Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Picked up a 1991 Legacy SS yesterday...

with 164,000 miles, all maintenance records and receipts since new, 4EAT rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago, new timing belt, axles, wheel bearings, windshield, and on and on. Factory fog lights, cruise control, power windows/locks/mirrors, ice cold A/C recently recharged, everything works except for the sunroof.

The guy selling it didn't really seem to know what he had, and was just selling it for his girlfriend. He had dozens of emails within minutes of posting in on craigslist, but I was the only person who gave a phone number.

Needs some work on the sunroof, new sunroof seal, paint has some clearcoat peeling, seats and interior need a good cleaning, wheels need to be painted, trim needs to be re-painted, blahblahblah.

Future plans: 2006 WRX or Saab 900 intercooler, new paint, and that's about it until I am done with school.

Previous owner thought it was a 1992, but it's not.

LegacySS009.jpg

A viscous LSD is better than no LSD at all.

These need some work.

LegacySS005.jpg

More pictures soon, including one of the original window sticker.

Don't ask me how much I paid for it, I don't like gloating. :)

Yes, all 1991 turbo Legacy models had a viscous LSD. The plug is just dirty, it's just my crappy camera making it look funny. All fluids are going to be drained and replaced before any long trips.

Original window sticker.

windowsticker2.jpg

The car was originally sold in College Park, MD. From all the service receipts, I can tell that the original owner(s) lived in Gaithersburg, MD, McLean, VA, Boulder, CO, Westminster, CO, Naples, FL, Portland, OR, and finally West Linn, OR. The person I bought it from was the second or third owner, I'm not quite sure. She owned it for just about two years.

MPG sticker.

mpg.jpg

I'm going to paint the wheels as close to the original silver as I can. Powder coating is not in my budget right now.

LegacySS008.jpg

Edited by 2.5_IMP

Yes, all 1991 turbo Legacy models had a viscous LSD. The plug is just dirty, it's just my crappy camera making it look funny. All fluids are going to be drained and replaced before any long trips.

Original window sticker.

windowsticker.jpg

The car was originally sold in College Park, MD. From all the service receipts, I can tell that the original owner(s) lived in Gaithersburg, MD, McLean, VA, Boulder, CO, Westminster, CO, Naples, FL, Portland, OR, and finally West Linn, OR. The person I bought it from was the second or third owner, I'm not quite sure. She owned it for just about two years.

MPG sticker.

mpg.jpg

I'm going to paint the wheels as close to the original silver as I can. Powder coating is not in my budget right now.

LegacySS008.jpg

Wow, lucky find.

Gotta love those 2 or 3 owner cars.

I find it amusing, that this car is practically just the turbo sedan version of

my sister's new car.

Hers has all the options listed as yours does, just no turbo and in a wagon

(and no LSD, of course).

I'm just kinda surprised at the fuel mileage listed, 18-24?

And that's only 7 mpg above the lowest on the group :eek:

I just hope that's the fuel mileage if you keep your foot in it.

Twitch

I got lucky at the junkyard today. Trim that sits above the doors, sunroof weatherstripping in better condition, gas cap that isn't broken plus the rubber trim that seals the gas door, weird plastic covers that sit on top of the front struts, two Legacy rear quarter panel badges, and some interior trim pieces.

LegacySS001.jpg

My plan was to take the existing trim off and paint it, but the trim from the junkyard was cheaper than the paint and materials.

LegacySS003.jpg

If everything goes according to plan, this weekend I'll be picking up some 1991 SS seats in better condition than mine, and some 1993 SS black carpet.

Edited by 2.5_IMP

good job of finding parts.

I recently got a 94SS and have a short junkyard list to get consisting of:

lumbar support lever for the driver seat

dome light bulb

control arm right front lower

mudflaps

radio bass/treble knobs without a crack- keeps them from working 100%

thats about what mine needs and will get this stuff Saturday. I can pull all this stuff from a NA car, its all the same on these parts.

Glad you are improving yours too.

We should compare how much we have spent on our '91's :).

I also got a smokin deal - I traded straight across for a '94 wagon that I had about $1000 into. Came with a low mileage (110k) engine from a '94 TTW half installed and a high volume fuel pump. I figure with the 2007 Forester XT intercooler and the TD05-16G (90* inlet) I have around $1500 into it. Needs a clutch now though after my woman drove it for a month :mad:. Totally worth every penny being it's a factory 5 speed car and the interior is pretty sharp still. I have a bit of body work to do eventually on one rear quarter but it's very minor.

