Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Two mechanics stumped, anyone here have an answer?

The Facts:

2002 Legacy Outback wagon

2.5 l

5-speed

New, correct NGK plugs

New wires

New coil pack

The Problem:

Intermittently (of course) when driving, either accelerating or constant speed, the car will stumble and lose power as if the power was pulled back to idle. It does not stall. Sometimes it recovers on its own, other times I clutch it and rev it and it recovers. Sometimes it backfires if the throttle is held steady. Sometimes it doesn't recover, but if the revs are high enough (2200+?) I can floor it and the engine will run well enough to maintain speed or keep accelerating, but it does not run correctly. The behavior stops and starts instantly, like a switch being thrown.

The check engine light was not on for quite a long time while the behavior was occurring, but is on now. Earlier when exhibiting this behavior the codes had been misfire and running rich, but I haven't had the code pulled again yet.

The Hunch:

Some sensor is misbehaving, but not going out of range, so the computer can't identify the cause. On a Ford EEC-IV at full throttle the car would be in open loop, running strictly off of default values from a table rather than sensor input. At part throttle it is in closed loop mode, dependent upon sensors. I just don't know which sensor might cause this behavior.

Things that do not appear to be factors:

Outside temp, engine temp, engine speed, vehicle speed. The coil was swapped but did not change the behavior. The new wires did not change the behavior. The plugs were changed quite some time before the behavior started.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Tim

Welcome to the forum.

I agree that the problem could be caused by something not being sensed correctly, and that the ECU then defaults to some fail-safe (''limping'') mode. Unfortunately, there are several possible causes. Having the code(s) in the form Pxxxx (where the x's are numbers) would be helpful.

Having said that, one thing that can be intermittent and cause erratic fuel delivery is if the ECU doesn't know whether the car is in gear or not. The neutral switch could be intermittent. If one of the codes is P1507, see http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/DiagTroubSum04.pdf . Otherwise, let us know what turns up.

I'd bet on the MAF/MAP sensor or throttle position sensor. I had exactly the same problem when the MAF sensor on my Celica GT would drop out, so it only fueled for idle conditions; it idled perfectly, but wouldn't rev over 2500 rpm. It felt exactly like somebody threw out an anchor, but if allowed to cool off it would work perfectly until the next time. It was only diagnosed when I was able to limp to a dealer during business hours and have them diagnose it while it was actually malfunctioning.

Thank you for the ideas. Other than remove and replace does anyone have ideas how to test/rule out any of these particular problems? The mechanics checked the TPS according to procedure and ruled that out. It sounds like the problem ronemus had matches pretty well, as the car will idle just fine. Any ideas how to test the MAF?

And the codes are (drum roll, please):

PO301

PO302

PO303

PO304

PO172

I'll replace the fuel filter just to be sure, but it sure seems electrical in the way it turns off and on at will. Shaking the car around doesn't seem to affect the problem. It did seem to run better for quite a while after being on a bumpy road, but it also has had long periods of running well after a bad spell without any bumps involved.

Clear the codes.

Soak the coils with a bootle of spray water while the car is running and look for sparks.

Clean the terminals for the coils and the ignitor. Check the engine grounds.

What brand sparkplug wires were used? What brand plugs?

nipper

[...] It sounds like the problem ronemus had matches pretty well, as the car will idle just fine.

[...]PO172

Besides MAF/MAP, check connections at the intake air temp sensor and especially those at the engine coolant temp sensor (they sometimes seep coolant and corrode the contacts).

P0301-4 Misfire in cylinder 1 - 4. The last number is respective to the cylinder which has experienced the misfire.

P0172 is probably caused by the misfiring, but could also be an O2 sensor on the way out. The O2 sensor can also cause misfiring, though the intermittance may point to a bad connection.

I second Nippers suggestion to spray down the ignition coil and spark plug wires and look for arcing.

edit: adding on.

You could also try unplugging the wire harness connectors for the ignition coil and make sure it is free of dirt, water, and corrosion.

The MAF sensor can be cleaned with a special cleaner available at most auto parts stores. Its usually about $4 or $5 a can and is easy to use.

It only does it when driving, so it could be something to do with the knock sensor. That is easy enough to remove and inspect. Generally if the case has any cracks, it is possible that moisture has gotten inside and corroded the sensor.

Edited by Fairtax4me

OP states in the first post that plugs (NGK), wires and coil(s?) are all new. Could still be arcing I suppose, but...

As for testing the MAF, I've read many posts about testing MAF sensors by tapping them with the butt of a screwdriver while the car is idling. If the idle stumbles, the MAF is bad. I realize this is far from a comprehensive test, but it is easy to do.

Edited by lostinthe202
wrong but, butt

I had mentioned the neutral switch earlier. A new post (#56) in http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85794&page=6 might be worth reading.

EDIT: Just to verify my suspicions, I did a bit of searching and came across http://bbs.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/491306-misfire.html . The OP's problem might not be the switch, but investigating it is probably justified.

Edited by OB99W

OP states in the first post that plugs (NGK), wires and coil(s?) are all new. Could still be arcing I suppose, but...

As for testing the MAF, I've read many posts about testing MAF sensors by tapping them with the butt of a screwdriver while the car is idling. If the idle stumbles, the MAF is bad. I realize this is far from a comprehensive test, but it is easy to do.

We like easy :)

I was thinking front o2/AF sensor...

Yup, I agree here ... misfires and fuel trim lean .... front O2 sensor.

No MAF on his, he has a MAP.

00-02 Subarus are known for this behavior. Easy way to check, when it's acting up, unplug the front O2 sensor. This WILL set a code, but the ECU will run in open loop mode. And if the hesitation goes away, you confirmed your culprit.

Usually happens AFTER it warms up, and the engine goes into Closed-Loop mode.

Yup, I agree here ... misfires and fuel trim lean .... front O2 sensor.

No MAF on his, he has a MAP.

00-02 Subarus are known for this behavior. Easy way to check, when it's acting up, unplug the front O2 sensor. This WILL set a code, but the ECU will run in open loop mode. And if the hesitation goes away, you confirmed your culprit.

Usually happens AFTER it warms up, and the engine goes into Closed-Loop mode.

+1..There was also a TSB for the o2/AF sensor this year....