Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Largest tires without lift

Sarge

You can fit whatever size tire you want if you're willing to cut and bash enough.

But realistically?

29x8.50 would be as big as I would go without a lift (not that I would without a lift but whatever). You may end up with a little rub though no matter what if you go that big with no lift...

Just get a lift man. Come on. :)

if you can't say something nice......

Sarge, it's a pretty legit question, just ignore these guys. it really doesn't get asked too terribly often.

anyway, I've got a buddy with an EA81 hatch, that had quick and easy access to 29" swampers and 15" chevy steelies, so he cranked up the adjustable suspension, drilled out the wheels, and mounted 'em up. he ended up completely removing the front fenders, which mostly solved the problem, but they still rubbed a bit on the firewall. but I don't think he could cut enough off the back to keep the fenders from cutting up the tread.

so...to answer you're question, probably 27-28s....

• Like 1

If that's how you want to earn your post count.... :-\

I would say 25.5" with minimal, if any, bashing/cutting. If your serious about your offroading I would fit the 27" (26.6" in actual) Kumho's or similar. With a good offset rim they will go on with not so much work, but if the rim sticks out the body it will rub on the guard wall more.

I was leaning towards the 27x9.50 TSL SSRs and if y'all look at my pics you can see how much fender I have left... in reguards to all of you who want me to get a lift, I would love to put one on if y'all are willing to buy it and ship it to me. Right now I am in college and I am tired of catchin so much crap for my car, so I was gonna go ahead and put the wheels and tires on it. I am goin to wait till I am out of school in a couple of months to lift it so I have the Roo at home and a shop to work in.

No, I ain't skeered of using a BFH for a little persuasion. not a prob. I just figure I will have to rest my foot a little higher while I'm cruisin. How much do I have to worry about offset and backspacing with wheels? check out the Outlaw-II rims on summit and tell me if ya think they will fit ok. they are 15x7s

. If they won't work I will have to see if the j/y has a wheel pile down here.

hey im the one numbchux was talking about and i went to the tire place and got the cheap trailer rims and had my swampers mounted on those and i took the front fenders off cause they rubbed and took a big hammer and beat the firewall/rocker in and i had to readjust the doors so they would close right again and they dont rub up front any more and in back i just took a cut off wheel and a sawzall and cut a way but i should have cut more cause when you go over stuff it was cutting into my sidewall of the tires but if you cut more it might fit but if you want to keep you feneders then youll have to get smaller then 29" tires

Sorry guys... i'm with brian on this one

:horse::horse::horse:

I think it's about that time.... time for someone who has more ambition than i do, to make a calculator for these type of things....

wouldn't be that hard really.. just need some people to make measurements... and make a database.. and run some trig calculations from that stuff.

Sorry guys... i'm with brian on this one

:horse::horse::horse:

I think it's about that time.... time for someone who has more ambition than i do, to make a calculator for these type of things....

wouldn't be that hard really.. just need some people to make measurements... and make a database.. and run some trig calculations from that stuff.

too many variables, how much trimming/beating, adjustable suspension or not, worn springs/torsion bar, etc.

If there was a sticky about this all it could really say is 'for stock, if you don't want to cut/beat 25.5". If you don't mind cutting or beating, upto 29"...' Then again, we could just answer all these questions with that reply...

Although, if we had a sticky like the EA81 in Old Gen, maybe we could get something that is pretty accurate?

Sarge, no one here will know if they fit, unless someone here has already been using them.

If you plan on lifting your car later, i would just wait. Or else your going to beat the crap out of your car, cut a bunch of metal off... then later when you do install your lift, your car will look like snot.

Or, just grab a sawzall... and fit 31's. Im sure it can be done.

-Brian

I am gonna have to get another car to lift anyway, I had my car on a 2-post lift sunday to change the oil. I was checking out the bottom and decided there is way more floor pan patching than I originally figured. I might as well replace the entire underside of the car. that is why I decided to just run the wheels and tires until I can get another car to lift, then swap whatever I need off of this one. I don't want to junk it, I am considering some type of tube frame buggy when all is said and done. And not to sound :mad: or anything, but I just asked if anyone knew if I could run 15x7 outlaws or not, and what the biggest tire was I could run with moderate pounding and cutting. I didn't ask for a million dead donkeys and a bunch of people telling me what and why I should do something. I just simply asked if it was possible and if so, How.

And not to sound :mad: or anything, but I just asked if anyone knew if I could run 15x7 outlaws or not, and what the biggest tire was I could run with moderate pounding and cutting. I didn't ask for a million dead donkeys and a bunch of people telling me what and why I should do something. I just simply asked if it was possible and if so, How.

:lol:

No worries. It was all in good fun and I think you got the info you needed in the end anyway. :)

Gotta take a little ball busting on this board!

No, I never did find out if anyone knows what offset or amount of backspacing I need. y'all just slap a rim on and see if it fits?

I believe I told you 15x7 with 3.75" backspacing was a good setup in another thread.

But thats with a lift. So, sorry I can't be of more help. That's all I've got.

Stock rims have about 58mm offset I am pretty sure... I recommend getting some rims with an offset that just doesn't stick out the fender, that seems to be pretty good at not rubbing. I'll have to messure my mag's and offroading wheels offset to tell you what that is.

too many variables, how much trimming/beating, adjustable suspension or not, worn springs/torsion bar, etc.

Those are also the same variables that negate any answers towards the original question!

Yes, 28" TSL Swampers mounted on pugs have been used without a lift. That rig had good suspension and an experienced person doing the bashing and trimming.