Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Denver mad scientists - transmission lab: Lab ingredients/forumula FOUND!

BeefaRu

Why must the viscus center be used with the 4.11 gearing? I've found that the viscus diff in my legacy is completely pathetic and wouldn't want it offroad.

I can explain that in the manual. Long story short, when you drop to 4:11 you lose all compatibility with the mechanics of a locking center differential.

For me, the huge gearing drop was well worth it. The drop to 4:11 combined with better hi/lo combined with legacy 2.2 is really, really nice for doing jeep trails.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there's something wrong with my legacy, but if one wheel looses 100% traction the other wheels don't get enough power to move the car up a hill, or out of snow, etc. It just sits there and that wheel spins.

A cusco would be nice...

I belive the solution would be an Limited slip diff on either the front or the back, or you could be way uber super cool and do both, or you could be ultimate and do all 3.

350-400 bucks for obx which is an exact copy of the quaife equals awesomeness.

I belive the solution would be an Limited slip diff on either the front or the back...
I have a 4:11 LSD. Some forum members said it didn't look like it worked, but when I tried to pull a huge pickup out of the ditch in my front yard I left three big divots in the snow - two rear and one front.

Putting a little pressure on the brakes should help recover traction with a wheel off the ground; the brakes are plumbed diagonalish.

Phizinza and BeastIDrive have put a lot of work into similar transmissions.. basically, you have to match the pinion to the center diff because the pinion and shaft are once piece. There were locking center diffs made for 3.7 (RX) and 3.9 (XT6) and viscous diffs made for 3.9, 4.11, and 4.44 (EJ cars). Of course you could make a hybrid pinion shaft with 4.11 pinion and a locking diff's input end, but as Phizinza said, "you'd have to be a BLOODY good welder!"

one question:

can I build a EA82 Dual range 5speed with either the 4.11 or 4.44 final gear? , and if so what parts are needed?

Yes.

That's why I've offered to do the manual. So far only two donators though, and one of those donations is dependent on others being interested in donating. I haven't set a price because I don't know what people can afford.

Since this thread is long, how about I create another thread dedicated to seeing who's interested in donating?

I phrased it that way for a couple of reasons. I just don't want to be the only one footing this. I know money is tight people, but even $10 or $20 here and there would show Beefy we're serious. If he comes up with a general figure, and we get some guys to put up their money, I'm in. I just don't want to fork over the money, have no one else jump in, then end up with my money back, no write up and no trans. The no trans part would be very disappointing for me. I think this is a great idea and I would be willing to build these for people who wouldn't be able to do it themselves. I think Beefy was right, start a thread with a sticky for donations....

I phrased it that way for a couple of reasons. I just don't want to be the only one footing this. I know money is tight people, but even $10 or $20 here and there would show Beefy we're serious. If he comes up with a general figure, and we get some guys to put up their money, I'm in. I just don't want to fork over the money, have no one else jump in, then end up with my money back, no write up and no trans. The no trans part would be very disappointing for me. I think this is a great idea and I would be willing to build these for people who wouldn't be able to do it themselves. I think Beefy was right, start a thread with a sticky for donations....

New thread here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115414

So far only one donation offer besides yours, but I think it'll catch on once these guys figure out the killer transmission they could have in their car.

• 9 months later...

I know this is from the way back machine, but what is this pinion extender from? It is the last key to my puzzle I cant find.

Legacy trans disassembled.

RX tranny disassembled.

Cleaned both tranny's.

Theres a TON of differences in these units.

I see no need for the Legacy Viscous coupler. It looks like you can add the extender to the pinion shaft from the RX to make it still an "RX" trans with Legacy gears.

I also see no need to grind the differential area in the case. He may have been thinking of the rear diff where you'd have to do that.

Will take ALL of tomorrow to even come close to possibly getting the main case section back together.

Im still exploring on whether the lo gears from a non turbo 5 speed will fit/work.

• 2 months later...

I think its the hollow tube that fits over the pinion on the FT4WD pinion shaft, I have a single range FT4WD trans and noticed that on it, I also have a 4WD duel range and just need to get a 4.11 early gen lagacy trans and can hopefully build one.