Ultimate Subaru Message Board

seattle exhuast work

I want to redo some of my exhaust this summer on my 84 4wd wagon, new high flow muffler and possible getting rid of the cats.

Been looking for shops, but then i though it would be cool if i could give someone here money to do it.

I have moderate automotive skill so i could definitely help. however i now live an in apartment :-\ and don't know how to weld so work would have to be done somewhere else.

so.. . anyone in the seattle area interested in some extra cash? or know of a good place to get exhaust work done (that would be cool with removing cats)?

--chris

Your best bet is to only have the mid-pipe and muffler done up. No shop is going to remove the cat (BIG fine), and in any case there is not much to be gained by replacing the stock header - if you increase the size you will lose the scavenging benefits of the stock header and you'll actually lose low-end torque. Better to just have the mid-pipe and muffler replaced and leave the header as it is.

Then after it's done you can drop by someone's place who has a welder - pop the dust sheild off the cat, cut a flap in it, punch out the contents, and weld it back up. That way it still looks like it has a cat.....

GD

roger that.

sounds like a good plan.

still will need someone or someplace to have that done. any exhaust shops people recommend? or i would be willing to pay some one cash and food and beer to help me out.

also i like your plan for the cat. i never thought about that. its really too bad the cat is part of the y-pipe which means you can never find one at pull-a-part :mad:

dont toss the cat insides, they are prbly worth just as much as the car.

I'm not so sure about the really old one's that required the air injection system - I don't think they are worth much. Also - many of the one's I've opened up had nothing left in them - just the chain-mail mesh and the metal brackets that used to hold the honeycomb in place. No actual cat material - it get's broken up and then the lack of flow from it breaking cause it to overheat and actually burn away to dust.

GD

I hear they don't want the scraps without the whole cat together, at least for cash.

I might need some work done too. I need to fit my ej y pipe to my 87 brat and then to the end of the car.

Edited by Yo'J

Airport Welding- Snohomish, WA super nice people, fair prices.

Small shop but worth the drive. Only 20-30 min out of Seattle.

I don't have a number off hand, should just be able to pull up the name.

I was going to say. These guys are awesome. They have done many exhaust's on my own, and my family's cars and we have been going here for 15+ years. Including making a crazy straight-pipe stinger/victory exhaust on my ea82, and then later adding a muffler. Also made a amazing dual exhaust system on my dad's 64 mustang - from scratch. Very reasonable prices too.

These guys are great, I highly recommend them.

I'm a bit far away but if you want to take a run to Portland I could easily punch out the cat and weld it up for you.

GD

thank you, i will definitely keep that in mind if im heading that way.

and airport welding,

sweet guys, im pretty excited to get my wagon back to a reliable vehicle. i had almost decided to sell it and buy a jeep, but now that i've started spiffin it up my love is renewed.