Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Your Suby Snow Stories Good or Bad

So last night i ditch work to take a friend out to pleasant hill so he can get a car. He totaled his last week. Now my car (guido) hasnt been running on par lately. His manifold leak has him way underpowered and lack of heat is really annoying. Especially when its -10. So the roads are terrible, going 35 on the street and passing every tom, wongleflute and harry pokeing along. We hit the highway big mistake. Black ice everywhere. Now ive never driven on the highway when it gets like this but its the worst ive ever seen. Police and towtrucks pulling cars out of the ditch. Flipped suvs everywhere. Cars and trucks all over the ditch, just terrible. Guido was no exception, the black ice tried to take him but never did. When i started slideing sideways just downshifted and countersteered. Never been so scared white knuckled in my life. As much as i complain about this car it has always started in this bitter cold a** weather and has yet to let me down. Just tears up the snow. I can only imagine if i had some really good snow tires on. On a side note my friend was freaking out thinking this was a mistake, i told him not to worry and have faith in the suby. Hes buying a 08 cobalt but i know he was thinking subaru after that night.

Guido does better in the handling department than my plague infected Outback (ghostwalk). The little orange slow moving triangles (lieke they require on slow moving tractors) should have come standard on the 05+ Outbacks for when driving on Ice.

My heat is hot, but the heat vents on the Outback do not blow on your shoes, it blows on your knees from under the steering column, so cold feet, hot knees. That sucks, i have seen where others have had to drill holes into the ductwork of the newer ones to get enough heat circulation. And, even when the control knob is directed to the setting for Feet/defrost, the air still comes out the middle top vents. Others say this is how they designed em. :( grrr. In comparison, previous Legacy's even on fan speed lowest setting, were still like a blast furnace, could heat feet nicely. Remember how most of the Subarus you can set the knob to feet, and it actually blows heat just to your feet from behind the radio? Well, now when you set it to feet, it blows on the knees from the steering wheel area, and it still blows out the top vents.

I am actively searching for a good winter car, that i can carry my dogs in. Can't wait to dump this one.

I do however really like the heated seats, having a hot butt with cold feet is better then a cold butt with cold feet. :)

When was the last year Subaru had the drip rail for roofline to door. Opening the door and having snow fall in on the seat is getting old too. Maybe I should move someplace its warm and not snowy.

Ben, how is your brothers LEgacy GT going along?

Edited by bheinen74

Going along great, crank angle sensor fixed the problems and they had a junk engine they were sending to subaru for a core so they pulled it off that and charged him for the diagnostics and alittle bit of labor. He did find out that one of the snowflake wheels is bent so hes on the search for a new one. Its wobbles pretty good but i think it would be good enough for a full size spare. Now on to the cleanup cuz this thing is nasty.

A few nights ago, I was driving back home from a friend's house in my 92 4WD wagon. Crusing along a state road, probably about 50MPH. Nice clear night, a little windy though. I see a little snow up ahead, switch on the 4WD, and find myself in blizzard conditions - can hardly see, 6-8" of unplowed rutted snow on the road! (the wind was drifting the snow across the road from the open field)

Foot off gas, dropped the 3AT to 2nd, and lots of steering to stay on the road, until I regained control.

I once drove an 88 dl FWD 150 miles through a snowstorm to make a court appearance on feb 17th. I got there to realize and ask myself "who the hell schedules a court date on president's day)

I did get stuck screwing off in that town, but i was able to borrow the police officer's shovel and get on my way.

that was some 8 years or so ago. more recently my 88 dl wagon is a champ in the winter. The best times are during snow emergencies when we hit the downtown to hang sideways on all the curvy streets by the river.

Whilst looking for parking at the university the other morning I saw a few cars parked off the street on some snow so I figured I would join them. I turned into the trail head to find myself trying to plow through 8-9 inches of this weird slush like powder (it can pack, but still powder, sucks for traction) I almost made it all the way out but on the last ten feet after keeping my foot mashed to the floor and crawling through the snow I felt my OBS sink and stop. I text my wife and told her to get the brat and some chain and meet me after class just in case. She calls me after class laughing saying she got my brat stuck getting out of the driveway... :eek: I guess she didn't really watch where she was backing up, went over a pile of snow and dropped onto a manhole which was surrounded by ice. A neighbor gave her a push and she was on her way fine. Meanwhile I am digging out my tires at the school with an axe handle I keep in the back of my OBS and making slow progress. I was able to move the car back a few feet, then forward about 2 feet at a time. My wife shows up, I lay some chains in front of the tires and she gives me a little push and I'm headed towards freedom! Until my front passenger side slips off the main parking area and into a 3 feet snow drift... :mad: Fed up with trying to get unstuck with out aid from another car, we chain the brat, and a little bit of tire squealing later... its free. That EJ brat has some balls to it.

The next day I'm trying to get to a house in northern utah with the brat to inspect it and I'm following my map and gps when suddenly the road turns from paved to snow packed. No big deal its evenly packed. The packed then turns to ruts that are about 1 foot wider than the Brat which makes it jump from side to side trying to pick a rut (however I am keeping up with the jeep guy in front of me). The road then turns and heads up into the mountains and I stop the jeep guy and ask him if the road leads to Trenton. Turns out yes it does, but its closed for the winter just farther ahead. Back I go... All in all the brat did very well traction wise. Bigger tires I think would make a difference, but that won't happen till I am done with the wrx. Here is a pic of the brat just for some eye candy. IMAG0189.jpg

O K got off work early, headed out into the snowy,freezing rain, got to the empty parking lot on the way home, cool only one set of tracks, pull in, 2nd gear in the legacy and the drifting begins, 4 or 5 big circles 1 or 2 figure 8s, wonder what the guy in the truck parked there thinks, oh well onto home. Get there and the wife was in the same lot in her legacy 2 minutes before me, the tracks were hers! go figure,wonder what the guy in the truck parked there thought? Happy driving all, BE SAFE!.....................G

No real 'stories' per say. but the other night when it was snowing *(last thursday) i left work WAY late on my way to bowling league, had to put her in 4wd from the turn outta the parking ramp all the way to the bowling alley (10 miles?). i made it there in about the same time as it would have taken me if the roads were dry(combo of city and freeway but mostly city streets)... thats gotta say somethin!

our soobs always seem to get us to where we need to go pretty safely.

well.. i did manage slide the car around in this large rump roast parking lot, and on my way out of the parking lot , pop the clutch and slide around the fence and back into the parking lot via their OTHER driveway. it was fun. :)