Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How Hard Is It to Replace a Headliner? (86 GL wagon)

I've never seen a headliner off a car but I'm guessing that the fabric is attached to some kind of board?

I ordered a kit from JC Whitney that supposedly is custom-manufactured for my year & model but I have no idea what the steps are for replacing headliners. The fabric does look like the original. Some #!&*%$@# broke into my car a few years back, from the cargo area, it appears and it look likes a screwdriver or prybar was use to punch holes in the fabiric and probably into the backerboard. I imagine he was having a meth-deprivation crisis. All that damage to the interior (it could have been worse, much worse) and nothing in my car worth stealing to feed a habit. Took my spare dog leash out of the glove compartment, fer cryin' out loud.

Mind you, I won't be doing this myself but I'd like to be educated beforehand as to what is supposed to happen, in what steps.

Should any auto upholstery place worth the name be able to do a good job on this?

Edited by baccaruda
adding model info

Is it a wagon? They are the easiest to do. Pull the trim off the side from front to back. I believe there are clips or plugs that hold it up on the edges. The seatbelts (top) need to be removed in order to get the trim off. The visors and dome light need to be removed. The panel can be slid out the back gate.

Is it a wagon? They are the easiest to do. Pull the trim off the side from front to back. I believe there are clips or plugs that hold it up on the edges. The seatbelts (top) need to be removed in order to get the trim off. The visors and dome light need to be removed. The panel can be slid out the back gate.

Yes, a wagon. Glad to hear it's the easiest. I was thinking it would be - all that room to maneuver.

Rats, I got an email from JC Whitney today saying that my order has been cancelled. Apparently the manufacturer can't make or doesn't stock the correct size & shape of backerboard for my year & model.

Back to square one. I can use my old backerboard, just have to get that same material.

Anyway, very glad I have a wagon.

will probably run you in the 80-100 dollar range to have a upholstery shop do it just a warning lol. Ive had headliners done before cause i didnt feel like messing with it. Also that price is if you bring them the headliner board and they dont have to take it out or put it in themselves.

I emailed JC Whitney back yesterday and asked if I could still get the material from them. Got a response today that they don't have that either. Then why in the _______ does their web site show that the material & backerboard for my car is available!?! False advertising? Poor web site maintenence?

Back to square 1.

I don't mind paying an upholstery shop $100 or so to do the job. I do have to have some carpeting work for the car that needs doing as well. The carpet fabric in the cargo area is toast - color all sunbleached. Looks ratty.

I have NEVER in 36 years heard anything nice about JC Whitney, and definitely have heard LOTS of BAD about them, including your order, which sounds the norm of them.

I am sure others have bought and received, but I would make a bet the product was inferior and didnt last as advertised by them.

What about looking in the junkyards for a good headliner for your car. If you find one, then removing yours first is the way to go. You will find all the hidden clips, bolts, etc holding it in, and by the time you go to remove the junkyard one, you will be an expert.

Well, I lived & learned about JC Whitney. I searched all over the Internet for matching fabric and found 2 places that have it, JC being one, and they don't actually have it. I'll say this for them - at the same time they were sending me the order cancellation notice they were also refunding the money to my credit card account.

Junkyards/auto salvage yards would not be a good venue for me (me personally, I mean). I'd have to drive about an hour just to find one that even had a Sube of my year. Then it would have to be the right color. Then it would have to be one that hadn't been smoked in. I couldn't handle any fabric that has a exhaled nicotine odor to it.

I'd rather let my fingers do the walking on the Internet.

Depending on how picky you are, there should be lots of options for gray headliners. They will come in either vinyl or cloth, and in a few different shades. If you hit a big enough junkyard, you should be able to find a good one in some shade of gray... removing it from the wagon will teach you how to remove yours; re-installation should be obvious after that... good luck!

Depending on how picky you are, there should be lots of options for gray headliners. They will come in either vinyl or cloth, and in a few different shades. If you hit a big enough junkyard, you should be able to find a good one in some shade of gray... removing it from the wagon will teach you how to remove yours; re-installation should be obvious after that... good luck!

Doing any of that is not an option for me. I'm a senior cictizen lady with no skills for working on cars.

In that case, seems an upholstery shop is your only option. Find one, pick out whatever color you want and have them do it. Few years ago I removed the headliner in my XT6 and had a shop recover it. Thinking it came to $50 for the material and labor. Expect to pay a bunch more if you have to pay the shop to remove and reinstall the headliner.

In that case, seems an upholstery shop is your only option. Find one, pick out whatever color you want and have them do it. Few years ago I removed the headliner in my XT6 and had a shop recover it. Thinking it came to $50 for the material and labor. Expect to pay a bunch more if you have to pay the shop to remove and reinstall the headliner.

I might not have to take it to a shop, just buy the material myself, IF I can find it. Apparently my contractor who does all my remodeling projects is experienced in re-upholstering cars as well. I haven't found anything he can't do yet. LOL

Recovering the headliner is easy. Just glue. stick and trim. The only real problem is the headliner needs removed from the car to do the work. Not the end of the world but all the interior side trim needs pulled to drop the headliner. I bet your buddy can do it.

Finding the exact material can be a problem so why bother. Go to any upholstery shop and it will have rolls and rolls of headliner material that are of a higher quality than the stock stuff.

Edited by john in KY

Finding the exact material can be a problem so why bother. Go to any upholstery shop and it will have rolls and rolls of headliner material that are of a higher quality than the stock stuff.

Will they have the light gray perforated leatherette?