Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22t in the mudwagon?

logang1k

How much are ej22t's going for now days? I have a loyale that I'm converting into a mud only offroad vehicle and I was thinking that since the mud likes horsepower that might be the motor for me if I can keep it cool. That might be a problem since I am mounting the radiator inside the cargo area to keep the rad from getting damaged and clogged with mud. I would need an awic because an air to air intercooler depending on the location would just get clogged up unless I ran an intercooler washer to flow water over it during a run to keep the intercooler clear.

My clutch and tranny might not even be up to the task because I have planned on running my ea82 dual range tranny.

list of current mods:

6 lug hubs from BOSS

6 lug 14" steel Nissan truck wheels

7-14 Carlisle v groove tractor tires (27.2" tires)

rearend welded

homemade 3" pvc snorkle

front fenders removed for clearance

no lift yet, but I am hoping to get a BOSS 6" lift soon

interior completely stripped except front seats, shifter, steering wheel, pedals, instrument cluster and wiring

plan on:

using a roll on bedliner on the floors to keep the floor from rusting

moving the rad to the rear with electric fans.

moving the battery to the rear because the battery box is rusted thru, I can see the battery from the fender well.

run the exhaust out of the hood

relocate all of the vents for the tranny and rearend

swapping in the dual range 5mt and new clutch that I have laying around

using some old conveyor belt as a way to keep the underneath of the car more streamline to keep the suspension and steering parts from causing drag in the mud

an ej swap. Hopefully an ej22t but probably an ej22 or ej25

In my limited experience with bed liner, the hurculiner roll on product is

decent, if you prep well. But that is just like any thing else, prep will make

or break you. Three beds done 7, 5, and 2 years ago, still in good shape.

They did fade a bit though. The other product that I used, I cant remeber

the name. I purchase it at westco auto body supply near my place. It is a

little more expensive but comes with a spray gun and works perfectly. Ive

used it on the outside of trucks, on wooden beds(which are way worse to

spray and have last, due to the expansion and contraction of the wood),

inside cabs too. I will try to find out what the product was called. It is

great stuff.

Mike

while the idea of an EJ22T in a wheeler sounds fun.It will probally be too much engine for what you need.

When you say offroad/mud only rig in my mind im pictureing driving through the woods,through the local mud holes,etc.

Unless you are refering to straight up mud drag/mud bog type events an NA EJ22 should serve your needs great.Think of it this way.The EJ22 is close to 2X the power of the stock engine.You've lightened the car up a bit by stripping the interior and what not.Not to mention NA EJ22's are a dime a dozen in junkyards.To date I have not seen ONE EJ22T in a junkyard.Or on the road for that matter.

I converted an 87 GL wagon to EJ22.It had 205/60/15 snow tires on it,full interior,etc. it had no problems what so ever incinerating the tires in FWD.I could be driving down the road at 30 MPH in 3rd gear and punch the gas and BOTH tires would burn out.On dry pavement.

Why not convert to EJ22 and see if you like the power.If you feel that you still need more power, then swap in the 2.2T.

you are probably right, this thing is a light weight. I am always looking for ways to make it lighter. I'm on a diet as well, hoping to lose a bit of weight before the 3rd of july when we have our annual mud bog on our farm. I think the sound of an open dp turbo would sound nice in the mud but it is overkill. But I am the king of overkill. My wrx is a crazy motor build with a vf-48 turbo (ran out of money)

wrx stats:

Suspension mods:

STi pink wagon springs

Ipd front and rear swaybars

Ipd rear endlinks

Noltec front endlinks

Cusco rear strut tower brace

Whiteline subframe lock bolts

TiC Giuyngmyo Fender Cowl Braces

Anti lift kit

Paranoid fabrications 5 piece subframe and chassis brace kit.

