Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T head issues

Ok....So... I put the heads. cams, covers..etc. now we go hook up the turbo and it looks like I got screwed by my machine guy. I think he pulled the old switch-ah-roo on me and gave me a non turbo head.

1986 GL-10

Pic Below is the back side of the passenger side head and we cannot hook up the turbo oil feed and drain lines up to this head. We do not see the bolts or any place to hook the oil lines up too. Does anyone think he swapped our turbo head for a Normally Aspirated head.

large.jpg

Yes, that pic does help and confirms that the wrong head was given to us. Which now opens a new can of worms on how to get the right one. This whole ordeal to get this car running again has been one giant lesson in patience. It did not help that the previous owner did a head gasket job and galled the threads in the block on one side. All the threads had to be re-tapped to a larger size and volvo head bolts used (they are slightly larger and amazingly, the same length) who knows if this will hold, but we were able to tighten the head down to the spec'ed torque with no ill issues. After getting a lot of stuff back together, we started to get the turbo ready and that is when I noticed the head lacked the ports for the oil lines and needed to confirm that indeed, we had the wrong head.

Thanks for the replies

Ok..... to everyone. Thanks for all of the reply msgs. I will b on here FOREVER!

I am a Subaru fan of about 15 years now!

That being said.... I will have to check in the morning and I will let you know if we switched the heads around. I have never dealt with a turbo engine prior to this so I have to think differently I guess.

C u all in the morning. :banana:

Glad you got it sorted out. It's not at all common sense that the heads would be interchangeable - such is not the case with very many engines. It's an understandable mistake.

In the case of the old non-turbo's before EGR came on the scene - heads were interchangeable and you might not even know you swapped them :rolleyes:

GD

funny thing, i got a subaru dropped off to me to do head gaskets. the previous mechanic installed the heads backwards. this was spfi, the car was running and driving, with a copper pipe bridging across to connect the egr line from the egr to the other side of the motor next to the water pump pipe.

funny thing, i got a subaru dropped off to me to do head gaskets. the previous mechanic installed the heads backwards. this was spfi, the car was running and driving, with a copper pipe bridging across to connect the egr line from the egr to the other side of the motor next to the water pump pipe.

Wow, talk about taking WAY to much effort to fix an easy, and obvious problem... I would stop and think to myself, this is not right, let's look at this again, it did not look this way before I touched it. Not, hmm, I am going to fab up some stuff to make this work correctly again, even though it was fine before I got it and it didn't need any fab work before it came to me... Let's see what do I have laying around to "fix" this new problem... Wow, just wow.

That takes a special someone to do that, and then to accept it back from the mechanic that way!?!?! I would kick the mechanic in the balls and tell him to keep his hands off of it and then just not pay him and drive away. What a tool... Good story though! :lol:

I am curious though, did that mod make it go faster at least? :lol:

Wow, talk about taking WAY to much effort to fix an easy, and obvious problem... I would stop and think to myself, this is not right, let's look at this again, it did not look this way before I touched it. Not, hmm, I am going to fab up some stuff to make this work correctly again, even though it was fine before I got it and it didn't need any fab work before it came to me... Let's see what do I have laying around to "fix" this new problem... Wow, just wow.

That takes a special someone to do that, and then to accept it back from the mechanic that way!?!?! I would kick the mechanic in the balls and tell him to keep his hands off of it and then just not pay him and drive away. What a tool... Good story though! :lol:

I am curious though, did that mod make it go faster at least? :lol:

i'll have to get a pic of this. the car is behind my garage and i will be pulling the motor. The owner of the car paid some fool 700 bucks 2 years ago to rebuild this motor. he claims all the bottom end has been redone. but i have a feeling he paid this fool 700 to put the heads on backward. i bet the mechanic thought he was going to do the crank and rods until he removed the oil pan:lol:. i bet you a dollar this motor was never apart on the bottom end

i'll have to get a pic of this. the car is behind my garage and i will be pulling the motor. The owner of the car paid some fool 700 bucks 2 years ago to rebuild this motor. he claims all the bottom end has been redone. but i have a feeling he paid this fool 700 to put the heads on backward. i bet the mechanic thought he was going to do the crank and rods until he removed the oil pan:lol:. i bet you a dollar this motor was never apart on the bottom end

I think pics would be a good addition for sure! That way people can see what happens when you swap heads :lol: Or at least what happens when you pay a fool to do the work, and then he swaps the heads.

At least this poor owner now has a competent mechanic working on it, so good for them the second time around :rolleyes: