Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many miles you can drive depend greatly on a number of factors. Driving habits, driving conditions, city or highway driving and so on and so on....

When the light comes on you have about 2 gallons left in the tank. figure out your average gas mileage and multiply by 2 and you will have your max distance when the light comes on.

It's usually safe to use the rule of thumb to fill up within 40 miles of the light comimg on.

I do believe according to the Owner's Manual, it is estimated to have about 20 miles of gasoline left.

However, the tank shouldn't ever be this empty, especially when it sits for a while.

Unfortunately, I have seen my gas light far too many times for me to count :lol:

I've noticed in my Legacy the light came on but when it gets lower it tends to go out.. and when it's colder I've seen it get so low the car is starving for fuel as I made my left hand turns but the fuel light never comes on.

I just go by mileage.. At around a half a tank I can get around 205 miles before I need to really seek a fueling station.

When i took my old subie to the dealer for replacing it (rusted chassis) i emptied the gas tank by using the internal pump. Then i added exactly 1 liter which should be just enough for it to drive the dealer (12 km) so i also to 1 liter in a bottle just in case.

The light came on after 5 km but how the tank was completely empty. The last 2 km just for the fun of it I stepped on it :grin: giving a jump and then loosing all the power. It stopped and ran again.

In general i never dared to drive more than 600 km on a single tank usually 550 but then the light came only one once in a while and went off after left turns. The meter i never trusted first line was 110 km then half way was after 300 km (total) then 450 for the 3rd line and at 550 light came on now and then.

Hey all. I've got a 98 Outback Limited. The gas light has come on a couple of times and then i've just gone and filled up. However, i'm just curious to know exactly how many miles I could go after the gas light comes on?

Thanks!

-Zane

zero fill now .............you should never let you tank go below 3/4

While we're on the subject...mine doesn't work at all. Quit on me about 80,000 kms ago. Is this likely a problem at the sending unit, or do I need to pull the instrument panel out a replace a bulb?

Tuff call since your gauge works I id say dash ...........Me Ive never seen the LGL on any my vehicles never let it get that low

I let the light come on all the time on all my rigs. Hasn't seemed to bother any of them. But here on the west coast we don't get any real rust so unless the car has been sitting or something..... I've never experienced a problem with a Subaru due to sucking up crap from the tank.

That probably applies to some other brands but Subaru's have their pickup tube at the bottom of the tank anyway so I'm not convinced it makes any difference. Additionally - the electric fuel pumps they use are pretty much impervious to small foreign objects - and if the filters are changed none of that stuff really makes it through to the injection system (or carb).

Anyway - just my experience - I've never had an issue with running them right down to fumes. Never had a clogged tank and no filter that I've replaced has needed replacment again durring my ownership.

My '69 GMC being the exception - tank, pickup tube, float, etc are all a rusted up mess inside due to sitting for decades - it was a camper truck and apparently sat without fuel in it for long periods. I've got multiple filters in there - before the pump, after the pump, and a new pickup tube/float with new sock on it. I'm still cleaning the filters out of crap and I had to put in a regulator because the mechanical fuel pumps keep clogging their internal relief valves an want to put out over 10 lbs. :rolleyes:. I'll probably end up changing the tank or coating the inside of it.

GD

+1..I never understood this...people say say "oh if you let your gas get so low you will start picking up sediment and such in the bottom of the tank"..well guess where the fuel pump pickup is..almost the bottom of the tank..lol..

Yep - Generally the mesh "sock" actually touches the bottom of the tank or is very close. Plus you have the saddle pump on the legacy's constantly transfering fuel over the differential hump to the pickup tube side which sucks crap from one side and stirs it in with the fuel on the other side..... it's a mess in there and frankly if the tank is dirty enough to clog the pickup tube sock it's time for a new tank or time to have it boiled out/coated.

GD

Yep - Generally the mesh "sock" actually touches the bottom of the tank or is very close. Plus you have the saddle pump on the legacy's constantly transfering fuel over the differential hump to the pickup tube side which sucks crap from one side and stirs it in with the fuel on the other side..... it's a mess in there and frankly if the tank is dirty enough to clog the pickup tube sock it's time for a new tank or time to have it boiled out/coated.

GD

LMAO...I try to explain this to customers sometimes and they look at me like an idiot...lol

I've noticed in my Legacy the light came on but when it gets lower it tends to go out.. and when it's colder I've seen it get so low the car is starving for fuel as I made my left hand turns but the fuel light never comes on.

I just go by mileage.. At around a half a tank I can get around 205 miles before I need to really seek a fueling station.

Thats because it is a thermistor. As long as it is cold (as in gasoline covering it) the light wont come on. When the thermistor is exposed to air, it heats up and the light comes on. thats why the light isnt a on/off thing. It slowly glows. I dont know what the calibration is for it, but i can see where in winter, if it is cold snough, the thermistor can be fooled that the tank is fuller then it really is.

There is about 2 gallons of gas left when the light comes on.

nipper

GD

GD slightly off topic, as i havent had a rusted/bad tank since high school. How much does it cost to clean out a tank these days and do radiator shops still do this? I know with plastic fuel tanks this is a dying service for passenger cars.

nipper

GD slightly off topic, as i havent had a rusted/bad tank since high school. How much does it cost to clean out a tank these days and do radiator shops still do this? I know with plastic fuel tanks this is a dying service for passenger cars.

nipper

There's several choices it would seem. I have heard anywhere from $25 at a radiator shop to it not being worth it at all. I know a place that dips car bodies that could likely do it here in Portland. I would guess their price would be somewhere around $100 or less.

There is also the POR-15 gas tank repair kits that come with flushing and cleaning fluids as well as a sealer product that is supposed to even seal small leaks. That's around $75 for the kit. That may be the way I go with my GMC as it makes the inside of the tank basicaly impervious to further corrosion - which would be better even than a new tank.

GD