Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyal with no power.......

I don't post much, but lurk quite a bit. I've managed to find lots of good tips for keeping my wife's '93 Loyal running good, so thanks in advance for any ideas....

Here is the story........

I sold a friend of mine my 1992 Loyal a few months ago and it had been running great. She broke a timing belt on the way to work and had it towed home. I put new timing belts on it, and now it has no power.......

It will start easily, idle good, but once you give it gas it tries to die then revs slowly. It occasionally will backfire if you get it up to around 3500rpm....

I've double checked the belts, one was off a tooth so I fixed that, but it runs no different.......

There is around 150k on the car, it has 150 to 160 pounds of compression on all cylinders, and was fully tuned up less than 15k ago, and has no check engine light on....., now I'm stumped:-\

I put the middle of the three marks on the pointer, had the drivers side cam mark straight up, and the passenger side straight down(there are no belt covers at all, they broke when I put belts on it when I first bought it several years ago). I'll double check that again when I have better light and can get back to the car.

Thanks

Pictzie

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got the car running again....., looks like the timing belt was still off a tooth.........

But something new has come up.....

I took it for a test drive, and it ran great, had spark knock like crazy though.

I got with the lady that owns it now, and we went and put fresh gas in it(it had sat for several months), but on the way home from the gas station, the car started jerking backwards and fowards. We pulled over, I started driving, and it ran fine.

I think that the old gas is what is causing it to run off periodically, any other ideas???????????

Thanks

Pictzie