Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Denver mad scientists - transmission lab: Lab ingredients/forumula FOUND!

BeefaRu

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, but the RX pinion may not play with the Leg VC and might require the Leg pinion. --E

I'd bet on it. but if the pinion works with the RX diff....it might work the other way around....

you guys should take about 350 trillion pics of this

How about JUST the VC from the legacy into the RX transmission?????????????????????????????????????????

I'm DYING TO KNOW!

You would probably be able to do the RX case, Legacy center case and VC and rear section. Downside would be custom driveshaft as these aren't identical in length to the older parts.

No lab assistants all me. I didnt get anywhere today, I started pressing gears and couldnt get a gear off the legacy shaft (the 3/4 gear) so I quit before more bad luck came after me.

if the front differentials are the same part number - with different ring gears - then it should fit without grinding. I doubt that the ring gears themselves are sized differently between ratios - they're just cut differently.

Shawn's got to be right about the builder recalling the rear differential.

Noah, I'd guess that it's better to use the Legacy ring gear on the original center - because the rear differential center needs the bolt holes enlarged as the 4.11 ring gear accepts larger bolts than the 3.7. I'd wonder if the same is with the rear? As you would have to swap the Legacy pinion gear,why bother.

Whats amazing about the whole thing is how much IS the same and then how much is completely different about these transmissions. You lay the pinion shafts alongside each other and until the extender rod out the back of the RX there isnt a damn thing different other than the diameter and shape of the pinion gear and the speedo gear drive on the 3/4 being different to compensate for the gear ratio.

I will try to snap some photos soon. With no lab assistants and just the smell of hypoid gear oil lingering I really wasnt in the mood to expose my digi to the "environment". :)

....Downside would be custom driveshaft as these aren't identical in length to the older parts......I started pressing gears and couldnt get a gear off the legacy shaft.
I concur; I've had custom shafts, but currently have a stock 2005 impreza shaft that went to Minnesota & back. Hmmmmm

I was also concerned about pressing gears & thought it might pose a problem without a significant press. I may be heading out very soon to another catastrophe and will keep tabs when possible. If not, I'll be here and available for anything I can do that might help.

already replace rear crossmember on a baja? we were thinking of getting a new turbo one.:headbang:

Sorry I should have clarified. Broken part had nothing to do with Subaru quality just somebody had to have hit something in the road to break the end link mount off.

Thread is on page 5....The "lab" has been mysteriously quiet.

You guys must be onto something.

For some reason, the "Young Frankenstein" movie comes to mind.

"For what we are about to see next, we must enter quietly into the realm of genius!"

image_frankenstein.jpg

I vote for staying out of the way until ShawnW says the magic words........"its ALIVE......ITS...A...LIVE!

--E

• 1 month later...

I'm about to get an 02 WRX trans...

Plan:

Keep 3.70 final drive, install Viscous center diff along with my Helical into the RX box.

I'll need the pinion and driven shafts, as well as the extension and transfer housings to complete this. Hopefully not the main shaft...but I've got lots of those...

Then...it'll be great. massive trac-SHUN! :clap:

Thread is on page 5....The "lab" has been mysteriously quiet.

I vote for staying out of the way until ShawnW says the magic words........"its ALIVE......ITS...A...LIVE!

--E

Not onto anything as of now. I am confident that I have all the pieces figured out I just left it sitting for so long that I have grown tired of working on it...especially by myself. Schedules weren't lining up very well in the beginning.

The other thing is my plates a little full...and MY priorities are to get my wagon on the road and our Outback sold....but if somebody shows interest in helping, looking at what I have, etc they are welcome to PM me and setup an afternoon or day on the weekend to come over and look at what is done so far thats going to bump it up in priority by tons.

Damnit, CO is a little far to go an play transmission one afternoon....:(

agreed!

it looks like I've got my hands on an RX transmission (from a guy who thinks it'd be possible to put a viscous locking center diff from a mazda 323 gtx in it), and legacy 4.111 trans, so I'll be trying this soon....

only thing I need now, is a 1.59:1 lo range gearset, and I'll be seeing what I can do.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Still be worth putting this sort of trans in an outback and using the bellhousing adpater. :)

I look at the trans everyday at work as it lies in a tool cart stuck in the corner. I think its been a year since I messed with it now.

When I get the book done, I'll be ready to dive in on that project.