Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

floorboard insulation source?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 diluded000

diluded000

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Larimer County

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

how yawl doing,

Seeing as how I sold the lifted wagon, I haven't posted in a while. Good to see lots of activity still going on. Anyway . . .

A couple of years ago somebody posted about some self adhesive floorboard insulation. I looked all over internet and this site, and couldn't find where to get it. Does anybod remember this, or know where to get something to put under the carpet on my current 4x4? It's loud and my feet get cold when gets around zero.

thanks
James B

#2 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:00 AM

Do what they do in Mexico- skin a couple of cats.:lol:

#3 diluded000

diluded000

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Larimer County

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

Do what they do in Mexico- skin a couple of cats.:lol:

Naw, then I would feel obligated to eat them. Cat skin is the traditional material for drums on banjos. Supposed to be real tough and thin.

#4 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:44 PM

Naw, then I would feel obligated to eat them. Cat skin is the traditional material for drums on banjos. Supposed to be real tough and thin.

Leave the fur on. That's what creates the sound deadening.

#5 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

wow this thread went south fast, i actually had a guy try to buy my cat for tacos last time my family was in mexico, not kidding we asked him why he wanted her yuck:-\

#6 diluded000

diluded000

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Larimer County

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:21 PM

Yeah, as much as I like to talk about alternative uses for cat . . . I would really like to find that sticky floorboard insulation. I'm pretty sure there was a writeup with pictures of this in a gen 2.

- James B

#7 coylethebarbarian

coylethebarbarian

Salvaging Subaru Savage..

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Albuquerque

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:25 AM

I've seen a few types in catalogs/magazines.

The first is "Dynamat" and is supposed to be a sound deading/insulator. It's listed in the Eastwood catalog or @ eastwood.com. Eastwood also has a 2nd generic? brand called "The Insulator". Both sets have various sizes/kits you can buy.

The 3rd one I've seen is called "Boom Mat". There is a write up in the december issue of Four Wheeler Magazine that the authors use for their interior overhaul project. I have not done an online search for Boom Mat yet, but Four Wheeler magazine lists "attitudeperformance.com" and "sylinconcepts.com" Start there.

I'm planning on using these sound deadeners/heat & cold insulators on my Brat's floor then coat the entire thing with the Herculiner I snagged at a closeout sale. Hopefully, not only will this solve some noise issues & heat issues but waterproof the interior as well.

Hope this helps.

#8 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:43 AM

I've heard great things about Raamat, and i believe he's on Nasioc, and owns subies.

#9 coylethebarbarian

coylethebarbarian

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Albuquerque

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:05 AM

I've heard great things about Raamat, and i believe he's on Nasioc, and owns subies.

Definitelly check out the RAAMmat...I just went to the link, and if his product is as good as all the testimonials say, and it is at a cheaper price than Dynamat, then I'll be going for it...

#10 BlueSteel

BlueSteel

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Tasmania, Australia

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:36 AM

ive used a heap of dynamat, it works really well

but ive heard a lot of good things about raamat. people over here (in aussie) are importing it and still coming out cheaper than dynamat with just as good results

#11 coylethebarbarian

coylethebarbarian

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Albuquerque

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:47 AM

ive used a heap of dynamat, it works really well

but ive heard a lot of good things about raamat. people over here (in aussie) are importing it and still coming out cheaper than dynamat with just as good results

Wish I could import a set of Desert Rat Wheels & a full sized spare from Oz...and still come out on top in the price game!!!

#12 Holmes

Holmes

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Oakland, CA

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:12 AM

JCWhitney.com has the more traditional stuff if your looking to
warm your feet a bit.
http://www.jcwhitney...rpet insulation

Or this place
http://www.stockinte...odelId=&MakeId=

#13 diluded000

diluded000

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Larimer County

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:23 AM

You are the men. Ummm that sounds wierd. Individually: you da man. Anyhow, thanks for the excellent sources. I looked at all these sites an am leaning towards the RAAMaudio stuff. I like the closed cell foam for the floorboard and the self adhesive stuff for inside the hardtop. The carpet should just lay on top of a couple layers of spray adhesive'd Ensolite, and I can stick a roll of the RAAMat BXT to the inside of the fiberglass hardtop to help keep that toasty and quiet. Hell, if I get Sirius satellite radio in there I might start driving the thing to work more often. When I get this installed I'll try to post some pix (even though it is in a jeep ).

thanks again
James B

#14 BruceyWV

BruceyWV

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • 39.658193 -79.964263

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:38 AM

+1 for the raammatt
I just got done matting mine down, cost basically nothing for how much it changed the car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users