Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car accident, opinions needed

Ok, so my car got hit a glancing blow by another car. she managed to avoid

t-boning me in the drivers side is amazing, but the passenger side of her car hit the passenger side front bumper of my car. Just to clarify, it was a T junction and I was turning left, the car came from the left but she swerved and managed to avoid t boning me. for the record she had no lights on on a overcast rainy day near sunset in a Grey or brown car is not a recipe for being seen. So any way I am going to post some pictures, And I need some opinions on things like how much it may take to fix, whether or not I can sell it for parts, new front tires, 60% to 70% on the rear. Anyway since I puller out and Oregon is a majority responsibility state, i get nothing. Basically because I pulled out even though I could not see her, I still have majority responsible for the accident. So I have some money, read less than 1000 dollars, I need to know what options I have at this point. Refer to pictures below for how bad it is. Amazingly the engine still starts. Thanks to everyone in advance.

ViceMan

post-18942-136027640407_thumb.jpg

post-18942-136027640418_thumb.jpg

post-18942-136027640425_thumb.jpg

post-18942-136027640436_thumb.jpg

Edited by ViceMan

Pics on the outside usually tell you nothing. What you need to look at is the "frame rail" on the inside of the engine comparment. It's the sheetmetal box tube that runs next to the head of the engine, the engine crossmember bolts to it, and the bumper bolts to it in the front. If it's straight, and there isn't any kinks in it, then hanging a new fender and bumper could get you close.

If you crumpled it, and I'd suspect you did, use a chain on the lower tow hook and a solid object (put a strap around a tree if you use one, it will kill the tree otherwise), and use the car's momentum in reverse to pull the front end back out.

Do some sledgehammering, get a new fender, and get it close enough to hook up.

Check the lower control arm, radius rod, and strut on that side, it's not hard to bend stuff like that and the allignment will be off.

I would bet, if you dropped it off at a body shop, and had them repair it....probably in the neighborhood of $2k.

obviously it needs "new" hood, fender, bumper, and headlight at the very least.

it'll probably need to go on a frame rack, as I bet the frame is tweaked.

possibly radiator....who knows what's damaged under the hood.

now, you might be able to find a shop that will pull the frame out, and you can do the rest on your own. some junkyard body panels and such, you might be able to fix it for $500-1k (the frame rack will be the majority of the cost here, with a connection, you might be able to get it done for a couple hundred).

the way the front appears to be accordion folded, both up, then down, I hope the frame is not cracked. The hit twisted the frame, and it has some sway as well. Not going to be easy to fix, but can be done. Another car with no accident history to switch parts over to would be the best choice, but also since that car has zero rust, it would be worth fixing.

Clean the engine bay before insurance looks at it! The rest of it too. It will help you get the most out of your insurance. I'm sure they will total it. If it looks like it could have come straight off the lot they have to get you lot prices.:)

Well No insurance money for me. I am majority responsible for the accident, which means in Oregon, I can't claim against the other driver, so sol for me. Here are 4 pictures of the inside of the engine bay, the hood would not raise all the way up so I took what pictures I could. good news is that the passenger side door opens. If you guys need more pictures of the area just tell what you need to see and I will do my best to get them. Thanks again for everyone's help.

ViceMan

Looks like a lost cause to me - at the very least there's going to be serious welding involved to replace the core support and maybe as far back as the passenger strut tower. I have a three-door coupe sitting beside my garage that had a less-severe impact to the same spot and it crumpled the frame rail about 6" forward of the strut tower. I got a front clip from a yard for like $35 and began the process of welding it on but have been busy with other stuff recently. All it needs is a bit more fitting and the final welding done and then the front end put back together.

Actually - this three-door coupe I have would be a good candidate for you. It's essentially the same car you have but with a coupe body. It's still a 2WD auto like your's so you could use your's as a parts car for it. It could use a paint job but it's only got like 120k on it and has new timing belts, etc.

GD