Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Light mounting

coldfusion21

I figured this would be the best place to put this. I wanna mount some big driving lights because my high beams just don't cut it. I have lots of bits for a yakima rack setup and was gonna buy a basket to use their light mounts, but that is all fairly expensive, would rather use the money on the lights.

So, two ideas.

One is make some sort of mount to hold the lights on one of the cross bars for the rack.

The other (which is more tempting) is to just mount the lights right on the top of the car. Drill some holes and then all the wiring would be sealed and everything. Downside would be figuring out how to gain access to the headliner area without tons of work.

I want these to not only be bright and good for off-road but would like them to be aimed well enough to use them while driving highway speeds on open road.

Thoughts?

Pics of lights mounted to your guys cars?

My old xt6 had a light bar on the front. Sometimes I caught myself driving on the road with the lights on. Believe me, those lights can be insanely bright, especially when you are driving towards them. I dont suggest running the lights on the front, they broke pretty quick on my xt6. It looked pretty neat though. Pic of XT6

Edited by corvette6698512

I mounted my Hella 500FF on the front of my bumper, infront of the grill, rally style :grin: Works good.

From what I have read about the law, in Washington at least, (keep in mind my only source on this is the internet and you know EVERYTHING you read on the internet is true:rolleyes:), is that in order for them to be wired into your brights, you have to have them something like a maxium of 2 or 3 feet off the ground for driving lights, and under 2 or 3 feet for fog lights. If they are higher than that, they have to be covered while driving. I have also heard that you can run them all the time, as long as you have a MAXIUM of four lights on at any one time, you probably won't get a ticket. So if you have your headlights on, driving lights on, and fog lights on at the same time, you will get pulled over, even if you had your brights on. It's just a matter of when. The fogs are also supposed to turn off with the brights... But it is up to the cop for that one, because the law says that driving lights can only be turned on with the brights, and fog lights are supposed to turn off when the brights turn on. Someone else feel free to correct me on this I am no expert...

I have my hella's pointed WAY in, and the hit below the low beams that I don't get flashed by anyone, most of the time. So far so good on no ticket. I have passed several state patrol cars, and a couple local cops, and no one seemed to care. But my light are turned in enough they don't blind people, so I don't think it matters. Just be careful with how you aim them and if you run them all the time, just be prepared for a ticket.

So all in all, if you want to get more lights for your brights, they have to be lower than the windshield (give or take some inches on that), at least in WA state, but I think the logic applies across the country... My .02

Don't forget that you can rewire your lights to get full power off the battery with a relay and that will cut down on your power loss as the stock wires get old and run all the way to the dash and back losing power the whole way.

You never want to drive on a public road with roof lights turned on. The cop let me off with a warning, but not everyone is so lucky.

Normally i drive my wheeler wagon with the stock lights on, as well as the 4 lights that are mounted on the bumper and have never been highbeam flashed by other drivers.

Don't forget that you can rewire your lights to get full power off the battery with a relay and that will cut down on your power loss as the stock wires get old and run all the way to the dash and back losing power the whole way.

Is there a post for doing that around here. My factory headlights on the 86 are REALLY BAD:eek:.

Mike

Ok, I won't use them on the road. I mean, i still might, but thats not the primary purpose for these lights.

Any more advice on MOUNTING the lights, instead of using them?

Its a first gen legacy and is my DD right now, so i don't wanna mount some huge lights on the bumper...But might look into that.

Pics of any lights mounted?

What about those lower ones? Are they just mounted into the bumper?

While i have no reason to avoid drilling into the roof i do think the cross bar thing is best. how did you mount yours nipper?

They are clamped on to the front bar with weatherproof connectors so when i take them off I can easily disconnect them.

The bumper ones are just screwed into the bumper with screws that came with them, made for bumper skins.

nipper

They are clamped on to the front bar with weatherproof connectors so when i take them off I can easily disconnect them.

The bumper ones are just screwed into the bumper with screws that came with them, made for bumper skins.

nipper

Sorry i wasnt more clear, I'm curious how the light itself is mounted to the cross bar. I think that plus the waterproof connectors is a great idea.

Thanks!