Ultimate Subaru Message Board

posi-traction

posi traction is very possible. what you need to get is a lsd (limited slip differential) out of one of the ea82 turbo cars. or find one here on the marketplace. and change the 3.7 ring and pinion to the 3.9's in your d/r rear differential. and bolt her straight back into the car.

"Posi" is a detroit locker - not limited slip. Limited Slip approzimates the locking effect, but will act differently. The detroit lockers are primarily for drag racing, as they take a lot of wheel spin to engage, and once engaged, the wheels are locked solid. A limited slip is as locked as it's going to be all the time, but with enough force you can overcome the lock - thus they still will slip - it's just "limited"

GD

detroit lockers do not require wheel spin to engage!!!!!!!

they are more similar to a welded diff than a lsd ever could be.

a detroit is always engaged. except like on corners on pavement. you'll hear a load clunk as the mechanical portion disengages. but it takes a hell of a lot of differential forces to disengage it. no wheelspin required. otherwise they are locked solid. my dad and family in their 4wd's have been using them for years. locked, that's why they are popular in jeeps and offroad rigs. if they required wheelspin to engage, they wouldn't use them. they are a far superior design to welding the diff. and even more superior design than posi or lsd diffs

a true posi-traction is a limited slip. it was a name brand from older either dana axles or ford axles. all it is, is a limited slip. clutches and all that crap. no true locking device. it just helps keep them together at the same speed but gives fairly easily. just like a lsd. an lsd is a knock off of an original posi-traction idea. look at the auburn posi designs for truck axles. hmmm kind of funny how all it is, is a limited slip. no true locking device. all it does is help get positive traction to both wheels. major misconception of what a posi is!!

a lsd is not locked all the time it slips all the time. that's why you don't get chatter around corners. like a welded diff..... but it resists the slipping effect.

i'm not the one to argue with about locking differentials. i've been into 4wheeling with other types of vehicles for too long. and helping modify solid axled vehicles since i was 12 i learned quite a few things. and for sure as hell detroits don't take wheelspin to engage.

posi traction means positive traction. not a locked diff!! i don't know where you got your information but it's very flawed.

if you want to argue about ox lockers, arb, detroit, lsd/posi or anything like that i'm not the one to argue with. cable locker, air locker, and mechanical, and clutches.

For what it's worth, a month or so ago I read on the Offroad Subarus of Queensland website that there was a small number (10? or was it 30?) genuine Detroit Lockers made for Subarus. It sounded like they were all probably in Australia but one never knows what treasures lie rusting in pastures, driveways, and junk yards.

Pardon me - got my terminology mixed up.

I stand corrected then.

I also say if your going for hard core off-road - Welding is the cheapest, and most surefire way of getting your traction. Some people run the LSD's - others say they aren't as good. But everyone agrees that welding works off-road. That's where my money is.

GD

welding is the cheapest and the only real easy way to get a homemade spool/locker for the subaru. and that's the only way i'll go in the rear till detroit makes a locker for the rear. then i'll go detroit. not to mention the lsd in the front is a great thing to add too.... i can't wait till i get mine back with a front lsd... :D

now i just need to find the rummered 5.13 gears for the rear diffs... so i can lower my gearing even more...