Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t reroute turbo coolant lines?

seems like there are several posts that mention the coolant lines should be re-routed but that is it

where should they be re-routed?

here's my guess:

turbo out to heater core in

trubo in to heater core out

BTW: pex t fittings work great as adapters, etx.

I recently installed a fuel heater in the vw tapping into the heater core circuit

Where does the coolant supply come from on the ea82t? I know on the ea81t, it comes out of the head drain bung, need to analize the internal flow charcteristics of the head to see if thats causing any less flow around #3 or not....

Anyone keen to do a 3d model of the head, so i can do some CFD analysis on it???:brow:

IIRC, the ea82t's return goes to the thermostat housing, just like the ea81t, which is already the best place for it - straight to the radiator.

I suspect that the overheating prob in that cylinder may be more to do with radiative heat transfer between the turbo and head...

A while back there was a long thread (original message board even) about all of the cooling characteristics of the EA82 series of engines. There was PapaRoo who did a lot of testing and checking on the coolant passages and routing. Seems that he found out that the passengers head starves a bit for cool water and therefore runs a bit hotter than the drivers head. He never found a solution to the problem. Knowing this and having experiences several head gasket failures on the passengers head and even a total catastrophic failure that caused the treads in case halves to stress out so much that the bolts holding the case together no longer worked, I figured that all of that heat can't really be good for the turbo, (and I hated having the change the hose under the turbo) so I figured that It might be better if the inlet water for the turbo came off of the other head instead. Much trial and error and bending finding the right hoses and all that and this is what I have come up with and am still running on my car.

Pictures below.

BTW trusting that Subaru did actually know what they were doing I put the old ladys together totally stock in the cooling department just to comare the two. Doesn't seem to be much different but her car usually is not the car that makes the long trips out of the mountains to the hotter areas of Idaho.

I will post some more pictures later this evening.

Hush