Ultimate Subaru Message Board

mud bogging loyale?

logang1k

I am prepping my 1990 loyale s/w 4x4 S/R sfi 1.8l to be an offroad only mud bogger. I have 27.2" tall x 7.5" wide tractor tires mounted on 14x6 nissan 6 lug wheels and I will be buying a lift. Does a lift add any ground clearance or is it just to allow for the fitment of larger tires? I am gonna weld the rear end up. I am planing on bringing the exhaust up through the hood on the passenger side so I dont have to worry about it dragging through the mud. I am also thinking about making a full length skid plate that curves up in the front. I think this would make the underneath smooth and it would glide across the mud easier. Any flaws to this idea? Any other ideas to make it more mud worthy?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get a 2" suspension lift, from One Eye if he's close, or I will have some beefy ones available soon. That will give you clearance for bigger tires, and 2" of lift without moving any of the crossmembers.

You will need a Dual Range, or you will get stuck A LOT, so keep searching till you find one. Your skid plate idea sounds perfect, so I'd go with it! Since you are running the exhaust up through the engine bay, you might try to find a way to run it around the front of the engine, that way there is that much more clearance under the front crossmember. Take some pics as this progresses!

-Bill

So no need for a big lift? I pm'd you about the six inch lift. Is that too much? I'll need ground clearance over anything else but saving money and only getting a 2" lift would be awesome too. There is an aluminum plant near by and I can get all the sheet aluminum I need for the skid plate. The only problem is it is only 1/8th inch thick. But I can double it up or roll beads in it. The mud pit is my families old cow pond that never held water well. So my brother started holding mud bogs 4th of July weekend. He got killed in a motorcycle accident a year ago 9/25. So I keep it going in his memory. He never got to see my loyale but he would be proud. I am hoping to show up some of the domestic trucks there. There are a few trucks with 44s that I know I won't stand a chance after they go through. Unless the skid plate idea works and momentum carries me through the deep stuff while I ride on the skidplate.

Any lift is good, but you dont necessarily need a big lift to clear big tires, it just makes things a whole lot easier :banana: The big lifts gain you a lot of body clearnce, but drivetrain clearance is only gained by larger tires or a little extra lift on the struts. Personally for mud I would go with a big lift, keep the body out of the mud and that creates less drag, I just threw out the 2" as a suggestion, I dont know what kind of budget you are on...

-Bill

A lift, unless it is suspension, will give you NO ground clearance improvements.

All you are doing when body lifting a Subaru is making room for larger tires. The lift itself will do nothing to improve ground clearance aside from getting your bumpers higher. All the important stuff like crossmembers, the motor, the driveline, and the diff will still be the same height from the ground as it was stock UNTIL you put some larger diameter tires on.

It doesn't matter if you do a 2" block in between the body and crossmember, or a 20" block in between the body and crossmember; until you put on some big tires, you are still going to have stock ground clearance.

The 2" suspension lifts (just blocks above the struts) are another story. They will improve your ground clearance by roughly, you guessed it, 2 inches!!! Then you will gain more with more tire. Roughly 1" ground clearance for every 2" diameter the tire is over stock

Edited by 3eyedwagon

Technically lifting the Subaru will give you more clearance under the body.

These lifts are not conventional "Body lifts" nor are they true "suspension lifts".

Because its a Uni-body design, you gain no additional clearance under your diff's. However, your body will gain 2", 4" or however much lift you go with.

I suggest if you are going to re-route your exhaust, you find a Turbo Subaru and use the exhaust headers from it. The pipe crosses in front of the oil pan instead of under the oil pan, and you will be able to tuck your skid plate up closer to the body.

Also, if you really want to make this a true mud-bogger, you might want to look into replacing that piece of crap engine with a real one. Start searching for EJ22 swaps.

Go with the one out the GL.it has a lower low range.Although with a EJ22.I doubt that you would even need low range to spin the 27" tractor tires.I had an EA81 with tractor tires about that size.It went everywhere except snow...but the EA81 didn't have the power to spin the tires in the mud.press the gas more and the car just goes faster through the mud.

with that being said,it might be best to cut/bash your fenders to fit the tires,then see how she does

:burnout: :burnout:

:burnout: :burnout: