Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dumbest question of all time here.

i have an ej22 as well. it takes something like 4.6 quarts. just pour in 4 quarts and then slowly fill with the last quart till you get where you need to be.

basicaly takes like 4 quarts for the engine and some extra for the filter and all that.

i have an ej22 as well. it takes something like 4.6 quarts. just pour in 4 quarts and then slowly fill with the last quart till you get where you need to be.

basicaly takes like 4 quarts for the engine and some extra for the filter and all that.

thanks!!!

I have this weird issue where if I pour in a certain amount, what seems to me would be MORE than enough, it never shows up on the dipstick. Then, if I add a little more, it all of a sudden is TOO full. So I just want to put in the precise amount and be done with it. I know the oil is in there and working. Just doesn't want to show.

thanks!!!

I have this weird issue where if I pour in a certain amount, what seems to me would be MORE than enough, it never shows up on the dipstick. Then, if I add a little more, it all of a sudden is TOO full. So I just want to put in the precise amount and be done with it. I know the oil is in there and working. Just doesn't want to show.

I seem to remember that the 2.2 motor takes 4.2 quarts. I experienced the same problem, when I had a 2.2 motor. Like someone said, add 4 quarts, and a bit more. Don't worry about being just slightly above full on the dip stick. Replacing oil is not rocket science. It does not need to be super precise. A little extra won't cause problems. Just don't go over board and dump in 5 quarts. That would be way too much.

I seem to remember that the 2.2 motor takes 4.2 quarts. I experienced the same problem, when I had a 2.2 motor. Like someone said, add 4 quarts, and a bit more. Don't worry about being just slightly above full on the dip stick. Replacing oil is not rocket science. It does not need to be super precise. A little extra won't cause problems. Just don't go over board and dump in 5 quarts. That would be way too much.

When you say you experienced the same problem, do you mean with not being able to see the amount of oil on your dipstick?

I fill the oil filter before screwing it on then pour 4 full quarts into the fill tube. After that I start the engine and let it idle for 20 or 30 seconds to circulate the oil, shut it off and let it drain down into the crankcase for a half-hour, then check the dipstick and top up as necessary.

Usually get pretty accurate readings that way.

EJ22 dipstick is weird. One side looks like too much oil and the other side seems correct or the other way around.

From a 30 year experienced mechanic (only on Subaru), the correct way to read the dipstick:

Notice that the dipstick has a hole at the upper end of the fill reading; and a notch in the side of the dipstick about 1/2" higher. If you've just pulled in to a level spot and waited about 5 minutes to check the oil level it should be up to the hole. Let the car sit overnight and the oil level should reach up to the notch when you check it again.

I fill the filter then screw it on, then pour in 4 full quarts plus what would make up a half quart from the first bottle that I opened to fill the filter with. If that makes sense. It then reads a hair above full, but mine leaks so I plan on it getting lower. Although the leaks have subsided quite a bit as I slowly replace this seal or that.

ok, enough "guess-timating" :rolleyes:

this is directly from my 1990 Legacy Owners Manual (2.2 N/A)

OIL Capacity = 4.8 US Quarts (4.5 Liters, 4.0 Imp qt)

So there ya go.

aha , i was right, 4 qts. 12 ozs. i said it in post #10. i was right, i should be a super hero. where do i sign up. :lol:

(now all i have t do is go back and edit post #10.)

Edited by johnceggleston