Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken intake bolt XT6

I am doing head gaskets on an 89 xt6. One of the intake bolts is broken, the frontmost on the driver side head.

I have the rest of the intake off, just the bottom part is still attached to the head. I figures worst comes to worst, i;ll just bolt ut back up less the one bolt so long as the gasket holds up. There are LOTS of bubbles in the radiator when the car ran, and the oil was very milkshakey(car was low on coolant, it only seemd to milkshake after i added coolant, when i first got the car, oil looked just black before then)

Right now the lower intake piece is still on the head, because it is stuck onto the broken bolt.

I could make an attempt to drill out the bolt, but i am worried if i go too far, i wont be able to reassemble.

I have run other engines with a missing/broken intake bolt and new gaskets, with no problems.

For the sake of going back together, i think i will be best to leave it be.

I have pics, but i need to use another computer that will detect my camera so i can post them.

Also while i am at it, how often do ER27 heads crack in the water jacket. So far from what i can tell, the middle cylinders failed on both heads, and the passenger head came off like the bolts did not have much torque. The engine was overheated judging by melted timing belt covers.

the head gasket itself looked ok. the gasket looked different than the normal ea82, its not the graphite faced one. I have done countless ea82's, but this is the first time i touched an er27

opinions?

Edited by MilesFox

Well remember when I said, "How about gently prying the intake up with a BJ fork" to see if it will slide off over that broken stud. Then use a clamp-on pliers to unscrew the bolt/stud. If we could do that with out damaging the gasket I mean. Cause then all you'd need to do if find another intake bolt, and you'd be a happy camper.

Huh, now that you said water jacket that makes me wonder...? But most times when a Jacket go's it'll by-pass the oil system and go straight out the exhaust valve, from what I've been told and seen ('99 S-10 Blazer)

i've had a bunch of these and posted quite a few times on how to deal with them.

remove the bolt. the intake gaskets are prone to leaking anyway and the xt6 is much longer and more spread out than EA stuff, i would not feel comfortable leaving unless it was my own daily driver and my problem to deal with :lol:.

i just helped a friend remove one the other day. you loosen, then tighten, loosen, tighten. then go do something for 15 minutes to let it cool down and not shear off. repeat. after 30 minutes to an hour the bolt will come out. but it's tedious.

you're past that point. just work the intake off, drill it out if you have too and remove the bolt.

and don't use an EZout, if one of those work then any number of other things will also work.

if you have any thread left sticking out of the head (which you should) the easiest way to remove it is to put a nut over the bolt shank and fill it with weld, then use a socket to extract it. without the corossion inside the manifold holding it anymore it should pull out of the head just fine.

if not - use a left handed drill bit and drill it out. eventually the lefthanded bit will actually unthread the bolt.

Can you clamp the Intake piece in a vise, and then rotate the head around the bolt counter clockwise?

It will either unscrew the bolt, or loosen the intake piece off the stuck bolt......either way would be helpful.

i am thinking if i drill in a little bit, i can remove what is left of the intake. the bolt brole off at the head, not the threads, so there will be a good inch of shank to grab onto and turn it out the rest of the way.

but as GD said, this will be my own daily car, i can live with any potential problems. but ultimately, i would probably part the car and sell the motor(after i have my fun with it), so the repair is worth it in that regard.

i'll admit i rushed the torque on that last bolt, already knowing better. i think the shank of the bolt is seized in the intake more so than the threads themselves

i have a propane torch. how safe is it to heat the aluminum? i'm afraid i'll compromise the aluminum structure if i heat it too much.

i am thinking if i drill in a little bit, i can remove what is left of the intake. the bolt brole off at the head, not the threads, so there will be a good inch of shank to grab onto and turn it out the rest of the way.

but as GD said, this will be my own daily car, i can live with any potential problems. but ultimately, i would probably part the car and sell the motor(after i have my fun with it), so the repair is worth it in that regard.

i'll admit i rushed the torque on that last bolt, already knowing better. i think the shank of the bolt is seized in the intake more so than the threads themselves

i have a propane torch. how safe is it to heat the aluminum? i'm afraid i'll compromise the aluminum structure if i heat it too much.

It takes very little heat to deform aluminum, and once it gets hot, it keeps melting like plastic almost. So be very careful. Focus any heat on the steel and only light yellow flame. no blue flame

Being that thick and aluminum it might be hard to get the soak time just right, particularly with propane, but it's probably worth a shot. I wouldn't be too worried about the aluminum deforming, I'd make sure you're using an OEM gasket anyway since the aftermarkets are really flimsy and weak. An OEM subaru gasket won't leak.

I tell you one thing, Once we get this thing back together and on the road - you have to let me drive it some :banana:

-Tom

You are to young to have that enjoyment..... :lol::grin:

Nothing like sitting behind the wheel of a 6 the 1st time.

Well,,,, OK. Maybe the 1st time behind the wheel of a WRX STI....

tom and tom, i got some kerosene and a plastic tub to clean the parts. The xt6 will be the most powerful subaru i have driven yet, except for the handful of times i got to drive a 2002 2.5 rs.

we'll see how well the bolt comes out, i still have to get out in the garage, been busy working for the landlord, free rent!

You are to young to have that enjoyment..... :lol::grin:

Nothing like sitting behind the wheel of a 6 the 1st time.

Well,,,, OK. Maybe the 1st time behind the wheel of a WRX STI....

Har har! I think I'm to young be able to enjoy a Brat. :lol:

Miles, Ok sounds good. I will come over on Saturday about noonish like always.

:)

I had the same thing on an EA82T not long ago. Last bolt to remove the intake manifold the head broke off.

I used a long (6ft) digging bar to 'lift' the manifold while I WD40'd and twisted the 'free' manifold round the remaining bolt. WD40 + twist, repeat until enough rust wears away from the the broken off bolt to free the manifold. Once the manifold is off no drama to remove the remaining bolt.

Have never worked on an XT6 motor so I have no idea if this would work. Can tell you that it worked well for me. I would have needed a trip to an engineering shop if above hadn't worked. Great shop nearby so a shopping trip is dangerous :grin:

Have never worked on an XT6 motor so I have no idea if this would work.
yes it should, XT6 is nearly identical and the way he's describing it should be relatively easy actually.

i've dealt with this same issue a number of times. once the manifold would actuallly come up a bit, but not all the way off. i used a sawzall to cut the bolt under the manifold. but more than likely it'll stay flush.

if you're doing the head gaskets and having the heads machined the machine shop can remove the bolt as well very easily. but these are actually not that bad to remove as far as bolts go.

I tried to upload more pics, logged in as desmond, but they wouldnt go up. might have to resize them or host them elsewhere. i'll have them up later today.

Try Photobucket.com (Good hosting site) I have loads upon loads of pics on there.

Just copy the IMG code and paste it on here :)

-Tom

I installed a photo gallery on my website now. so hopefully more pics. the problem i have is my computer not recognizing my camera, and desmonds computer(which has my pics) not recognizing my flash drive, and the images are too big for usmb attachment.

anyway...SUCESS!!!!

i was able to just turn the whole intake port and unthread the bolt. the bold did turn enough to break torque from the thread, before it seized up in its bore on the intake.

once i unthreaded the whole piece, i was able to knock out the offending bolt with a drift punch.

Now all i need is a matching bolt. i have spares from spfi intakes, one of the shorter ones should match.

I have o-rings now, the whole top end of the motor is ready to assmeble now(heads are already installed)

I am an oil pan gasket away from dropping the engine back into the car.