - 01:13 PM

i just got some duplicolor spray on bedliner 6$ and change a can
using it on modded computer case
just sprayed it on after roughing up the paint with some scotch brite
and then using acetone to clean all the dust and grease off case
looks kinda neat so far
not that i ever plan on hauling loads on my computer case
but then again ya never know since its small enough i can use it as my "to go" computer to go fix other peoples computers

got the light up fans and window and all

i gotta take pics of it when its done

and you thought spray on bedliner was just for soobs!!

#11 LostWater

Looking for 80-87 Hatch

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Myersville, MD

Posted 06 October 2003 - 12:12 PM

I tried it on my BRAT after sandblasting and cleaning the bed with solvent and the stuff still peels off. And it is in no way tough enough for a high impact area like a truck bed.

It looks like hell within a month. Definitely go with a roll on like herculiner, gorilla liner, or that Rust oleum stuff.

#12 Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,268 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 06 October 2003 - 03:44 PM

I've used that spray on undercoating on all kinds of crap and had good results.

I think, just like anything, it needs touch-up work over time to keep it up.

I just did the buggy tank with that crap, it better last:madder:

At one point I considered doing my whole car.:headbang:

My .02
82 Hatch, undercoated carpet. :temper:
01 Forester, not undercoated:cornfuzz:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users