Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High performance crossover pipe

WJM

I emailed Techworks....this is what transpired....

Hi Will,

Sorry it took this long to get back to you. We had not had an

opportunity to test the system you saw until recently .....blown clutch

. (Faster than a WRX now!)We also were not sure whether we were going to

pursue this product or not. We will most likely sell about 10 of these

systems if there is a group buy or something similar. Price will be

about 379.00 $US.

Thanks

Tom Penner

Tech Works Engineering Inc.

Making Technology Affordable.

http://www.techworkseng.com

Sales@techworkseng.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: January 20, 2004 10:21 PM

To: techinfo@techworkseng.com

Subject: EA82T, a question.

Hello Tech Works,

I ahve been told, that you guys have possibly made an ultra high

performance

crossover/up pipe, or header/up pipe for the EA82 turbo engine? It came

on

the Leone/RX, XT turbo cars from 1985 to 1993...is that true? I am

currently

searching for one....I am in serious need of information and pricing!

Thanks!

WJM

So, do we have any interest? i know this price is...up there...even I dont have that to spare at this moment...but...theres the info.

Mt understanding is that its 379 EACH...i will email again and make sure. I highly doubt that it will be 37 each....

I was told that this company may have made some in the past....that is why i inqured them. I imagine that a gain in the neighborhood of 10-20 hp and TQ would be gained from this peice....and possibly 30+ is complemented with a complete turbo-back (aka proper downpipe, midpipe and miffler combo).

If only i had pipe and a welder...I would be making some.

Hey Will did you ever give a thought to

2" threaded gas pipe. Els and 45 deg, flanges and nipples.

Good heat retention, smooth the insides at the thread

junctions with JB weld.

Only pipe you would have to have made is the "Y" at the turbo

It's all at your nieghborhood True Value

Yes yes....me knows these things.

Me too lazy to do such things....besides, I DO know how to weld and make these things. The thing is...I DONT ahve the $ to get a MIG welder. I am on a VERY tight budget now,as I am moving out into a place of my own. Hince the RX project is on hold...

"Faster than a WRX now" Man that cracks me up. If a 379 dollar pipe can make an EA82T "faster than a WRX" than I will be 1st in line. Bwuahahahahahaha

First of all, you are not going to make a comparable performing manifold out of weld els and JB weld. This header is made of rather tight inside mandrel bent 304 stainless tubing, has a merged collector and is entirely tig welded.

Secondly, We have two "old school" customers that consistently BEAT WRX turbos in the quarter mile by 2 to 3 tenth of a second. Yes, I have witnessed both the runs and the timeslips. My conclusion that our wagon was quicker than a WRX was based on several drag race sessions against these "said" customers. Our old beater consistently pulled both customers cars by six to ten car lengths up to about 100mph.

Finally, you may want to take note of ALL the mods done to this car and notice that NOWhere did I claim that the header alone made the car quicker than a WRX. Here is a partial list:

TWE Stainless steel header with merged collector

Top mounted intercooler (Saab 9-3)

TWE Modded intake with stainless mandrel bent intake.

TWE RS 2.5 fiberglass replica hood scoop.

TWE 2.5" mandrel bent down pipe with high flow cat (Random Tech) and TWE 2.5" Stainless Cat back with HO stainless muffler.

Auxillary injector ....pressure controlled, pulse width modulated. TWE fabricated.

Garret GT17 dual ceramic ball bearing housing Turbo running 15~16 pounds of boost.

Manual 5 speed conversion with 3.90 diffs. LSD rear

Tires Bridgestone Blizzaks

Hope this straightens out some of the misconceptions.

Tom Penner

Originally posted by techworkseng

Here is a partial list:

TWE Stainless steel header with merged collector

Top mounted intercooler (Saab 9-3)

TWE Modded intake with stainless mandrel bent intake.

TWE RS 2.5 fiberglass replica hood scoop.

