Ultimate Subaru Message Board

seen it here in bfe

since people dont like the front end styling, they commercial it with the rear end which still looks decent.

people hate the front and they wont commercialize that part of it YET.

And, who really wants an SUV, we want something small with SUV capable suspension, in a small package. SUVS suck. why advertise that even. :(

they used to advertise stuff with built affordable to stay affordable. They use to last 300k easily, but since the 2.5, no way in hell without prciey maintenance. Gone down the hill in my book.

Eveybody pissed in my wheaties today they better stop. I believe in Subaru FUJI...but not recently due to the ej25. Prove me wrong. I lvoe the ej22, love the EA81 but not the current tech .

and please, never put Microsoft tech (active sync in my future of a car) microsoft crashed every day and crashed hard and regular. I dont want my car to crash due to it. that is bad juju for anycar. Now if they put Apple Os n a car it would last and not crash and fail all the time.

Edited by bheinen74

More room for adventure? :-\ They've done nothing but gone backwards - bring back the dual range, center diff lock and clutch type LSD!!

I am disappointed too. I would be curious to know if it's an industry wide loss of quality. But I'm sure that's unanswerable.

This isn't even an EJ25 discussion, it goes way beyond that. Loss in reliability with EJ vehicles:

EJ25 head gasket, piston slap, lower end failure, torque bind, wheel bearings, struts, knock sensors, cylinder misfire sensitivity, yellowing headlights, rusting fuel filler pipes, sway bar end links.

All of those are nearly absent on old gen stuff (or very, very rare). The discrepancy between old gen torque bind and EJ stuff is unbelievable.

I can't complain too much since I've also made a lot of money on these issues!:slobber::lol::rolleyes: I do like all of the upgrades in interior, trim, size, etc. So I do still like them, but I think wheel bearings and struts have me about run out of patience right now.

As for windows, XP and Vista are quite reliable (not an MS fan, but MS has at least come a long way in terms of crashing). Keep equipment, software, antivirus up to date and it will perform well.

Edited by grossgary

#1 what screws up microsfot is all the stupid programs you load it with and all the websites that are visited, and not knowing how to force close a window.

Gross get over the daul range issue :P . It wont happen as very few people want it, its very expensive to make, and not worth the marketing to the socermoms who cant even bother to read an owners manual let alone find out who the other stick works.

Most drivers dont even know how to use turn signals.

I just wanted to make an observation of the commercial, not get you in old foggie mode. Remeber Christmas is coming and i havent go you your coal yet (and others have just a bad issues as you posted for those years, if not worse).

nipper

I'm not all complaints, I tout Subaru enough too. 10 strokes for every kick or so. really in discussion mode, not trying to bash. I honestly am curious if major make-overs or other makes generally have this happen.

I don't have a need for dual range and never talk about it (I shouldn't say that one week from trying to go up a mountain access road to 10,000 feet in Colorado?)

They took away dual range, center diff lock (which is amazing), and rear clutch type LSD's. Point is that for that they add these *features* - torque bind, Duty C failures, and a Differential Equation for figuring out what the final drive is!:lol:

Torque bind and Duty C failures are non-existent in 4EAT XT6's. Same with all the other things I've listed, almost non-existent except maybe struts, but those aren't as robust.

Edited by grossgary

could it be that there are for EJ stuff sold than EA stuff?Stuff like struts and wheel bearings could be going out at the same rate but because there are more cars out there you hear about it more?

I dunno my legacy had blown struts at all four corners when I bought it and its a 93.It had 144K on the clock when I bought it.Although Ive never had to replace the struts on anything ive owned prior.sure the struts on my 84 probally could be replaced,but they arnt sagging to the point that I am getting fender rubbing on hard corners...

However, I am pretty sure my car bombed down dirt roads and anything else before I bought it, so its hard to tell.

Having owned enough of the various years Subarus..I can say this.. My 08 Imp 5 spd AWD has been far superior then my 88 XT6 FT4WD with diff lock ..in rain snow and whatever is thrown at it. My 95 Legacy..well I just dont like it..could be the fact its an AT and I hate ATs.

I had more problems with my XT6 then anything I ever owned. My 92 Loyale had its issues ..but never left me sit or had to come home on a tow truck. It had wheel bearings go out just as much as my Legacy has.

I put a TON of miles on my cars.. And try to keep them for awhile..

Liek I have said plenty of times.. I have had my 08 Impreza now for 2 years...42K miles..without any problems. I look at it this way.. for every 1 complaint about something..there are 10 people who havent had any problems.. you only hear about the bad..I see so many EJ25s that have well over 200K and never had the head gasket issue.... I have seen ER27s with 110K miles fail.. EA82s with 60K fail....EA82s with 230K miles on them and still fine.

I think its all how they are taken care of.

