Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Diff locked rear diff Open whose done it? whats the results?

In the wheeling world, its best to have your front locked and your rear open if you had to pick only one. This is for technical, low speed crawling or obsticles.

Pros: The tires with the most weight over them, has the most traction & pull you over obsticles.

Cons: Steering is going to be a ***************.

In the wheeling world, its best to have your front locked and your rear open if you had to pick only one. This is for technical, low speed crawling or obsticles.

Pros: The tires with the most weight over them, has the most traction & pull you over obsticles.

it's a matter of preference.

I prefer rigs with a locked rear, as the end with the least weight over it tends to lift a wheel first, and therefore needs the locker first.

also, when hillclimbing, all the weight transfers to the back, so having both fronts spinning just doesn't help enough.

but, I've never driven a rig with manual lockers front and rear to try different setups independent of other factors (we've got a couple jeep guys in our club that swear by locked fronts....but it's hard to say if a different suspension setup might be responsible for what I'm feeling).

when it comes down to it, we all drive our rigs on the street (not necessarily daily....but non of them are trailer queens), and are too cheap for manual lockers.....so pretty much all of us have locked rears (no...not me, yet).

The way I see it, if youre taking the trans apart to weld the front diff, thats cool as long as its never going to be street driven, I could see possible issues with that... But if it could be a multi purpose vehicle, then a good quality LSD would be the thing to swap in, although they are not cheap, I think i read the cheapest one was over 400 bucks :eek: which is why I will probably just run welded rear diffs and open fronts, until I build the subframe for my Brat, and run a T case, then I can have a rear LSD in the front and a welded rear :banana:

-Bill

My wife's Wagoneer has a Detroit locker up front and an open rear diff- I really dislike that setup. It's impossible to steer under power in mud and snow, since both tires want to go the same speed. It just plows straight. Ideal setup is a good automatic locker in the rear, with a selectable in the front. I don't think ARB has one for a Subaru though-

Scott.. I recently welded up a diff on a FWD XT. Care was taken in the process and it was welded properly (tig welded with a similar alloy). I don't have any results as to running an open 4wd with it obviously cause it doesnt have one. I can tell you that its not as bad as one might think driving with a locked front end. Traction is way better, and believe it or not it doesnt complain too much when you drive it on the street.

on another note though... TWO HANDS ON THE WHEEL. even with power steering even the smallest rock in your way jerks the wheel one way or another. It does tend to have understeer problems in tight hairpin corners, but it didnt seem any worse to me than driving in a normal 4wd suby locked in 4wd.

-Mike

picture.php?albumid=124&pictureid=1352

The car gets its tires changed depending on conditions alot. Sometimes its running stock 13" alloys with herculies 170/70r13 somethingerather tires.. other times its running 15" redrilled toyota rims, with winterforce snow tires mounted on them. (205/60r15 studs removed, excellent for rallying and still street legal)

Tirewear is increased if your doing a lot of city driving. If your highway driving I dont think it makes a darn bit of difference. Oversteer isnt really noticable if your driving on the same streets everyone else is. Riding passenger, I havent observed any turns where he had to stop and back up and make it a 3 pointer.

There is actually BETTER turning if your going in reverse on dirt,(probably because the inside tire will be turning faster than it should, kicking the trailing end out.) but its not like we use that maneuver all the time so who cares.

I would not recommend going with tires any larger than the 205/60R15 on street. Unless you have an EJ in there, your simply going to run out of horsepower on low speed tight turns, and the drivetrain will get angry at you. If your going on dirt only, low gear equipped, Id say sure, try an all terrain and see what happens.

You are assuming that the front's have more weight on them. Which for most empty pickups and SUV's is true. But for something with a more equal weight balance (like some subaru's, especially wagons with a bunch of stuff in the back :), I'd think that the rear would have equal weight, especially going up a hill as the weight transfers to the back. Oddly, my friend's 1980 scount has exactly 50/50 weight balance... not sure how, as it has a 800lb V8 in the front, but it is a 5,000 lb truck too... He has the locker in the rear, and an open front.