Ultimate Subaru Message Board

im clutching confused

Why is it that most auto parts chains seem to think that a 200 mm clutch with 7/8" 21 splines will fit ALL subarus from 79-94?

I thought the 200 mm clutch with 7/8X21 spline only fit 79-83 4wd subarus,with FWD going a little longer.After that I thought it was a 225 mm clutch with 7/8x21 spline for 4 speeds, and 225 with 1"x24 spline for 5 speeds.

other than ordering a disk for an XT6 which is expensive any one have any other ideas?

problem is I was trying to order from rockauto.

they only listed the 200 mm clutch.

only way to get the 225 1X24T was to order one for an XT6

oddly enough autozone has the correct disk for less than what everyone else is charging for the 200 mm disk...

FWIW I am still running a 200 mm disc in my EJ'd 84 GL. 225mm Plate and flywheel, just the tiny disc. (installed as temporary fix/experiment)

I've been wheeling several times.

The parts stores do indeed have their heads up there arses, but it's worth noting they are technically right. The 200mm disc will work.........:rolleyes:

Edited by Gloyale

Yeah.... because both the EA81 and EA82 were 1800 cc's, and made for the same years (but in different body styles, both called GL's, though), most parts stores can't tell them apart. I tell them the year and EA81 or EA82 and they look at me like an alien just popped out of my forehead. I usually order on line and look at the actual size of the clutch... not what it says it's for. Or order from the subaru dealer, but those are expensivo....

The parts stores do indeed have their heads up there arses, but it's worth noting they arte technically right. The 200mm disc will work.........:rolleyes:

Honestly?

"Hey, give me a clutch for a 30yo semi-obscure Japanese vehicle"

You can't say they've got their heads up their asses just because they don't know about YOUR particular car. It's YOUR car. If you're at a parts store YOU obviously want to fix it, otherwise you'd be at a mechanics by now, so it's up to you to know. They're not mechanics FFS. Coming from working for one up until last year, having to learn from scratch about a whole HEAP of cars while you've got some arrogant prick on the other side of the counter is not an easy task. Ease up.

Honestly?

"Hey, give me a clutch for a 30yo semi-obscure Japanese vehicle"

You can't say they've got their heads up their asses just because they don't know about YOUR particular car. It's YOUR car. If you're at a parts store YOU obviously want to fix it, otherwise you'd be at a mechanics by now, so it's up to you to know. They're not mechanics FFS. Coming from working for one up until last year, having to learn from scratch about a whole HEAP of cars while you've got some arrogant prick on the other side of the counter is not an easy task. Ease up.

Well stated.

If one in three people are idiots and your two friends are OK guess what? Yep, your the third person!

Bingo! Lots easier to match something up if you have the original part with you :)

Yeah, except around here they don't have the stuff for old subarus in stock, so there is nothing to compare to.

And the reason I say their heads are up there rump roast is that the parts listings are wrong.

I know that the people working there can't be expected to be experts on Subarus.

But I CAN expect that the NATIONAL CHAIN PARTS STORES have correct listings for the stuff they sell and VERY OFTEN THEY DON'T.

I did not mean it personally just as a general statement. C'mon? We all know that if we want the right part WE have to know what we need cause the parts stores don't care about us.

Oh, and uh.....no offense.........., but it also seems to me I've been shopping for subaru parts since you were still reading the first Harry Potter book......so I might know a thing or two about ordering Subaru parts.

Edited by Gloyale

Oh, and uh.....no offense.........., but it also seems to me I've been shopping for subaru parts since you were still reading the first Harry Potter book......so I might know a thing or two about ordering Subaru parts.

Really? Up to this point you were just whining. Now, your just being a wongleflute! Back off and rethink your approach!

More on-topic, but I *think* the legacy disc's are basically the same as the 5 speed disc's so you could probably just order a disc for a 90 to 94 Legacy AWD - those are definitely 225mm and most parts sources should have the right info for those. Oh.... wait you need a 4 speed disc.... nevermind.