I like the new commercials..cause ..to me ..it shows that the car can still be used for more then being the grocery go getter... I think thats the point they are trying to get across

Subaru's are the worst cars, except for all the others. Like farms of old, the automobile has become the training vehicle for humility. The denizens of this site and its sisters have enabled the untrained masses to, horrors, maintain modern vehicles with unconventional methods and materials, for example my personal favorite rust-inhibitor, roof tar. Nothing against those who have real skills, but be cautious about leading us untalented folks astray.

For example, a doctor might be convinced that sickness is the lot of mankind, but for all the well people outside the hospital seen on sabbatical. After practicing for a good while, the doctor and the mechanic begin to see common patterns of failure, each people group and machine model having its own characteristic special breed of brokenness. Skilled caretakers of broken people and machines should not say "it was better when" for this is folly. Let the wise become wiser still. Fight the good fight. Subaru still believes in mixing mud and engineering.

Personally I thinkt he new line of subarus absolutly suck. I have looked them over and under and they are ugly, too big, and nothing but plastic. Plastic, intakes :mad:, plastic this and plastic that. There not even subies any more. They have lost there agressive styling and succomb to the latte drinking Honda element and audi driving toruons out there.

Legacy sedan...Honda Accord

Forester...Honda CRV

Impreza/WRX...Audi A4 wagon

Tribecca....Acura MDX/Nissan Murano

And the new 2010 OTB what the hell is that. And if he were a real man he would have more then just mud puddle spray on it. He probably thought he went 4 wheeling because he drove down a dirt road after a rain storm for a mile.

My person favorite EJ series cars are the 96-2000 range. I think they had the best styling and pretty much everything else...except the 2.5 we all know those sucked but that is minor compared to the whole car sucking.

Just my two cents

I think most car manufacturers are going the way of plastic... we just had a loaner Toyota while my husbands Tacoma was in for the frame recall... that car was even cheaper made then the Roos.

With exception of the high high end cars.. I believe people are going to have to the 'plasticness' And actually.. I look at my 95 Lego..and it has tons of plastic also..mist of it is just covered with cheaply glued on material..or clipped on material covered cardboard panels.

Hey,

" Plastic, intakes :mad:,"

Yea, I saw that. People will be replacing their intakes on Subaru's for the first time. Say it ain't so, but it is.

The reason they did it was something like:"The plastic intake saves weight and the car gets better fuel mileage and be faster with the reduced weight, over aluminum". I kid you not, thet's what I read, something like that.

It "IS" cheaper to produce.

Doug

Folks,

1. Notwithstanding the fact that the 2008 OBS that I own has an aluminum intake, it is true that many manufacturer's have switched over to composite intake manifolds. I have no issues with composite intakes. Our two Ford Expedition's (1998 (sold) and current 2000) with 5.4 have it and we are at >107K miles on the 2000 without issues.
  2. I believe BMW has been using composite intake manifiolds for at least a decade or more. I have a 1998 z3, 2.8 with me this weekend that I am looking at getting. I think the intake is composite.
  3. In 1984, I got to sit in a friend's DL coupe (almost new at the time) and was quite impressed. I believe Subaru was ranked #2 in customer satisfaction, right behind MB, then. However, Subaru failed to keep up with times and eventually fell behind other manufacturer's. Sales slipped and the company was in deep financial trouble.
  4. As we all know the company turned around in the mid to late 90's and during the past several years has enjoyed success (actually done well even despite the market shortfalls the past 18 to 20 months), while continuing to provide reliable and safe AWD cars. The legacy and impreza (and the Forester as well) are primarily responsible for the turnaround of Subaru. Subaru's also maintain their resale values better then many other respected makes.

I like my new OBS (currently at >8K miles; bought in 05/09) - no issues at all. It is quite, decent power and with high utility; and just as easy to maintain. I like the styling as well. In my opinion Subaru is doing great with the changes, which are helping it be successful. They are being successful because their cars are selling. The professional reviews on the new 2010 models have generally been positive. My two cents.

Regards,

aba4430:)

Well, I think you need a multivariate analysis to really understand the fiscal trends of Fuji Motors. For example, the recent success of Subaru in spite of an industry wide lull may be explained by the larger trend toward downsizing by American consumers as a result of the recession. Many are trading in their gas guzzling gigantic 4x4s for a more reasonable Subaru. Subarus are a functional alternative for those who may actually need AWD.

In any case, I can empathize with the nostalgia for the old gen Subarus. If we hold quality and innovation constant, Subaru has made huge investments toward marketing their products, and this may help explain their recent success. Unfortunately for the old gen adherents, their new products are marketed to a different demographic.

While there have been improvements, particularly in the realm of safety, I would agree that there has been a general trend toward cost cutting across the industry. A (non-Subaru) victim of this trend was the Jeep Cherokee, which remained relatively unchanged during its 17-year run and was axed shortly after the Daimler-Benz merger. Even though I think it's a great car (even one of the best cars ever made), I'm not the kind of buyer that stimulates growth in the industry. It would seem, however, that it's the Soccer moms that do.