Driveline:

Kartboy shifter

Kartboy knob

Kartboy f&r shifter bushings

TiC shifter linkage update

TiC 5MT Lever Pivot Bushings

Kartboy Rear Subframe Outrigger Bushings - RACE

TiC Subaru Rear Diff Mount Bushings - RACE

TiC Tranny Crossmember Bushings

Cusco engine and tranny mounts

ACT SB3-HDMM Clutch and pressure plate

ixizSclutch

Braking:

Hawk front pads

Motul 5.1 fluid

engine mods:

2005 wrx wagon with a 2.5l stage 2 raw/axis motor (forged pistons with piston coating) and balanced rotating assembly

crucial Ported and polished heads

supertech valves +1mm

supertech springs

brian crower 272/272 cams

P&P&C vf-48

APS inlet

aps dual vent bov

custom built header

Grimmspeed uppipe/38mm tial ewg

crucial dp

crucial catless midpipe

erz catback

ssac fmic crucial coated with thermal dispersant coating

gimmick crank pulley

cobb sf intake

spec-c tgv deletes

walboro fp

750cc dw injectors

gmbcs

Coolingmist varicool trunk mount meth injection kit with 50/50 meth/water

Accessport v2

Ixizaosep

Cosmetic:

Scoop delete

Enkei RP02 17x7.5 wheels

Plastic dipped dash pieces

Blacked out hvac controls

Cobb battery tie down

Paranoid fabrications grounding kit and grounding update.

Pink “I” badge.

Weight savings

Spare tire and jack delete mod

45 pounds off of the driver

Stereo and gauges:

Mad dad clarity v2 rx egt, boost, oil pressure, water temp

Innovate DB-1 wideband

Arc audio 2100 amp

CDT 6.5” components

Cheap rump roast old pioneer mp3 player

Cheap rump roast pioneer rear 5.25” speakers

Not installed yet

Goodridge SS brake lines

Hawk f&R pads

4 pot 06-07 front brakes

h6 rear brake upgrade.

i have a similar question. i can get an entire legacy with a ej22t for 500 bucks thats been wrecked and i wanna put it in my 90 loyale. i was planning on just n/a but i can get the entire car with running engine for 500. i want to hook it up to a dual range tranny. is it doable to have a clutch on the ea tranny that will hold up to a bone stock 2.2t? i need to figure this out soon because the car isnt going to sit there long. i know i need the conversion kit and im gonna get it from sjr but what else am i going to need that i cant get off the totalled legacy. i need a new engine anyway and the only mods i currently have is a 3" lift. i know this is a newb thing to ask but ill keep doing research on here. any advise from someone who has dont a ej22t in a ea82 car thanks

you are probably right, this thing is a light weight. I am always looking for ways to make it lighter. I'm on a diet as well, hoping to lose a bit of weight before the 3rd of july when we have our annual mud bog on our farm. I think the sound of an open dp turbo would sound nice in the mud but it is overkill. But I am the king of overkill. My wrx is a crazy motor build with a vf-48 turbo (ran out of money)

You obviously know what you are doing.....go for it.

i have a similar question. i can get an entire legacy with a ej22t for 500 bucks thats been wrecked and i wanna put it in my 90 loyale. i was planning on just n/a but i can get the entire car with running engine for 500. i want to hook it up to a dual range tranny. is it doable to have a clutch on the ea tranny that will hold up to a bone stock 2.2t? i need to figure this out soon because the car isnt going to sit there long. i know i need the conversion kit and im gonna get it from sjr but what else am i going to need that i cant get off the totalled legacy. i need a new engine anyway and the only mods i currently have is a 3" lift. i know this is a newb thing to ask but ill keep doing research on here. any advise from someone who has dont a ej22t in a ea82 car thanks

Yes, its all possible.

Read my swap.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=110912

You will need a EA82 turbo x-member also.

Edited by Turbone

i guess i'll let the decision be made by what I can find. I don't think I wanna pay to have a motor shipped and I doubt a junkyard is gonna want to take the time to give me a motor with all of the accessories and wires and ecu that I would need to make the swap work.