Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heating fan switch for Loyale

The blower is in the passenger side footwell area, just behind the lower dash panel. You can see the motor portion of it sticking out of the Ducting. 3 screws hold it in. The resistor pack is mounted a bit further along in the ducting.

Should be 12v at the Fan motor whenever the ignition is on and a vent position selected(not in off). If no voltage then relay is bad or other disconnection in that circuit.

If there is voltage at the fan but no ground continuity at the other wire when blower switch is on, then the switch or resistor pack is bad.

That's good to know! I'm probely not being clean on what i'm saying! Ok the Blower motor is fine because i get heat and it blow's but my problem is the fan speed switch is bad because only speed's 3 and 4 work!

So my question is where can i get one:confused: ! Because all the site's i find only have the blower motor.:-\ I dident try a Subaru dealer yet. So do you or anyone else no of a site that has one?

Thanx for any help! Tom........:burnout:

my problem is the fan speed switch is bad because only speed's 3 and 4 work!

Most of the time this is a bad resistor. Near the blower motor there is a white 4 pin connector. It goes to the resistor which is screwed to the blower housing toward the firewall.

It is more common for the resistors to be burned out when some of the speeds for the motor don't work. The resistors look like coils of wire. You will find them by following the wires between the motor and the resistor block fastened to the duct. Remove the block and see if any of the coils are open.

If the switch really is the trouble that is a dealer item I think.

Just so i know what i'm doing is this the right box?

The reisitors are part of the "box". Actually, the box part covers the terminals, but the whole thing comes off together, you are on the right track.

It is hard for me to tell looking at the blurry picture if that is the correct part. The wires tied between the motor and the resistors should lead you to the correct piece. I have replaced the resistors in other vehicles before but not in a Subaru.

Yeah i know the pic is a little blury! That's because the battury were almost dead! Yeah i think it is the right box beause i got one screw out but the other is really messed up!!:mad: I think someone tryed to take it out once and striped the screw! So thanx alot DaveT and Cougar! I would have never known about that!:banana:

USMB is the beast!!!!!!

Yeah i know the pic is a little blury! That's because the battury were almost dead! Yeah i think it is the right box beause i got one screw out but the other is really messed up!!:mad: I think someone tryed to take it out once and striped the screw! So thanx alot DaveT and Cougar! I would have never known about that!:banana:

USMB is the beast!!!!!!

Theres an arm attached to it held in by on of the blower motor bolts. And There 2 litlte screws on the box. They have little metal clips on the back that they screw into, and those do like to strip. You'll need to get or fashion new clips to get it to screw back on.

that's definitely the resistor pack. it's easy to get out, but good luck getting a new one. I've had 4 EA82 subarus, and never had one that speeds 1 or 2 worked. and never seen one in a junkyard with more than 1 intact resistor.

Hey Gloyale, I think i know the arm your talking about! Anyhoo hey Numbchux, It's that hard to find a new resistor pack? How about if i try the Subaru dealer?? Now the other problem i have is getting it out, Because someone really f***ed up one screw the head is totely round and the screw is stuck!!!!:mad: But i guess speed's 3 and 4 are ok for now since it's summer. I mean i've got AC but i've got to recharge it. And i've got to do a Oil pump/micky mouse seal and timing belts! Because i've got a light ticking of the lifters o the driver's side. And i have a small oil leak coming from the front of the timing cover. So i've got all the parts/seal's and O-ring's. So hope it go's smoothly when the time comes!

Thanx for the help all!:headbang: Tom.....

i got your PM, but wasn't around for a couple days. it looks like you got this taken care of. like already mentioned, the resistor pack likely needs replaced. you could try cleaning it and soldering it or taking it to an eletrical shop, they may be able to fix it for you.

or just get a used one or two. they don't fail all that often, not enough to warrant paying whatever outrageous amount the dealer wants. of course the last post with part numbers might allow you to find them somewhere else, i wouldn't know where though.

for used ones, try posting the Parts Wanted section of this forum, someone on here can probably help you out. i imagine most if not all EA82's share that part, so it should be easy to find. and any junkyard with the blower fan will have the resistor as well so long as they still have the vehicle, they just might not list it in their computers and such. so ask around until you find one willing to check for you.

Hey Gary, Yeah i guess i've got it takin' care of. But thanx anyway!:grin: And ellets yeah those Part #'s will really help! Is the RU253 the Subaru#??:confused: I figure if i go to Subaru and take the part# with me i should be able to get a new one.

Thanx dude's!:banana:

Aww ************ your right!!!!:dead: The crappy part is i have to see if i can cancelle my order with SUBARU 2morrow! The problem was they don't list it on the site unless you put a part# in!

Thanx bro you mite hae saved me some $$$$$ Later, Tom,......

GREAT NEWS!!!! I just got my Blower resistor today from Subaru! Paid $64.89 but it work's great! Now i've got all the speed's!:banana: :banana: :clap:

Hey by the way does anyone know how i can recharge my AC? And if so where do i get the recharge kit and what's the type??

They used to carry recharge kit's at Autozone b ut i dident know when kind i take!!

So if anyone can tell me i'd be pretty happy:lol:

L8R, Tom........