Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New oilfilter so tiny

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rverdoold

rverdoold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 650 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

Going to replace oil this weekend and got new oil filter: MANN filter W67/1, its hard to get hold on subaru filters and MANN seems to be pretty good from some filter reviews in europe (largest surface). However this filter looks so small. Sizes are 2.6 inch wide, hight is about the same and bolt size is M20 1.5 all these numbers seem right to me.
Guess they just get small these days.

#2 pete san

pete san

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Ann Arbor

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

The smaller filter is just that, smaller. If you want clean oil, I would suggest using a MagnaFilter. It spins on in front of your standard oil filter, and uses a magnet to get all the hard metal particles. There are a few places out there on the web, try Broncograveyard.com or usautoparts.com.

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,568 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

I just bought a Mobil One filter, and it was tiny too. The auto engineer in me knows size isnt everything, but the gear head in me thinks that larger filter means more oil cooling, flow, can cooling.

I trust Mobil One filters so I went with it.

nipper

#4 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

If you're going with Mobil 1, you could use the Honda M1-104 filter, which is larger than the M1-108 specified for Subarus.

In Europe, you could also use Mahle OC330, which is larger.

#5 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

those smaller filters will do the job, especially in the newer effiecent burning cars...if you look inside and compare for example a Subi filter to a Purolator, the subi filter is more tightly compacted...I have had the oil analysed on my 2001 at 5200miles, mostly highway miles at high speeds in very hot weather,...I was told "the oil was still good for much more since the TBN was only 4.3...1ppm chrome" (so a magnetic would serve no purpose here).."the oil and air filter are doing a very good job at keeping the dirt away"....I use either a mahle or nippon filter from rockauto and from walmart the Motorcraft semi-syn 5/20

Edited by Petersubaru, 20 March 2009 - 07:43 PM.

#6 bgambino

bgambino

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • new york

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:26 AM

I agree...they are tiny....doesn't instill me with confidence...we know that bigger is not always better...but you would think in this case it would be

#7 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

If Fuji Industries is happy with the smaller filter on their WRX and STi models, I'm content to use it on my '97 Impreza.:)

#8 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

In high rpm applications such as racing, a smaller filters helps maintain more consistent and steady oil pressure due to less flex in the can and better responsiveness of the bypass valve.

For "normal" use, for which longevity and durability rather than preventing catastrophic failure are the goals, I would tend to think that a larger filter is better.

In the end, it's easier for Subaru to stock one filter for all their 4-cylinder offerings.

Edited by hohieu, 21 March 2009 - 10:09 AM.
typo

#9 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

I expect that if ''Vince'' isn't sucessful enough with ShamWow and the Slap-Chop/Graty infomercials, he's going to cut up ShamWow material, pack it into the grater, and hawk it as the latest oil filter innovation. ;)

#10 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

For the sake of our European OP, do you think "Vince" is hawking his wares over in Europe?

#11 rverdoold

rverdoold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 650 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

I took of the old filter and fitted the tiny new one after checking with an other car parts store. System is a bit different here than US. There are not so many parts stores and Wal-mart where you can buy simple car parts. Service intervals are every 12,500 km (about 7500 miles) much more than over there.
THink it will run fine, will see.

Attached Files

Edited by rverdoold, 21 March 2009 - 11:54 AM.

#12 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

For the sake of our European OP, do you think ''Vince'' is hawking his wares over in Europe?

I don't know about the Netherlands. However, Vince apparently already has a Spanish-language version out. :eek:

To be more on-topic, the OEM Subaru part # 15208AA100 is the same ''small'' size that the OP described for the replacement.

#13 EvilDead

EvilDead

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Up on Cripple Creek

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

If Fuji Industries is happy with the smaller filter on their WRX and STi models, I'm content to use it on my '97 Impreza.:)

Yup first time I changed the oil on the WRX, I was like awwww how cute!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users