Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bubbles/Foam in Power steering????why!?

ok, so my power steering pump died on my turbo XT, so I replaced it with another one from a parts XT, and it workes, but it still makes the same sound the old one did before it died (a weird moaning/whining sound)

and it is also doing the same thing the last one did- it is foaming the ATF up badly!!

will this kill my next pump? what is causing this? if anyone has had this happen or knows whats going on, please tell! thanks!

Originally posted by baccaruda

maybe you should flush it all with dexron to be safe, and bleed the PS by turning the wheel lock to lock several times, holding it for a second at each lock. don't overfill it either :D

Yep, what he said. May take a bit for all of the air to be purged out of the system. Keep an eye on the level for a few days after you do the bleed.

Originally posted by Ratty2Austin

...and it is also doing the same thing the last one did- it is foaming the ATF up badly!!

From that little snippet, I'm gathering that he's replaced the power steering fluid with ATF... at which point, if he does top off the pump with power steering fluid, it probably would foam...

Originally posted by MaroonDuneDoom

are you not supposed to use power steering fluid? i thought that is what it is meant for.

Take a look at the cap on your PS unit. It says to use ATF

From that little snippet, I'm gathering that he's replaced the power steering fluid with ATF...

No.. not replaced.. thats what's supposed to be there

power steering fluid is virtualy the same stuff as ATF but it suposedly has more antifoaming agents in it. I have used PS fluid with no trouble for many miles. I see vehicles all ther time at work where the fluids have been mixed up with no problems.

sometimes it does take a while to get all the air out of a system. if you already attempted bleeding and drove the car for a good while. I would check for leaks. its rare but if you have a leak in the system that alows air to be sucked in at some point you would have a problem with air bubbles. doubt thats it but just a thought.

never heard of p/s fluid boiling over. cant be a good thing.

there are no bleder screws.

you first add fluid. then with wheels off the ground turn wheels lock to lock a few times slowly. check fluid and add if needed. then start car and do the same thing. again top off fluid. if the car still makes noise drive it for a while it will usualy work the air out of the system. ( unless its my wifes car that hates me:banghead: )

this is the procedure I was given way back in school.

this is according to haynes manual...

1. chck fluid..add if necessary

2. if vehicle has air suspension..lower it...disconnect battery ground

3. raise and suppoert front of vehicle with jackstands

4. turn sterring wheel from lock to lock 2-3 times and recheck fluid level

5. start engine and let idle. turn steering wheel from lock to lock 2-3 times again and recheck fluid level

6. lower front of vehicle to ground. run engine, and again turn steering wheel lock to lock 2-3 times.. recheck fluid and position wheels in in the straight ahead position...

7. bleeding is complete if fluid did not rise from the full mark..more than .200 in (.5mm) and if no foaming is observed when engine is stopped..

hope that helps...