Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gl10 and Loyale differences?

I can't seem to find the right terms to search, but the simple question is what parts interchange between the gl10 and loyales?

I'm having trouble finding a gl10 window, but there's a few loyales around town.

So, how dumb does that come off?:rolleyes:

The loyale is the GL rebranded. GL-10 was a trim line with all the options (intermittent windshield wipers, rear cargo light and cover, things like that), turbo was optional. Turbo was optional on the loyale as well. They also offered the 4EAT from 1987.5 to 1990, mostly, if not only, in the turbo models, then subaru put the 4EAT into the legacy and removed it from the loyale line and stuck the loyale with the 3at after 1990 as well as removing the turbo option I believe.

You can get the stuff off a loyale and swap it into a GL10, and you can take the GL10 stuff and swap it onto a loyale. They are the same car. I have added all the GL10 options that are cool to my loyale. It's easy to do and cheap as well. Hope that helps!

GL-10 typically means "most availible options". It does not always indicate a turbo - it's a trim level and so can be any level of trim higher than a GL. GL-10's existed before the first Subaru turbo and can even be 2WD's - there were plenty of EA81 GL-10 coupe's, etc. There were also GL-5's and other designations that were used. In Japan you could buy an EA81 coupe in a "GFT-5" trim. Lots of different badging was used in the GL days from the 70's to '89.

GD

Thnx for the additional info and replies, still bout as clear as MUD :-\

Would it be safe to say then that the designations only refer to body trim and options and not power plant or drive train?

For some reason It was my understanding that 85'-89'ish GL Wagons were Non-Turbo, EA82 D/R 5 spd...?

Did the DL get dropped altogether during the 80's?

No - for trim line badging in the US (for EA82's) there were DL, GL, and GL-10's right up through '89. There are no hard and fast rules as to what differentiate's a GL-10 from a regular GL. You could order all the same options as a GL-10 on a regular GL - at which point they would probably only differ in upholstery. In addition, the options included in the packages changed from year to year.

The only thing you can get from the bading is a general sense of the how "luxurious" the car is. DL's have the quad sealed beam headlight arrangement and crank windows. GL-10's typically have things like adjustable delay wipers, premium uphostery, digital-dash, and sunroofs. But there just aren't many "rules" as things changed over model years and there's lots of odd-ball examples out there of cars that have many options seemingly beyond their trim level. My '84 wagon - badged as GL - had every option availible except turbo and 4WD - still wasn't a GL-10.

GD

GL-10 just means the most "luxurious" options available for that year as far as driver/passenger comforts.

Windows is windows, only difference being (in that year, any model) you either have electric or manual type.

So having a GL-10 means that you have electric..."luxurious". LOL

GL-10 was a trim line with all the options (intermittent windshield wipers, rear cargo light and cover, things like that), .....

Just to clarify more, my '86 GL (not the GL-10) has those as well. The GL-10 must have some additional add-ons.

It's all swapable, with this exception:

Drivetrain stuff does not swap IF one car is a turbo and the other is not. Transmission front differential and front half shafts used 25 spline count on the axles, where non-turbos used 23. Also, the rear drivetrain gearing is different - 37 to 1 for the turbo, 39 to 1 for the non turbo. Also the Y-pipe on the exhaust is different.

TTBOMK though, all interior parts are swapable, though I'm sure I'll remember that one thing that doesn't AFTER you've already bought it! :banana:.

Maybe instrument clusters differ between the DL, the GL and the GL-10? I don't know, never been in a DL or GL-10.

Did the GL-10 only have vinyl-trimmed seats or was there an upgrade in seat material? What about headliner material? My GL has the perforated leatherette, don't imagine there is an upgrade from that but what's the material on a DL (stock) headliner?

Yes - headliners and upholstery are nicer in the GL-10's. Usually plush material like a Legacy. Even the sun visors are covered in padding and fabric.

Insturment's do change - the DL's have no tach, no oil pressure, etc. GL's have all the gauges. GL-10's typically have all digital gauges and a trip computer.

GD

Yes - headliners and upholstery are nicer in the GL-10's. Usually plush material like a Legacy. Even the sun visors are covered in padding and fabric.

The GL has the padded plush material on the visors. What is the headliner material like in the GL-10? The same plush material as the visors?

I prefer the perforated leatherette. More of a "racy" look. But in the GL just the headliner has that. Seats in it would ne nice.

Insturment's do change - the DL's have no tach, no oil pressure, etc. GL's have all the gauges. GL-10's typically have all digital gauges and a trip computer.

GD

That's the probably the big difference right there - the instruments. Personally, I don't like digital gauges. They remind of those cheesy LED & LCD watches from the '70s. Man, those were ugly.

Yes - the GL-10 headliner's are like the visor's in your's. DL's even had vinyl on the visors - there's a lot of differences when talking about interior trim. Almost no two cars were alike it seems.

That's the probably the big difference right there - the instruments. Personally, I don't like digital gauges. They remind of those cheesy LED & LCD watches from the '70s. Man, those were ugly.

They have their problems - grounding issues can play havoc with the readouts..... Kind of neat in a retro sorta way. Not something you see very often. The later one's in the XT's and such were pretty cool in a "Tron" kinda way.

GD

I'm thinking my car got rebadged. It doesn't have digital anything, and it has manual everything. FWD, non turbo, with some defiantly non luxurious seats. My title says GL-10, my car says gl-10 (i think), but i ran the VIN trying to get insurance, and it came up a DL. dude. weak sauce. :mad:

I would check the vin on your title with the vin on your car.

I bought a EA81 wagon years ago that had the plates switched on it.

Very confusing when it was time to transfer the title(had to do a title search).

I'm thinking my car got rebadged. It doesn't have digital anything, and it has manual everything. FWD, non turbo, with some defiantly non luxurious seats. My title says GL-10, my car says gl-10 (i think), but i ran the VIN trying to get insurance, and it came up a DL. dude. weak sauce. :mad:

Not good.