Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There was a semi local auction held yesterday. Many cars and trucks were sold. They also allowed live online bidding. It was fun listening to the auctioneer and just clicking my mouse when I wanted to bid. Me and 1 other person were bidding on this. I thought I was gonna get it for $100 but then he started to bid. I got it for $400. They would start every car and you could hear it run through the computer speakers. So, at least I know it runs! :grin: I don't know much else about it except that it's a 97 legacy with 175k miles. It doesn't look too rusty. I think it will have the 2.2L unless it's a GT. I hope that's not a dent on the hood lip. Maybe it's a clean spot or a reflection?! :eek:

11-a.jpg

Edited by Bigbusa

Looks like you did well for $400. Suspect it is not a GT, because it has the standard steel wheels with wheel covers. Hope the passenger side is free of dents. Sounds like you had fun buying over the internet. Cute how they run the engine, then put a mic near by, so you can hear the motor. When do you take possession? Send us more pics and update on condition when you can. We always like to hear $400 success stories.

Online auctions can be fun. But I would never bid on anything unless I could inspect it "up close and personal" first.

Also, nothing beats in person bidding. The auctions I've been to where they have on-line bidding drive me nuts. On-line bidders generally bid higher than people who are on site (like me) and they over-bid items more often than not.

Best of luck with your Legacy. It looks like it has plenty of potential for what you paid for it. Keep us advised on what you got and how it's coming along.

I finally picked it up today and was pleasantly surprised. It runs like a top and drives nicer than my 96 OBS! :banana:

It is filthy though. :mad: Inside and out. Tomorrow, I'm renting a rug doctor and will go crazy on the interior.

It has 2 new tires on the front (walmart receipt in the glove box).

The fuel filler neck leaks gas right at the bottom down near the tank and behind that metal shield. I'm going to clean it real well and see if I can repair it. Otherwise, I'll buy a new or used one and install it.

The check engine light is on. It runs great though. I'll have to look into that and see what it needs. Could it be on because of the fuel leak? :confused:

legacy.jpg

[...] The fuel filler neck leaks gas right at the bottom down near the tank and behind that metal shield. I'm going to clean it real well and see if I can repair it. Otherwise, I'll buy a new or used one and install it.

The check engine light is on. It runs great though. I'll have to look into that and see what it needs. Could it be on because of the fuel leak? :confused:

Get the code read and see if it's P0440 -- that EVAP code is common when there's a hole in the filler neck (among other things).

It has 2 new tires on the front (walmart receipt in the glove box).

I'd be putting new ones on the back to match before you cause damage to the AWD.

Also the 97 2.2 is interference, better check the timing belt. It's due to change at 180k if it was changed on schedule.

Edited by Suzam

Doesnt look to bad at all for the price... Automatic or Manual? Ive repaired transfer cases and such with JB weld before so it might do the trick on the filler pipe depending on where its leaking..;) I would also want to take care of that cancer on the rear quarter panel before it spreads more..Good luck with the cleaning and repairs..;)

It is a 5 spd manual. It shifts fine and the clutch seems ok too. I do need to get 2 new tires on the back that match the front tires.

From paperwork in the glove box, I found out that the car was auctioned off because the previous owner was not paying his child support. NY state seized it in May 2009. They don't mess around with dead beat dads. :eek: The state just seizes their stuff! :eek:

Pearlm30 - I don't know what a "MY 95 or 96" is. :confused:

Suzam - I thought all 2.2L subaru engines were non-interference? What makes the 97 an interference engine?

Edited by Bigbusa

Pearlm30 - I don't know what a ''MY 95 or 96'' is. :confused:

MY = model year

Suzam - I thought all 2.2L subaru engines were non-interference? What makes the 97 an interference engine?

Improvements after '96 to obtain more power, which result in the valves being able to hit if the engine gets out of proper timing.

Thanks for the clarification.

yup it's definitely a 97.

I found out why it's leaking gas. The dirt was completely caked in between the filler pipe and the plastic shield. :mad: No wonder it rusted.

Does anyone here have a good use filler pipe for a 97 legacy sedan?

Picture233.jpg