Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4cyl outback - should I jump?

My husband has an 04 outback (6cyl) and I have a Pathfinder.

I'm thinking about making the leap to the 4cyl outback in favor of much better gas mileage and awd (over part time 4wd).

I'm afraid that I will miss the v6 - what do you think? I mean I know I don't NEEEEEED it. I've driven suvs since 1999 with my first Ford Explorer.

I test drove it today and of course there is a difference but I was surprised at how well it is geared.

FYI We live in CT but travel to southern VT frequently during the winter. My office is 34 miles SOUTH of where I live so obviously I put on a lot of miles....

thanks for your opinions!

I would say go for the subaru. You will find yourself going around corners faster and having way more fun for your average day of driving along with better gas mileage just for starters.

thanks :) I'm driving everyone crazy with opinions and only 1 person is on the fence - everyone else says GO FOR IT! :banana:

The answer you will get (at least on here) is to go for the sube.

Youll be giving up some ground clearance (a little) and a certain amount of power... but you will come to love the subarus.

When it comes to weight distribution and handling (also advantageous in the snow) Subaru has it.

The answer you will get (at least on here) is to go for the sube.

Youll be giving up some ground clearance (a little) and a certain amount of power... but you will come to love the subarus.

When it comes to weight distribution and handling (also advantageous in the snow) Subaru has it.

well I'm good with the ground clearance issue - it's really the power of the 4 vs 6. There are no 6s in CT to even drive. The salesman said they can't get any because they are not making as many because people are buying the 4s.

He is full of it...the dealer... Oh.. Hi from a fellow CT person. I can tell you right now.. I run an 08 Imreza 2.5i and that little 4 cyl has more then enough go go to it ( I took out an RX8 the other day getting on the Merritt) Granted the Imp is much lighter. I also only drive 5 spd ..but I can easily get 32-34 mpg out of it. IMO the 6 cyl isnt that big of a deal..probably most noted if its an AT.

Also.. my local Subaru dealer has a few 6 cyl on the lot..thats why I say yours is talking poo.

He is full of it...the dealer... Oh.. Hi from a fellow CT person. I can tell you right now.. I run an 08 Imreza 2.5i and that little 4 cyl has more then enough go go to it ( I took out an RX8 the other day getting on the Merritt) Granted the Imp is much lighter. I also only drive 5 spd ..but I can easily get 32-34 mpg out of it. IMO the 6 cyl isnt that big of a deal..probably most noted if its an AT.

Also.. my local Subaru dealer has a few 6 cyl on the lot..thats why I say yours is talking poo.

What dealer? Ill drive to another dealer for a test ride.

I've owned (own) both. I wouldn't waver from the power perspective at all. I'm not performance oriented but for power the EJ25 does great behind the auto's and the H6's while really nice aren't really speed demons, seems to me the EJ25 is a good bet. You test drove one so you should know.

I like the 6 cylinder based on marginally better reliability, nice power, and more features. Not sure which models have what now but a few years ago you had to get the H6 to get all the decked out stuff - VDC in particular, side impact air bags, etc.

As for AWD in favor of PT4WD - if that's due to snow you can not beat having snow tires, studs for that matter. Snow tires are more important than 4WD if you're dealing with slick road conditions. The Subaru with studs is amazing, good snows is nice too.

If you're looking to buy brand new - like 2010 - be sure to spend some time at 65mph plus test driving. There's a known issue with some models (Outbacks I believe) having a steering shimmy that Subaru has not been able to fully resolve yet.

Sounds like you're good to go either way.

What dealer? Ill drive to another dealer for a test ride.

I do business with the dealer in Danbury.

I am am with the rest..the EJ25 is plenty motor..in fact I have been extremely impressed with it. Supposedly the newer versions have the dependability issues solved and so far mine has had not a single problem in 45K miles. Took it to Mass last weekend in those heavy winds and still got 31mpg at 80 mph.

I do business with the dealer in Danbury.

I am am with the rest..the EJ25 is plenty motor..in fact I have been extremely impressed with it. Supposedly the newer versions have the dependability issues solved and so far mine has had not a single problem in 45K miles. Took it to Mass last weekend in those heavy winds and still got 31mpg at 80 mph.

I called them. The salesman said they have no 6cyl and they can't get them in. He said they have open orders that he can't fill and it's "terrible."

so overall I guess the 6 is really off the table.

• 2 weeks later...