Ultimate Subaru Message Board

about to do a brake job on a 2000 legacy and im finding that the parts, pads and rotors, from the parts stores ( napa, advance auto) are more friendly to my budget than oem from the dealer, so im wondering what parts have you readers had good success with other than from the dealer,

Mintex brake pads are by far the best aftermarket pad. In my opinion. They come in various formulations, but even the standard stuff stops the car with more conviction than the Subaru pads.

OEM is "Jurid", which is actually Pagid...

Most plan surface brake rotors will be fine. Try to stick with a respectable brand, like Mintex or Brembo.

EBC make some very nice slotted rotors that will stand up to serious abuse, even on the track. However, EBC pads have offered me very limited success.

Conclusion? The most cost effective way to improve your car's braking and not break the bank: Mintex standard pads and EBC discs.

I got almost 60k out of a set of NAPA Ceramix Pads (Front). I only got 23k out of the OEM pads... Have a set of Parts Plus Ceramic pads on now. A little noisy on the first couple of hit in the AM, but nice afterwards.

I think the rotors are Wagner Premium that I put on with these Parts PLus pads.

The Part Plus pads I think are either Wagner's or Raybestos. Don't remember off the top of my head.

The Parts PLus pads were $45, the NAPA were $75. The only reason I got them the first time, is my buddy worked there and wanted me to try them, so he gave them to me at his cost...

You can't really get Mintex in the United States. You can get Axxis, which are pretty much the same thing:

We have gone away from the 1155 these days. I used to import these as they

were at one time the only really good pad. We now offer the Axxis Ultimate

pad, which I do have in stock. $39.79, and a modest shipping expense.

Here is the skinny. Over the last ten years, Sachs (Germany) has purchased

Mintex (UK) and Axxis (Australia). Mintex still provides vast quantities of

pads to the OEM manufactures in the UK and Europe, but the US market is

being done by Axxis organization. The technologies are interchanged between

Axxis and Mintex. OK?

Second point is that newer compounds and manufacturing process have allowed

a compound with superior heat range, from dead cold to your wife having long

ago asked you to slow down, and equally important, a less abrasive structure

for smoother performance and better rotor wear. So I no longer sell the 1155

Mintex. The Axxis Ultimate is less expensive, has better friction qualities

and is less abrasive on the rotors.

If you would like to order a pair, just call me on 310 344 4578, or better

yet, just email me in two separate emails, your cc number. Along with that I

will need your home address, a phone number, the little three digit number

on the back of the card and the expire date. Dividing the information up is

orders of magnitude safer and not a worry.

Let me know if you have additional questions. You will like the Axxis set,

and all SPD customers are using these as their road car set. For racing only

we use either Hawk or Mintex compounds still, but they are not suitable for

street use, at all.

Thanks for looking us up! We look forward to your support!

Mike Shields

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=26140

I have some ultimates that I'm looking forward to putting on eventually when I swap my brakes.

I believe my independent Subaru garage installs Rofren pads. Not sure about the rotors, my dad has new front ones from that shop as well. They put new rear ones on my car; my mom's has had a full set of them for about two years now. Great pedal feel and stopping power. Only complaint is that they do dust a lot.

Brian M.

+1 for redstuffs. recently fitted brembo discs +redstuuf pads to my forester. only 200 miles on them but they stop better than the greens ever did, even cold. no fade either. too early to tell about disc wear.

Strange though, included in the box were anti squeal shims,which are always mentioned but never seem to be included. pity they were the wrong ones. what is wrong with EBC's packers?

Heh, and the funny thing is that I mostly only hear bad things about EBC.

well, I'll be sure to post a review when I put on axxis ultimates.

probably about the OLD EBC

if you read my review :)

there is a new owner of the company, an all new EBC

pads are completely new compound, new formula

and i'm running them on both of my Impreza's with absolute success :clap:

i wont switch brake pads for nothin... :)

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

• 1 month later...
OEM or some higher end aftermarket pads

I use **these *click*

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

Ok, I'm looking to replace the pads/rotors on my 00 forester and I'm just looking for "regular" brake pads. after years of driving around with squeeky brakes, the ONLY criteria that has to be met is NO SQUEEK (followed by price being a close 2nd). things like dusting, bite, performance, etc are secondary.

So I price out OEM from subaru and they're $90, while my local O riely parts store has a brand called Wagner for much cheaper. he claims the ceramic WON"T SQUEEK and will replace them if they do. this runs contrary to some of the things I read on this board

so a) does a $43 wagner ceramic pad set fit my bill?

B) what is the material for the OEM brake pads? the guy said they were semi-metallic. if that's so, there's a "middle" of the line brake pad for $39 that are supposed to be OE replacements. would these work for me?

thanks

I have had good with the EBC pads and Brembo slotted rotors in the 98 Legacy GT.

Had redstuff first. They were great, when hot, but not some much when cold, especially in the winter.

I have green stuff now. They are better for normal driving, but not as good as redstuffs. Redstuffs for the track.

I can't say anything about about EBC pads. I run them on the Honda CB750 too. They seem to be very kind to rotors.

I avoid drilled rotors. Many friends have had them crack.

Has anyone tried the Bremdo pads tirerack started carrying? My green stuffs are about ready to be changed and they seem to be scarse.

Rob

be warned that mintex/repco/axxis pads are

very noisy, squeaky

and

very dusty

just a word of warning.

i will never use them again.

Dust... Yeah, they are brakes. I personally never expect a brake pad to be dust free so it never bothers me.

Noise... Not if broken in properly.

I've run Metal Masters on my street cars for years now. I've never had noise issues, and the brake dust is a minor side effect for the effectiveness of the pads.

EBC Makes some good stuff, but for a street car I don't think I can justify the 40% increase in price for EBC Greens, or the 50% increase for EBC Reds. For a Race application I'd go EBC, but for street I'd go Metal Master.

That's just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Keith

Keith

so a) does a $43 wagner ceramic pad set fit my bill?

B) what is the material for the OEM brake pads? the guy said they were semi-metallic. if that's so, there's a "middle" of the line brake pad for $39 that are supposed to be OE replacements. would these work for me?

thanks

The $43 Wagner Ceramics would be your best bet. The way I understand it, Ceramics are engineered to be quite and dust free over everyting else.

I had been thinking about ceramics and wondering if they were as low dust as folks say. I don't care if a pad is noisy - but I want it to be AT LEAST as effective, cold and hot, as OEM but would be willing to pay xtra for low dust and/or light colored dust (I have a white car and white wheels)

Will ceramics 'bed in' on a used rotor or MUST they be 'turned' flat or new?

Carl

When I did the last brake job on my Subie, I needed the parts immediately so I took whatever Advance Auto had in stock. The pads and rotors are cheap Wearever Silver brand, better parts required special order. I took the cheap stuff - I needed to get my car back on the road.

53,000 miles later, I am very happy with the cheap pads and rotors. They have held up well. For my style of driving, they work just as well as OEM, Axxis, PBR, Brembo and everything else I've used. No noise, minimal dust, and the car stops every time.