Ultimate Subaru Message Board

it Was an Enormous Lunar Crater on the Road...

LunarCratersRoad.jpg?t=1176304553

:banghead:

it Happened while I Was on a Li´l Vacation Trip, My Subie was at around 85 KPH, and I Was travelin´ with other two People, and a certain amount of Luggage...

I did a Fast Steerin´ move to avoid the Impact -it was my First time on that road- and just the Driver´s Side, Rear Wheel did fell on that Huge Lunar Crater...

The Rim did also "Opened" like a Smashed Bannana... forget about the Tyre...

But Affortunately nobody got Hurt, but the Shock´s Bar went out enough to not leave me finnish the Trip... :mad: ...as the Wheel was impactin´ the Car... I Didn´t know that Steel can be twisted like that Without breakin´ :eek:

Well... Now I´ve fixed it. :burnout:

OUCH!!!!!! I speak very very little Spanish ( just some of the bad words ;) ) but we understod the Lunar thing...Got your message BTW and will be sending the "goods" to the addy you sent me by this weekend..

Glad everything is back in working order and no one was hurt...OUCH again

HOLY COW!!!!!!

I ran straight into a curb doing about 30 mph once (I was pulling left across traffic and didn't pay attention to where the median was) and I destroyed a tie rod end.. but NOTHING like that!!!

That must have taken some masterful driving after that impact to stay on the road safely.. good job!!

...That must have taken some masterful driving after that impact to stay on the road safely..

Yes, Really, Not Kidding; You can be Sure of That... and it was on a Curve too...

I Just Remember a deep Scary Loud Yell from the Passengers -I Was Changin´ the CD Tracks on the Stereo, so They saw that "Quasar" two seconds first than me- You Couldn´t Imagine it Mixed with a Huge Fat Crash Sound next... :eek: ...Like a Bomb, then a Tyre Screamin´ ...

We Slept on the Road that Night...

I Never saw Soo Many Bright Stars in the Night, well... I Was in the Middle of Nowhere...

... good job!!

Thanx!

That was Mainly how I Did Spent my Easter´s Day ... Now it Sounds Funny!

:burnout:

I almost mentioned this earlier, but since you said this happened on Easter (felices pascua florida, mi amigo)I gotta go into it..

I did a rear brake job on my Z car a few years back on christmas eve. At the time, I had a pair of mismatched wheels on the back because my wheel had gotten a flat tire.. my dad let me borrow the tires from his race car project. (normal tires at the time) ANYhow, MY mags used flat-style lug nuts, with a washer.. and the others used acorn style lug nuts (with a dished fit into the wheel hub) BUT none of use were really *aware* of that..

We were under the impression that these wheels just needed spacers to fit on a Z. Anyhow, I left my uncles place after a long, difficult rear brake job (I hate drum brakes) and on my drive home I noticed a clunking. It started to get worse, and I didnt have a cell at the time. I turned around to go back to my uncle's shop.. clunking is getting worse.. Finally, 1/4 mile or less down the road from my uncles, I went over a set of train tracks, and KICKED the rear drivers side wheel right off the car!!! 11:45 on christmas eve, in the middle of the ghetto.. (Ive been shot at on my uncles street for no reason before, right down the street from the projects, THAT kind of ghetto)

We had to use the rear bumper bracket to jack the car up enough to get a spare tire onto it, and I drove home. The next morning (christmas, remember) my oldest brother and I got to go back and search around the vacant lots to find the wheel.. it went bounding about 500-800 feet down the road and off into the grass. The only thing that hit the ground on the car was the extreme outside rear corner of the lower control arm... BUT that was only about an inch and a half lower than the corner of my fuel tank, which would have been the next bit to get hurt.

That was the day that I really really realized that my parents and older brothers dont know everything, after all.....

I too am amazed that thing didn't break. I've seen and done some pretty good damage to cars, and not seen that happen before.

I'm just glad you were able to keep the car under control, and that nobody was hurt because of it.

Was this on the white wagon?

Edit: Any pics of the wheel?

... (felices pascua florida, mi amigo) ...

¡Oh, Grácias! :)(it means Thank You!)

... I turned around to go back to my uncle's shop.. clunking is getting worse.. Finally, 1/4 mile or less down the road from my uncles, I went over a set of train tracks, and KICKED the rear drivers side wheel right off the car!!! 11:45 on christmas eve, in the middle of the ghetto.. ....

Well... The Good thing about, is that you Didn´t get Hurt... and your car didn´t fell stuck in the Middle on the Train´s Tracks while it was Comin´ :eek:

it Remembers me the 1992 Christmas Eve ... My White Wagon Ran Out of Gas at 10:50 pm, in the Middle of the Road Back Home! (about 7 Km from Home) :-\ I Was soo in a Hurry to get Home Prior to Midnight, (I was bringin´ some Christmas Presents) and I Didn´t saw the Li´l Amber cube light near the Gas Gauge... :banghead:

So, I Walked back to get Gas :mad: and I Found one Gentleman that gave me half Gallon from his Car... but he Didn´t took me back to my car, so I Walked Back, Poured the Gas on my Subie... and I Finally Went Home at about 2:00 am...