Also - have you tried looking at a later '80's GL hatch part listing?

I find with rockauto.com that there are often differences where you wouldn't expect any. Like the listing for '84 will have parts that the listing for '83 does not even though you are looking at the exact same car - same with late 80's GL's and early 90's Loyales. Sometimes it just takes a bit more searching and a good knowledge of interchangeability between years and models.

GD

Sometimes the computers are just wrong too. Junk in is junk out with

computers. For instance I work for Autozone when Im not at BNSF. Our

computers claim that all subarus from 1980 to 1994 can use 10-30, 10-40,

and 10-50 oil. Who ever converted the good old parts/service books into

computers made a little mistake and at least at my store it is fixed. I have

found that some stores are worse than others for getting the wrong part.

Sometimes the syst. is wrong and sometimes the clerk picks the wrong part.

And then sometimes the vendor just doesnt offer the parts we need to the

store we are standing in. Just my experiences.

Take care guys

Mike

I've noticed that the parts stores I frequent the most and that are the most reliable with getting the correct parts are the ones that have the actual books as well as the computer. The one I frequent the most (Discount Import Parts in OR), has a computer system that allows them to lookup parts through at least 3 wholesaler's and then they have a ton of old parts books at the counter which they have refered to for me on more than one occasion.

It also helps that I know what I'm looking at so when they hand me the wrong part - 9 times out of 10 I hand it right back and ask for a redo.

GD

good info too late. i ordered a clutch from partsgeek.com and they sent me a 200mm disk.. ************!! now my tranny is sittin on a bench doin jack************.

im goin to napa in the morning to see if they have what i need. now that i know i need a 225mm disk.... ill never be left waiting again...

**** that sucks.

i need to hit the books:rolleyes:

speaking of

i got my G.I. Bill im goin to college to get some papers that say im a mechanic (goin to olympic college for mechanics) you know the subaru will be in the shop 24/7:grin:

other than that what is the absolute best 225 disk that will fit the 5speed d/r?

Edited by Qman

other than that what is the absolute best 225 disk that will fit the 5speed d/r?

LEgacy, Impreza, WRX......If you have an EA 5spd any of the EJ 5spd discs will work.

You are sitll stuck usiing a GL or at best an XT6 pressure plate.

*tip* I had my machinist shorten the step between the PP mounting and the friction surface. an extra ".005-007 Helps produce just a bit more "bite"

good info too late. i ordered a clutch from partsgeek.com and they sent me a 200mm disk.. ************!! now my tranny is sittin on a bench doin jack************.

im goin to napa in the morning to see if they have what i need. now that i know i need a 225mm disk.... ill never be left waiting again...

$hit that sucks.

i need to hit the books:rolleyes:

speaking of

i got my G.I. Bill im goin to college to get some papers that say im a mechanic (goin to olympic college for mechanics) you know the subaru will be in the shop 24/7:grin:

The best holding PP for the 5 sp D/R is from an XT6. Unless you redrill an EJ flywheel and use a pull type clutch from a legacy.

EA flywheels have a two step flywheel. The mounting surface for the pressure plate and the second step where the disc rides. EA81 and 82's have different depths. Important to have the right dimension when resurfacing the flywheel.

Unless you use an EJ clutch kit. Would really be a waste of time unless you used the EJ stuff.

To use an EJ setup you would have to machine a 13mm spacer to move the EJ flywheel closer to the transmission. It's the inverse of using a redrilled EA flywheel on the EJ engine.

But that does bring up an interesting option for running the EJ flywheel and clutch with the EJ engine and adaptor plate for an EA82 5 speed D/R. You could, in addition to the bell-housing adaptor, space out an EJ flywheel by aquireing a second flywheel, torching out the center, and turning it to proper dimention on a lathe. Get some longer bolts to mount through the flywheel and spacer and presto - EJ to EA flywheel. No redrilling required. You could even put some 1" welds around the perimeter to join the spacer to the flywheel in a more permanent way.

GD