TWE 2.5" mandrel bent down pipe with high flow cat (Random Tech) and TWE 2.5" Stainless Cat back with HO stainless muffler.

Auxillary injector ....pressure controlled, pulse width modulated. TWE fabricated.

Garret GT17 dual ceramic ball bearing housing Turbo running 15~16 pounds of boost.

Manual 5 speed conversion with 3.90 diffs. LSD rear

Tires Bridgestone Blizzaks

Tom Penner

This is great stuff! :D I'm wondering why people aren't knocking down your door for these mods. I'd specifically want the intake, steel header, down pipe, high flow cat, cat back...I mean the works. I don't even own a 1.8ltr turbo (hope to someday).

I'd love to see the 1/4 mile trap speed of that car. Tom....nice work.

I agree with Kevin on this one...I didn't even realize TWE made EA82T parts!!! :eek:

...and $379 is not bad at ALL for a stainless header/up-pipe combo...especially for a low production run like this. I paid like $299 for the Borla Gen4 headers (on my 2.5RS) and that was definitely not a low production run (and they used to be more like $400-500 when they first came out). Plus, I've heard nothing but good things about TWE regarding their Impreza parts.

I'd definitely be in on the header/uppipe group buy and possibly even the downpipe, too, if there were a group buy offered for that!

TWE:

Do you sell those Fiberglass scoops you mentioned in your mod list!? If it were priced well, I would much rather have a 2.5RS/WRX replica scoop (albeit smaller to fit the raised center ridge on these cars) than the scoop I am currently planning to use.

Originally posted by NoahDL88

Why are you using snow tires on a drag strip, wouldn't all the extra weight of the tires, plus the lack of good grip affect the time?

Blizzaks have more grip than any other street tire on any kind of pavement..

slicks have more grip on dry pavement than blizzaks, but until you've driven blizzaks you just spin and slide :D

if i had the extra $$ to toss your way i'd take one of them crossover pipes.. already have a custom downpipe comin to me :D

Hey Techworks,

I generally understand the concept and advantage of equal length headers over un-equal length but what kind of real numbers would we expect? When I say unequal lenth, I mean a redesigned, better flowing header where the two primaries merge rather than one teeing into the other.

Perhaps a usefull comparison would be like the Borla VS. TWE equal lenth on an Impreza

have you guys done any tests like this?

"Blizzaks have more grip than any other street tire on any kind of pavement.."

Thanks for the back up on the Blizzaks, but the real reason they are on the car is that we winter autocross the car in icy conditions usually. We do not drag race this car at all. Hard launches on pavement have already caused the CV joints and drive axles to start to go. I have been lucky that this last tranny has held together. Probably have to cryo the next one if this one blows (and it will.....).

"I didn't even realize TWE made EA82T parts!!!"

Regarding these parts......our marketing guy warned me about "opening a can of worms" by posting any of this stuff. I can hardly believe the response we have recieved for some of this old school stuff! Because of the materials we use and the method of construction, we didn't feel that these bits would be affordable for this demographic. Let's face it , almost every component on our "EA81 Rust Bucket" is worth more than the car itself. However.........once we clear up all of our race teams engine programs, we will look at producing a short run of these cross overs and down pipes if the interest is still there (Spring time). Down pipes will be about $165 US depending on flanges. I have two more of the GT17 turbos (both with less than 10,000 miles on them that I could let go for $320 or so.

Please send requests or questions by email so our sales/marketing staff don't kill me, and please respect that this is a very busy time for us, so email response may be slow.

I may be overstepping my bounds in this forum as I am sure there are some rigid "vendor" rules. It was not my intent to promote TWE or its products here. We are enthusiasts first and foremost.

Hey mods, i dont see any problems with any boundries....do ya'll?

I really appreciate that you have posted here!

I would certinly be interested in a crossover and downpipe...for the VF7, the stock RHB5 that came on the EA82 Turbos...since i wont be going to a TD04 now.

I'll be sure and send an Email come spring time.