Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this a good price for a 99 Outback

I am going to look at a 1999 Outback later this week. The car is said to have 90K and no current overheating/headgasket issues. I figure I will need to put about another 1K into the car for timing belts, brakes, regular maintanence, etc... Is this a pretty good deal? I'm currently looking to replace my 97 Legacy with 210K.

I think you should go ahead and factor in that even though the engine has 90k, the head gaskets probably haven't been done yet. I would bet money that they will end up going very soon.

Does that mean that the headgaskets will definitely go? Timing belts are given.

Just for giggles I did some simple research:

KBB says it's worth about $6660.

Edmunds TMV values it at $4171.

Of course KBB is a "tool of the trade," something for salesmen to wave under a customers nose and say "See!" Whereas Edmunds claims to give True Market Value based on actual sales by area.

Don't know if either of them addresses head gasket issues!!!

Far be it for me to act like an expert, but nevertheless I will try and summarize the head gasket problem.

If your '97 is a 2.5 DOHC and you drove it to 210K without a head gasket failure, then you are one really lucky fellow. If it is a 2.2, then just keep the car and try to get to 300K. The situation is as follows:

The 96-99 DOHC 2.5 engines will almost all fail before 200K because of the head gasket.

The 00-early 92 SOHC 2.5 engines will mostly fail before 200K.

The early02-09 SOHC 2.5 engines will sometimes fail before 200K. The jury is still out on these cars. I own one, by the way. The above is focusing on the Legacy. The Forester and Impreza are a little different, but the situation is very similar. See Wiki for motors in different models.

PS. I have the VIN number in 02 where they switched over to the "new and improved" gasket if anyone is interested.

Sorry bout that - $7k

I bought a 00 OBW for $6250 2.5 years ago with 97K miles. Everything works. Head gaskets had already been done. Now at 125K with nothing but gas/oil.

I would say $7K for a 99 is high. Like the others said, maybe $4K, + if in really good shape and everything works.

Edited by wirelessenabled

If your '97 is a 2.5 DOHC and you drove it to 210K without a head gasket failure, then you are one really lucky fellow. If it is a 2.2, then just keep the car and try to get to 300K.

I currently have what I believe is an interference 2.2 on my Legacy. I bought it 3 years ago at 119K and it's currently at 210K. I've had the timing belt done at 120 and 180 as I didn't want to have that go at the wrong time. I've had all the rotors, brakes and bearings done at least once, as well as replaced the alternator, radiator, knock, TPS as well as both front axels.

If I'm going to keep the car, I will have to put new shocks and struts soon, brakes and rotors again, new tires and possibly 02 sensor or Cat, since I get an occasional P420.

Maybe I just want something newer, but still a Subaru. I'll see within the next few months where I want to put my money, I guess.

Im in the same boat as 360: I build and sell outbacks rust free with fresh 2.2s for around $4,000. $7,000 for a pre-headgasket failure outback is crazo. Plus 99 is a tricky year. I have one and now realize that pre 99 is better. The 99 is a one year only for several parts so when stuff breaks the used pool of parts is pretty small. I am going to switch my 99's wiring/ecu to a 97. 97-98 are my favorite years. with 98 you can get the dual moon roof limited...this one is the crown jewel....

I agree on the price being high. I bought the same car (99 Outback 91,000 miles) for $2200 a year ago. I think that was a deal, but $7000 is crazy!

Anthony

Agree on price way too high. I bought my 99 OBW in good condition 4 years ago with 148K on the odo for $4,400.

I currently have what I believe is an interference 2.2 on my Legacy. I bought it 3 years ago at 119K and it's currently at 210K. I've had the timing belt done at 120 and 180 as I didn't want to have that go at the wrong time. I've had all the rotors, brakes and bearings done at least once, as well as replaced the alternator, radiator, knock, TPS as well as both front axels.

If I'm going to keep the car, I will have to put new shocks and struts soon, brakes and rotors again, new tires and possibly 02 sensor or Cat, since I get an occasional P420.

Maybe I just want something newer, but still a Subaru. I'll see within the next few months where I want to put my money, I guess.

I think it would be foolish to buy a pre-HG 1999 for anything less than a crazy good deal if you already have a '97 that is running a 2.2 engine. $7,000 + the $1,000 you estimated + anything else that will pop up the first year is a major investment for the same generation car with an unknown history. If you want something newer, I'd invest that almost $10k into a newer generation Sube. (Personally, I like the 97 body style better than the 2000.) Otherwise, invest $3-5,000 in your 97 Legacy and make it a sweeter ride. Wheels, paint, and add an Outback hood and grill and front bumper if you want. The 2.2 is a super little engine.

If you live within driving distance to KY, I'd give you a sick-sweet deal on Outback parts off a 99 OBW project car I have sitting in a field that I have given up on, especially if you pull yourself.

Thanx for the info and offer JT. Unfortunately, I live in Nj and that's quite the ride. I maybe able to pick up a minty 2002 w/65K for about $8K. It's at a dealer and I'm waiting for word on the HG on this car. The car is about as clean as I've ever seen. If he can confirm the HG was replaced, or will deduct the cost of getting it replaced, then I may take it.

I like my 97, but the body is starting to get worn as is the interior. Let's see what happens.

I bought my '99 OBW Limited, very clean with 68,000 for $4200 last fall. Everything worked and still does including the heated seats, mirrors, and wipers. It even had a factory 6 disc CD changer that works very well.

The book did have it at $6500. The guy I bought it off of has an extremely clean 2002 for $5900 right now on his lot. They can be had at reasonable prices. $7k is over the top for a '99.

You said you maybe want something a little bit newer, but the differences between a 97 and a 99 are very minor, with the exception of a less reliable engine in the 99. Why not get a 2000+ model year with slightly more miles for that same $7000 if you are really looking for something newer?