Everybody was Slept and I Didn´t get my Christmas Hug... :( ...Also, next Mornin´ my Parents were mad with me...

...Was this on the white wagon? Edit: Any pics of the wheel?

Yes, it was on the White Wagon... and I Didn´t took any Pics due to the Lack of Batteries for my Friend´s Camera (Digital Cameras Sucks a Lot of Batteries... well at Least that Samsung A302) My Sister Broke my Digital Camera last December... We took too many Pics that Easter Vacation (Called Here "Holy Week") and that Night the Camera was Dead.

I´ll Loved to Post here Pics of that Enormous Crater... So you can Figure out the Situation.

I Asked some People about How could be Possible that Crater didn´t had any Warnin´ Banner or Somethin´ Alike, and then one man, at the Tyre Repair center -Next Mornin´- said that it was a "Brand New" Crater :eek: "instantly Made" due to the Heavy Rain that happens along two days before, the Water Flow broke the Old Concrete Pipes that went under the Road and the Under Road´s Ground went with the Water Flow... :confused: ...so the Hugest Crater I Ever Seen was Made in two Days of Rain!

Could you Believe it? ... Maybe due to the Old Age of our Roads... that was from 1972 and Survived the Fifí, and Mitch Hurricanes, just to Mention Few Famous...

I´ll Save that Twisted Strut... is Unbelievable.

I got Lucky to Find in a Junk Yard an Old Well Strut. :burnout:

no, I cannot say that I have.. tires are fairly strong bits of rubber and metal, they usually stay in one piece.. they might get SHREDDED, but they usually stay in one piece and just flap all over the place...

my brothers bought an ITS 240Z racecar from a guy down in Miami about a year ago, and he had an interesting wheel at his house.. I wish I had photographs of it.

The guy works at a high end auto shop, and a woman drove in in a Ferrari once, with a wheel that she had fishtailed into a curb at 80 miles an hour (~120KPH?)

The rim was a five spoke wheel, and FOUR of the spokes had been COMPLETELY severed from the rim by the force of the impact!! she DROVE IT IN with the hub connected to the rim by only ONE SPOKE, and it wasn't a very thick spoke, either...

I hope its fairly obvious why he KEPT the wheel she broke... :eek:

Oh, that was you? Sorry 'bout that, my bad!!! JK
:banana:

someone broke into the complex and ripped my dads tools off.. a bit later, someone tried entering when another tenant was there, tenant fired a couple warning shots at him... a week or two later, sunday night (always the worst night for "activity") i was getting set to leave, in my car, foot on brake but still in park talking to my uncle through the window... suddenly, bangbangbangbangbangbangbang!!!!

My uncle was in viet nam.. he immediately knew wtf was up. I... didnt... if any of the first few shots had my name on them, I wouldve been a goner; I didnt duck until most of the rounds had gone off. NOW I know better... they were just firing pot shots at us to spook us back... the buggers.

I love people of all shapes sizes and colors.. but that doesnt mean that there arent individuals to whom epithets apply very well.

• 1 year later...

Some time Ago, I Found an Old Newspaper that Got a Picture of That Enormous "Instant Pothole" I`ve Mentioned ... and a SUV Literally "Swallowed" by it! :eek:

A Picture Worth Thousand Words:

HugeCrateronRoad2.jpg?t=1208930889

Unlike that SUV, I was Driving in the Other Way (Coming, instead of Going)

We, the Hondurans, Ussually Refer to our Country as "The Alice Country" ... Because here, Everyday Happens Unvelibable Crazy "Wonders" ( :-\ )

In that picture above. Ha...you can see it was a Mitsubishi, anyway.

So who cares? If it were a Subie, we could all feel bad. But that wouldn't happen, since the Subaru would have simply JUMPED over the hole...right?

The worst I ever got stuck was definitely last October up near Greenwater in the Mount Rainier area. (outside the National Park, on a Forest Service road)

The left side of road just collapsed, and my wagon slid about four feet down, only being stopped from rolling down the side of a mountain by the trees that were in the way. I couldn't get it out even with my equipment and all my tricks. So...I set up camp nearby.

The next day, a guy came along in a big Dodge truck and we used my tow chain to pull it out of there.

No, it Wasn`t a Construction site, it was a Road`s Pothole; The Road where it Happened is -Still- Under Reconstruction.

During a Huge RainStorm, the under Road Drain flow Systems sometimes Break and Fail, so the Water open those Holes under the Old Roads.

...there is and excavator AND a bulldozer in the background, ...

Yes, They`re There `cos the People that was inside the Car, Called Emergency Phone, and the Road`s Reconstructing men, went there to Help... Then the Newspaper`s Reporter took the Photo.

You Won`t see Traffic Signals `cos Road was on Reconstruction; Remember: it is a Developing Country :-\

I was searchin` on Internet for that pothole, I didn`t found it Yet...