Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any problem ditching the driveshaft, differential, rear axles on '84 4wd wagon?

Like the title says, I wonder if I can remove the drive shaft, rear differential, rear axles, and drive down the road.

From what I've observed on the car, there's no reason I shouldn't do this.

Is there anything I missed that would make the removal of these parts a problem?

There is no reason to do it - you won't gain any economy. Blocking the fluid from getting out of the transmission is easily solved but it's still pretty much a no gain situation - you lose the 4WD capability but still have the 4WD gearing so the mileage is the same.

GD

He's right, the only way you'd really save on economy would be the lost weight, which amounts to bugger all really. Why would you want to do this?

He's right, the only way you'd really save on economy would be the lost weight, which amounts to bugger all really. Why would you want to do this?

Why I want to do this:

I plan to remove the differential, and have it's seals replaced, as well as:

new rear axles

I don't know how long it will take to get these parts, and I just wanted to drive the car around during the wait.

Thanks for the advice. I'll just let the car sit for a couple more weeks.

mkoch

uh, the rear axles don't hold the wheels on like in the front. As long as he pulls the axles but leaves their stubs in the hubs he's fine.

As long as you can keep from losing fluid, you can yank the rear axles, the diff, and the driveline. One trick I've used before was to stick a shifter knob inside of an axle boot, and push the threaded end of the knob through the small aperture of the boot, and clamp it.. then stick the boot over the transmission output in place of the yoke and clamp it on; the gear oil should all stay where it is.