Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Goodbye FrankenWagon, and it's replacement

First off....the FrankenWagon was swapped back to stockish (still EJ22, and still 5MT and 4WD swapped. but 4-lug, drum brakes in the back, etc.) in the last month or so. and last monday, went to it's new home.

so a little photo tribute to it:

29424400002_large.jpg

PICT0206.jpg

PICT0984.jpg

PICT1834.jpg

417736708_da629b692a.jpg

PICT3068.jpg

PICT3212.jpg

PICT3397.jpg

PICT39341.jpg

DSCF0822Medium.jpg

DSCF0837Medium.jpg

Goodbye old friend :cool:

about a month ago, an '88 XT6 popped up on CL in Crystal. Thanks to the Crew Chief for our Rally Team for sending me the link shortly after that. I told the guy I was making arrangements to come get it the following sunday (3 weeks ago, or so). I had my dad call on Thursday to try to go look at it in person.....only to find out the guy had just sold it. He told me he'd give my phone number to the kid who bought it for the $800 being asked.

original ad listed it as having a clunk in the transmission, and needed a fuel pump. kid bought it, replaced fuel pump and a number of rusted out fuel lines, drained/refilled gas tank, and new battery. went for a test drive, and a brake line burst....and the transmission was worse than he thought. so last sunday he called me.

so, last Friday we drove out to his place near Menomonie, WI, poked around, and bought it for $740.

That night, I pulled some brake lines of similar lengths, and identical fittings from my parts wagon, and replaced the bad section. Saturday I got plates/tabs, washed it at work, and took a picture:

DSCF0847Medium.jpg

It has most of a rare Kaminari body kit on it. looks like at some point, it hit a snowbank or something relatively soft. as the fog light on one side is missing, the headlight cover on that same side is black, and the fiberglass kaminari front lip is missing. But no signs of structural damage.

For those that don't know, here's what a fully-kitted car looks like:

file.jpg

2nd gear synchro's are pretty much shot. but it doesn't make any noises in other gears. So I'm going to pull this trans and drop some impreza internals into it (including the VLSD center diff!)

wow man ! great looking xt6 ....good luck with it . i'm trying like hell to make room in my garage so my 88 xt6 doesn't have to sit outside anymore . not an easy job , i'm a horrible pack rat / garbage picker / dumpster diver . :lol:

I think it looks better without the front lip actually.With the front lip it looks abit too ricey.

I agree.

It looks kinda odd.

about a month ago, an '88 XT6 popped up on CL in Crystal. Thanks to the Crew Chief for our Rally Team for sending me the link shortly after that. I told the guy I was making arrangements to come get it the following sunday (3 weeks ago, or so). I had my dad call on Thursday to try to go look at it in person.....only to find out the guy had just sold it. He told me he'd give my phone number to the kid who bought it for the $800 being asked.

original ad listed it as having a clunk in the transmission, and needed a fuel pump. kid bought it, replaced fuel pump and a number of rusted out fuel lines, drained/refilled gas tank, and new battery. went for a test drive, and a brake line burst....and the transmission was worse than he thought. so last sunday he called me.

so, last Friday we drove out to his place near Menomonie, WI, poked around, and bought it for $740.

That night, I pulled some brake lines of similar lengths, and identical fittings from my parts wagon, and replaced the bad section. Saturday I got plates/tabs, washed it at work, and took a picture:

DSCF0847Medium.jpg

It has most of a rare Kaminari body kit on it. looks like at some point, it hit a snowbank or something relatively soft. as the fog light on one side is missing, the headlight cover on that same side is black, and the fiberglass kaminari front lip is missing. But no signs of structural damage.

For those that don't know, here's what a fully-kitted car looks like:

file.jpg

2nd gear synchro's are pretty much shot. but it doesn't make any noises in other gears. So I'm going to pull this trans and drop some impreza internals into it (including the VLSD center diff!)

I Think it looks MEAN without the front lip.

I would leave it without the front lip, even though you won't have all the

aerodynamic improvements of the body kit, I still think it looks awesome.

Twitch

I highly doubt the kit actually effects the aero in a positive way. maybe would work well with a diffuser from the gas tank to the edge of the rear lip and splitter on the front.

it looks goofy in person (at least I think so) without the front lip, as the side skirts and rear extend down below the body a bit, and the front doesn't match.

I'll be getting a new lip for sure come spring. I think I might like it a bit better without....but the fiberglass doesn't rust. and it's probably been on there since the car was practically new (the rockers where the rear mount of the side skirts attach is COMPLETELY gone). I'm not anxious to see/show off what's underneath.

Nice Tribute :)

That thing did look badass, I want to see what you do to this XT :slobber:

Best of luck!

-Tom

yea...."replacement" isn't really the right word. as it won't be the toy. it's just the new daily driver. yea, it'll get a few mods (check the transmission thread in the retrofitting section). and if I get my hands on one new rota, I'll run those come summer time. and throw the air suspension away because it's junk, even when it works. you know. but no engine swaps. no crazy hybrid suspension stuff.

I've been plotting something to be the new street toy, but lately I've been thinking about focusing my time/money on the 4runner.