Ultimate Subaru Message Board

mud bogging loyale?

logang1k

where should I put the O2 sensor when I reroute the exhaust? After the 2 pipes Y together, right? How far from the exhaust port?

Well since this is a Mud bogger, I wouldn't even worrie about te O2 sensor (Leave it out) its not like your gonna drive this on the road. I ran mine without an O2 sensor for a day (Long story) and it idles pretty good, it just runs a bit rich, but you ain't driving this on the road anyway so I don't see any reason to have an O2 sensor in it.

Also, I see no need to run a Y-pipe. Just run one pipe off each head and bring it up thru the hood/engine bay like you said before.

-Tom :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since this is a Mud bogger, I wouldn't even worrie about te O2 sensor (Leave it out) its not like your gonna drive this on the road. I ran mine without an O2 sensor for a day (Long story) and it idles pretty good, it just runs a bit rich, but you ain't driving this on the road anyway so I don't see any reason to have an O2 sensor in it.

Also, I see no need to run a Y-pipe. Just run one pipe off each head and bring it up thru the hood/engine bay like you said before.

-Tom :)

For the mud, at the very least it needs a Y pipe if he doesnt have custom cams, with 2 separated pipes he will have seriously less torque (voice of experience here). If it were me, I'd do what I always do, run duals with an X pipe. Same great sound, way better torque.

-Bill

For the mud, at the very least it needs a Y pipe if he doesnt have custom cams, with 2 separated pipes he will have seriously less torque (voice of experience here). If it were me, I'd do what I always do, run duals with an X pipe. Same great sound, way better torque.

-Bill

I was gonna say mr true dual exhaust. You do know the result of no y pipe.

I am gonna try to make the header as close to equal length as possible while running the pipes in front of the motor. I am gonna try to find a long "quiet" muffler and run the muffler out of the hood. I dont wanna be "that guy" with the annoyingly loud car. I dont have a good welder so I'm gonna get it tacked together and take it to a friend to get finish welded. Anyone know of a good place to get pre-bent U's and J's in a 1.75 or 1.875? Also is there any emission stuff I can delete to make it lighter? This is a strictly off road vehicle that is only gonna be used in the mud so im gonna gut the interior but leave in the door panels so I dont beat myself up. I may rhino line the floor for grip after I get all muddy, or use skateboard tape. Any lightening ideas are welcome. I still need 4 seats and 4 operational doors. 4 working door windows would be nice. I also need it pretty "mud tight" I don't wanna cut the roof off or take the doors off, anything crazy like that.

I am that guy with the annoyingly loud car, so no worries, you won't be :lol:

I get all my pre-made bends from summitracing.com, good stuff.

Since you are running the stock spfi engine, you can get new cams from Delta Camshaft to give you a lot more low-end grunt (you will want as much as you can get) and they are only like $75 a pair. There really isn't anything you can remove from a spfi motor, they are pretty much as stripped as they can get and still run properly.

The interior really doesn't have anything that wieghs a whole lot by itself, but if you strip the carpet, door cards, all the trim, and chip out all the sound deadener, it will make a big difference. The armrests attach to the door itself, so you can remove the door panels.

-Bill

I'm thinking about only leaving the seats and dash in the interior. Getting rid of the headliner, pillar covers, radio and speakers, and all the rest of the interior panels. Maybe trying to chip up the asphault based sound deadener.

replace side windows with lexan?or remove them completely?

remove headliner,carpet,plastic bumper covers(better is run steel bumpers-but that is a weight penalty.

remove fenders

remove grill

remove emblems and badges and trim

run hood pins?cut some of the support structure for the hood away,hell remove hinges and replace with hood pins instead.

*KEEP the cowl panel at the bottom of the front window.Otherwise the plastic mounts for the wipers get brittle and they break*

if its offroad only,feel free to remove taillights,mirrors,and mud flaps

remove any non essential brackets.IE there are some brackets for holding the plastic inner liner in place for the front fenders.remove liner,remove brackets,etc...

Edited by Uberoo

You don't have to get that crazy taking parts off, Ive ADDED over 500 lbs of wieght to my 87 wagon, and swapped in an older engine, and I'm running 31/10.5 tires and it has no trouble in mud. I'd strip the interior and get all the sound deadener out, rhino line it, and it's good. Things like the grill and emblems don't add up to more than 5 lbs on the whole car, so no need to waste time with that. Just cam the motor, lift it, d/r swap and you will be very happy with what it will do.

-Bill

You don't have to get that crazy taking parts off, Ive ADDED over 500 lbs of wieght to my 87 wagon, and swapped in an older engine, and I'm running 31/10.5 tires and it has no trouble in mud. I'd strip the interior and get all the sound deadener out, rhino line it, and it's good. Things like the grill and emblems don't add up to more than 5 lbs on the whole car, so no need to waste time with that. Just cam the motor, lift it, d/r swap and you will be very happy with what it will do.

-Bill

Older engine? are you running an EA81?

-Bill

For next year's mud bog I hope to have an ej22 swapped in so I'll probably skip the cams. But everything else is in line to happen. D/R is on it's way, on the waiting list for a lift from you, interior is getting stripped today, tires are mounted waiting for some 6 lug hubs, exhaust tubing is ordered for the custom header, skidplate is still in the design stages

when I take the S/R tranny out for the D/R, what should I replace on the motor and transmission? This will be my first tranny replacement. I have read alot about it and have a manual, will it be too much for a beginner?

Check the tranny mounts, if they are bad replace them. If the clutch assembly looks good and works fine right now, I'd leave it alone since you arent swapping in the EJ yet. When you do the EJ swap you will need to replace that. You will need the 4wd Hi-Lo selector lever from a D/R car, that linkage bolts directly onto the stock 5 speed shifter plate. You will have to re-wire the tranny harness so you have back up lights and 4wd indicator on the dash, but you will not have any lo-range indicator unless you wire one in somewhere. Its a really easy swap, Ive done it in a DL which is exactly the same as a Loyale.

-Bill

Got my tubing in to build my header today. I should wait until after the lift to build the header because clearances will change, right? I am gonna use the stock header for the flanges and use 26-32" of 1-3/4 pipe then use a 2-1 Y-pipe that is 1-3/4 to 2". I plan on running it forward in front of the motor and out of the hood but it looks like it's gonna be tight. I plan on using a glasspack type muffler but space may not allow for a muffler