Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help diagnose 2005 Legacy GT drivetrain noise.

Hey, I'm new here. I am a member of other boards though. I bought a 05 Legacy GT about 2 months ago. Has about 26,000 miles. Really like the car. There is a howl like gear noise from the rear. It has the limited slip, and is a manual. The noise is constant and gets louder the faster you go. It is a low growl, not a high whine. Can hear it at about 30-40 mph.It is steady with tire speed, not engine speed. Doesn't matter with clutch in or out. The car has minor vibes.

The problem is that this car is new to me. I wouldn't say "holly cow there is something wrong". It is just kind of annoying. It gets real annoying after a while on the freeway. I can't for the life of me think this is normal. I wouldn't think that after the work Subaru has done to "refine" the car that this is normal drivetrain noise. Does any one have any ideas? Do I need to go down to the Dealership? We are still under factory warranty, and have an extended. Any input is appeiciated. Thanks

the rear differential has a bad tooth on one of the gears. take it to the dealer. if you want to investigate yourself, drain the rear differential fluid and see what goodies come out with it! i'd guess a rear differential replacement is needed.

If it is a sound that gets louder with speed, and not dependent on engine rpm, it MAY be a bad differential. Differentials howl and its a unique noise. Other possibilities are a bad tire, bad wheel bearing, etc. Could be the roof rack also. If it wasnt there when you drove the car off the lot, then its not normal.

Take it back to the dealer, its under warrenty. If he says that is "normal" (which i doubt if you fuind the noise annoying) ask to take another car for a test drive and see if it makes the same noise.

How long ago did the noise start? Does it change pitch on curves at all? What happens when you put the car in neutral when the noise is at its loudest?

nipper

my advice was a bit limiting. rear diff is one of a few options. would want to inspect fluid level of it as well.

you could try rotating the tires to the front if for some reason you wanted to do this yourself. if the noise/vibrations then "moved" up front so to speak you would know it's tire related.

Thanks for the responses. I'm no mechanic, but don't mind doing stuff. I just got done regearing my jeep myself. First time. First it is the wife's so I don't drive it everyday. It has done it as long as we have had it. Again, it isn't horrible, but it's annoying. It can't be right. I get tons of info from my Jeep forum, and just thought I would try here first to see if it was anything common. With it still under warranty, I will be taking a trip to the Dealer. All good suggestions. I just didn't know if that was how Subaru AWDs were or the LS in the rear.

I've done some searching. What is up with the noisy roof rack? Lot's of info on that! I don't have a roof rack. Had to run some errands, and tried to listen. I think I have myself convinced it's gears. Bearings are somewhat constant. This is more high frequency/vibe noise. It's not a high pitch though, more a low growl. All the way from zero mph on up.

I work w/ a lot of machinery. I know what stuff sounds like when it's comming apart. This isn't that. It is not a faint, gotta turn you head just right to hear it type thing either. It is obvious. I was just in love w/ the new car, never had a Subaru, blew it off. Now I know it is not right. My Jeep in 4x4 is quieter than the Soob. Nobody is chiming in saying, "that is just how Subarus are", or "ya know, mine is kind of noisy too". I better start reading all the fine print on my warranty. I am the second owner and it has 28k miles. Only 8k left.

Drive train is warranty item. Go get 'em.

I've done some searching. What is up with the noisy roof rack? Lot's of info on that! I don't have a roof rack. Had to run some errands, and tried to listen. I think I have myself convinced it's gears. Bearings are somewhat constant. This is more high frequency/vibe noise. It's not a high pitch though, more a low growl. All the way from zero mph on up.

I work w/ a lot of machinery. I know what stuff sounds like when it's comming apart. This isn't that. It is not a faint, gotta turn you head just right to hear it type thing either. It is obvious. I was just in love w/ the new car, never had a Subaru, blew it off. Now I know it is not right. My Jeep in 4x4 is quieter than the Soob. Nobody is chiming in saying, "that is just how Subarus are", or "ya know, mine is kind of noisy too". I better start reading all the fine print on my warranty. I am the second owner and it has 28k miles. Only 8k left.

Well just an update. Went to dealership. Right wheel bearing. The tech said that Subaru has had problems w/ wheel bearings, so they went to new one piece bearings, but are still having some problems. Anyway, all covered under warranty. Maybe Subaru isn't the only one that does, but I have seen other factory warranties that do not cover wheel bearings. They are expendable, like brake shoes. So they will fix it next week. I'm happy. It will be nice to have a quiet car. Thanks for all the help.

Well just an update. Went to dealership. Right wheel bearing. The tech said that Subaru has had problems w/ wheel bearings, so they went to new one piece bearings, but are still having some problems. Anyway, all covered under warranty. Maybe Subaru isn't the only one that does, but I have seen other factory warranties that do not cover wheel bearings. They are expendable, like brake shoes. So they will fix it next week. I'm happy. It will be nice to have a quiet car. Thanks for all the help.

28,000 miles on a wheel bearing is absurdly low for a new car unless your tires are on the outside of your fenders. They better cover it under warranty.

BTW, my other car is a restored 87 Comanche 4x4, 4.0, 5 spd. with 4" lift. I'm Colorado too, on the western slope. What flavor is your Jeep.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijact this thread, but just curious about my neighbors.

Mike