You'll have to bring it by sometime.

GD

I can pull all this stuff from a NA car, its all the same on these parts.

Glad you are improving yours too.

It's convenient how most of the NA/turbo parts interchange, as I've never seen a Legacy Turbo in the junkyards here.

We should compare how much we have spent on our '91's :).

I also got a smokin deal - I traded straight across for a '94 wagon that I had about $1000 into. Came with a low mileage (110k) engine from a '94 TTW half installed and a high volume fuel pump. I figure with the 2007 Forester XT intercooler and the TD05-16G (90* inlet) I have around $1500 into it. Needs a clutch now though after my woman drove it for a month :mad:. Totally worth every penny being it's a factory 5 speed car and the interior is pretty sharp still. I have a bit of body work to do eventually on one rear quarter but it's very minor.

You'll have to bring it by sometime.

GD

Considering the 5 Speed, clean interior, and turbo/intercooler upgrade, I think you got a better deal. My back seat is nice, everything else needs a good cleaning/replacement.

I'll bring it by once I get the sunroof to stop leaking, and the interior dried out.

LegacySS010.jpg

I found one of the reasons it leaks: the inner seal was out of place.

LegacySS011.jpg

The sunroof will not open fully, but I can get it to go up and back down.

LegacySS014.jpg

Now when it is closed, it will sit level.

The outer weatherstripping was disintegrating in several places. I'm going to remove and replace the silicone that goes around the drain holes, clean it up re-install the weatherstripping, and call it good. I don't need a functioning sunroof in the Pacific Northwest, just one that doesn't leak.

Wow, lucky find.

Gotta love those 2 or 3 owner cars.

I find it amusing, that this car is practically just the turbo sedan version of

my sister's new car.

Hers has all the options listed as yours does, just no turbo and in a wagon

(and no LSD, of course).

I'm just kinda surprised at the fuel mileage listed, 18-24?

And that's only 7 mpg above the lowest on the group :eek:

I just hope that's the fuel mileage if you keep your foot in it.

Twitch

And keep in mind that's 18-24 miles per gallon of 92 octane. :eek: I'm hoping I can do better than 18-24, we'll see.

Lookin good.

The sunroof should open about 6" and then stop. Then you have to press the button again to fully open it.

I rarely have mine open - it's either too bright for it, too wet for it, or too cold for it. Maybe a couple times each summer does it get fully opened while driving.

You'll have fun replacing that roof-line trim. Remove all of it and clean behind it - there will be a lot of crap back under there.

GD

And keep in mind that's 18-24 miles per gallon of 92 octane. :eek: I'm hoping I can do better than 18-24, we'll see.

I don't know if the auto was rated the same as the manual or not - but I'm lucky to get 16.5 or 17 out of mine. But then I drive it like I stole it everywhere I go. I just begs for it :grin:.

I don't know how many '91 SS's were made with manual transmission but they seem comparitively rare. The majority of the one's I've seen have been auto's.

GD

Lookin good.

The sunroof should open about 6" and then stop. Then you have to press the button again to fully open it.

I rarely have mine open - it's either too bright for it, too wet for it, or too cold for it. Maybe a couple times each summer does it get fully opened while driving.

You'll have fun replacing that roof-line trim. Remove all of it and clean behind it - there will be a lot of crap back under there.

GD

Heh. I'll have to try that, and see if it works. There is a lot of crap in there. I'll be cleaning and re-installing the trim with great attention to detail, as I like to take my showers at home rather than in the car.

Carpet and seats have been removed. No mold underneath the carpet, which is a relief.

LegacySS04152010003.jpg

Payday. First time I've found a JFK half dollar and a Mexican cincuenta centavos piece.

LegacySS04152010002.jpg

I'm picking up a better pair of these exact same seats this weekend from a guy in University City. This pair will be cleaned up and put up for sale in the coming weeks.

LegacySS04152010004.jpg

Moldy, dirty carpet to be replaced with some black 1993 SS carpet I'm picking up in Auburn, WA.

LegacySS04152010001.jpg

Back seat is super nice!

LegacySS04152010005.jpg

91s might be different, but based on the way i drive and where i rest left foot, any time i have the carpet out i add extra padding under it to hopefully avoid the wear spots / holes which always seem to occur on the driver side.

the air vent, the wire runs? the plastic buttons? there always seems to be something wearing a hole in my carpet, even with floor mats.

whats the brain over under the passenger seat by the sill?

