Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For those in rust free lands:

Alot of the rust issues with east coast rust belt cars also does rely on the owner....If you keep your car ..from day one...well waxed...and wash the salt off and inspect them regularly...you can keep the rust under control. I grew up in the car capital of the country ( for shows /restoration..etc etc) Carlisle PA....and you wouldnt believe the amount of non-rusted cars there...I worked part time in a junk yard and I know what was up on the hill...the badly rusted ones were the completely neglected ones.

You just have to keep up with them..and check those un-expected parts...like where Mary stated on her 78 and keep up with everything. You bring western cars over here and the rust will catch up if you dont take care of everything regularly.Perfect example is Bucky....how can this car be in the condition that its in?? I take time to keep up with it..and fix it as needed...believe me .if I owned it from day one I would have had to fix next to nothing on it ( rust)...but then again I am fanatical about my cars apperience...I wont drive it with big dents etc unless I have too

My point was that "rust maintainace" is not needed out west. Even good examples of salted area cars have some rust, or have needed some rust repair. Out west these cars still have they're original exhaust! In perfect shape! The rust can't keep "catch up" on ya cause it never starts.

You just have to keep up with them..and check those un-expected parts...like where Mary stated on her 78 and keep up with everything. You bring western cars over here and the rust will catch up if you dont take care of everything regularly.Perfect example is Bucky....how can this car be in the condition that its in?? I take time to keep up with it..and fix it as needed...believe me .if I owned it from day one I would have had to fix next to nothing on it ( rust)...but then again I am fanatical about my cars apperience...I wont drive it with big dents etc unless I have too

I'm totally anal about my cars, 4 coats of wax go on in the spring and again in the fall, weekly (sometimes more) washings/vaccuming, monthly waxings in summer... one during January thaw...I learned the hard way years ago. When something breaks it's fixed immediately.

I'm totally anal about my cars, 4 coats of wax go on in the spring and again in the fall, weekly (sometimes more) washings/vaccuming, monthly waxings in summer... one during January thaw...I learned the hard way years ago. When something breaks it's fixed immediately.

Mary..it shows too :grin: ...your cars have that "Pride in Ownership" look all about them..I am just about as bad...Rocky..perfect example...can't take him to Carlisle looking like the crapheap that he is..:rolleyes: ...so right now he is a polished turd lawn ornament till if figure out his new starting issue.. I am thinking on bringing him up to your Wicked Big Meet..if funds allow

Careful what you wish for Bro- W/ snow usually comes salt... Wanna trade locations for awhile?:grin:

Even where we get snow here I doubt it's enough to salt the roads. I haven't heard of salting going on here. Although it's a 2800km drive to the snowies from where I live.. Just last year though, for the first time that we know of, we had ice on the wind screens and on our house roof.. So maybe with all this globle warming stuff it might start snowing here, eheh..

It's not the snow that is the problem. It is the salt that is put down afterwards. I'm in Delaware. You'd think this was the salt capital of the U.S. 3" of salt for every 1" of snow it seems. The salt actually becomes a skid hazard due to not being able to stop on it. The other problem it causes is the huge pot holes it makes in the roadways.

You can't win. Many people drive like idiots so you have to clear the roadways. :mad:

I heard somewhere that there was a cemical that can be used instead of salt these days that doesn't rust your car..

Luckily Colorado doesn't allow salt on the roads:banana: My 91' Loyale doesn't have a speck of rust on it. Sorry about the rust in the northeast:mad:
My loyale that came from Colorado (I'm from there originaly) has plenty of rust on the body. The underside is in good condition. On the other hand, I looked at a GL wagon here in central NC and the underside had so much rusr I wouldn't have driven it on the road. The sad thing is they had no problem getting it tp pass inspection with all that rust on the sub frame, but mine barly passes couse of the rusr on the body and a solid sub frame.(people think backwards around here)

....the 'west' coast has its fair share of rusted out soobs-... i see very few soobs that are 'nice' underneath. my 83 gl wagon has seen better days- its lived in several states from new mexixo, to alaska, now washington, who knows where else... it is pretty much gone, no frame rails to jack it up, they are GONE! beleive it or not... also here in wa most soobs and cars for that matter are usually rusted in the same areas, those areas that see the most abuse, and not much care.

-think of those in utah- great salt lake- they pretty much use only salt for their roads... it works great for the purpose but has its tolls on machinery/cars.

i dont think this to be totally true- as you said most. there are some of us out here who really really do appreciate non-rusted vehicles. you can usually tell the people who take care of their belongings....

Totally. The worst is that most of the west-coasters don't appreciate what they have. So it's our duty as east coasters to take the cars away from them to a place where they will be appreciated.

Just a note for everyone bemoaning the rust-belt:

Your problem is spreading; Oregon started using a liquid de-icer three years ago that is only put on the roads once and is supposed to work all winter. Very cost effective... oh, and it's three times as corrosive as salt.

Yep, I'm the proud owner of a sadly decripid Brat that I bought after the point of no return. It really sucks, My hatch is getting surface rust in a few spots underneath. But it lived its live in CO before it came out here a few years back. Warm weather to me just means its time to get her on jackstands and go to work.

BTW I won't sicken anybody further with pictures of my brat.

:mad: I hate these pictures. And these are just a few of the bad areas.

Pass side frame support and floor board hole.

2007_0515speedo0006.jpg

Driver's side hole and frame

holeinfloorboarddriverside.jpg

2007_0515speedo0008.jpg

This is where the torsion tube should mount on the passenger's side

2007_0515speedo0007.jpg

a couple body shots.

2007_0112Image0001.jpg

2007_0112Image0003.jpg

passsiderocker.jpg

Just a note for everyone bemoaning the rust-belt:

Your problem is spreading; Oregon started using a liquid de-icer three years ago that is only put on the roads once and is supposed to work all winter. Very cost effective... oh, and it's three times as corrosive as salt.

Yeah, they started using that in Colorado a few years ago. Kills trees on the downhill side of the road too. Whatever happened to everyone buying studded snow tires and driving slower in the winter?

Z

Yeah, they started using that in Colorado a few years ago. Kills trees on the downhill side of the road too. Whatever happened to everyone buying studded snow tires and driving slower in the winter?

Z

In my area, the ones that are contracted to destroy the roads with salt in winter, also hold the contracts to repair them in spring/summer.

What ever happened to full-time RWD? Fewer incidents back then. Skid a bit... recover... people "drove" cars then, now cars drive people. Newer high end cars are re-instituting RWD but with a flip into AWD. Still can't beat your basic 4 WD... ever. The DPW only used sand back then.