A sticker on it says "Auto" , so I think it is for the 4EAT. I look forward to the day I remove it.

91s might be different, but based on the way i drive and where i rest left foot, any time i have the carpet out i add extra padding under it to hopefully avoid the wear spots / holes which always seem to occur on the driver side.

the air vent, the wire runs? the plastic buttons? there always seems to be something wearing a hole in my carpet, even with floor mats.

The carpet was worn very thin on the driver's side, especially over the dead pedal. Extra padding sounds like a good idea. The black carpet should look good with my Subaru all weather floor mats.

When I bought the car, the title was clean. I found this sticker on the driver's side door...

LegacySS04162010003.jpg

Signs of a shoddy re-spray...

LegacySS04162010005.jpg

Seam sealer and primer inside the trunk on the passenger side...

LegacySS04162010002.jpg

LegacySS04162010001.jpg

At least two accidents, probably three. The repairs seem to have been done by professionals, except for the paint on the spoiler and trunk. Oh well, the sunroof is working now...

LegacySS04162010004.jpg

the sticker on the door is not for a Turbo car.

tires size is the giveaway

195/60R15 is what is should say.

your door been swapped at some point. no biggie.

also, notice its says 4wd wagon at the bottom

it looks like you found a piggy bank of coins nice:)

if you get tired of the LSD, i will swap my open diff

If you needs spares, i have quite a bit around still.

Edited by bheinen74

the sticker on the door is not for a Turbo car.

tires size is the giveaway

195/60R15 is what is should say.

your door been swapped at some point. no biggie.

also, notice its says 4wd wagon at the bottom

it looks like you found a piggy bank of coins nice:)

if you get tired of the LSD, i will swap my open diff

If you needs spares, i have quite a bit around still.

Yep, that's why I noticed. Definitely not a wagon.

Oh, I don't think I'll get tired of the LSD. :)

Oh, I don't think I'll get tired of the LSD. :)

Definitely not! I love the VLSD in mine. It gives the back end just enough push to counter some of the car's under steer.

Weird about the sticker but I'm sure it was just a door replace. The title won't be branded if the insurance doesn't total it out - it will be repaired and unless you car-fax it (maybe not even then) it won't show on anything. If there was no insurance claim then there is no paper trail at all really.

Still a wonderful car - IMO the only year of the EJ22T to own - built in japan - lots of goodies - and a front end that looks decent. The '92 and up post-facelift models look ugly in the front to me.

GD

I'm hooked. Need MOAR pictures.

More soon...

Definitely not! I love the VLSD in mine. It gives the back end just enough push to counter some of the car's under steer.

Weird about the sticker but I'm sure it was just a door replace. The title won't be branded if the insurance doesn't total it out - it will be repaired and unless you car-fax it (maybe not even then) it won't show on anything. If there was no insurance claim then there is no paper trail at all really.

Still a wonderful car - IMO the only year of the EJ22T to own - built in japan - lots of goodies - and a front end that looks decent. The '92 and up post-facelift models look ugly in the front to me.

GD

Yep, I'm not really upset, just kicking myself for not inspecting it closer. But, no matter how much I try to look a car over before purchasing, I always miss something.

I spent thirty minutes today polishing the headlights with some Meguiar's Plast-X polish. Masked off the paint, cleaned the headlights with isopropyl alcohol, and went to town.

Before and after:

LegacySS04222010002.jpg

LegacySS04222010004.jpg

LegacySS04222010001.jpg

LegacySS04222010003.jpg

Not bad for a half hour and a bit of elbow grease. Now I just need a polishing attachment for my drill to make them look new.

Anyone know what this ground wire is supposed to be connected to?

LegacySS04222010005.jpg

I guess I should replace the valve cover gaskets while I'm replacing the spark plugs. PCV valve, air filter, fuel filter, and rubber fuel lines are being replaced as well.

LegacySS04222010006.jpg

LegacySS04222010007.jpg

I tracked down the leak in the PCV system. The rear passenger side valve cover hose is cracked at the base, and is coating the turbo with a nice mist of oil.

Everything from the passenger side removed and awaiting cleaning:

LegacySS04262010001.jpg

Time for a new air filter. This is the first Subaru I've bought that had an OEM filter in it from the previous owner.

LegacySS04262010002.jpg