Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats broke on your subaru lately.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put it in gear, set the ebrake, and let the clutch out and look to see what axle nut is spinning. That will be the stripped hub. The rear output is driven off of the front diff. Nearly impossibe to break and drive home in 4hi. I say stripped hub from improper torque also. Seen it more times than you count and people assume. Ithe worst. Maybe broken axle. I had one strip on me.

Spot on advice, thanks for the quick diagnostic method! Now begins the hunt for axel parts...

BRAT= Damn near eaverything is busted, still drives like a banshee with it's tail on fire though.

Xandra= Dead rings, 3 wheel bearings

Blue Wagon= Valves need adjusting, wiring needs reattatchment, needs new wires, needs new plugs, fan issue needs to be sorted out, need to put in a push button start/kill and shampoo the seats and carpeting.

Twitch

Edit: Add to the Blue Wagon a new alt. Good lord 55 amps is just not enough for ANY car. Do your high beams dim everything else in the car?

Edited by Twitch de la Brat
New details

I think when I read this thread it invited a gremlin into my car! Immediately after reading this thread I went out to go to work and my 87 GL would not start. after poking around I think I narrowed it down to the fuel pump. It makes no sound when I turn the key and it used to. I'll replace it this weekend and hope the gremlin moves on fingers crossed!

I think when I read this thread it invited a gremlin into my car! Immediately after reading this thread I went out to go to work and my 87 GL would not start. after poking around I think I narrowed it down to the fuel pump. It makes no sound when I turn the key and it used to. I'll replace it this weekend and hope the gremlin moves on fingers crossed!

I dare not laugh for fear it may move on to me next... oh wait! My car is in a constant state of disrepair! :lol: No worries here!

I fixed some stuff,then I broke some stuff:

all the brake pieces in my LR drum,My rear driveshaft got knocked out of balance that cracked a small section of the mount for the transfer case and broke a weld for my rear diff mount...

wheel,break,fix/upgrade,repeat.......

Edited by Uberoo

That's because Subarus are highly jealous of one another. If I work on one, by the end of the week, I have had my nose under the hood of the other 6 with things that broke the day after working on the first one. :confused:

To keep things on topic, my blue wagon got mad at me just because I test drove an RX-7 for my brother. It's gone back to bogging on initial tip-in when cold.:mad: Should have known when I started it up this morning - it dropped to warm idle immediately instead of running at 2K for the first five minutes of idling.

Edited by subynut
spelling

After fixing my frozen parking brake lever on the caliper, one of my lug nuts wouldn't torque down... Eff. Go to napa, of course they don't have pug nuts.

Fortunately it was one with the removable washer thing on the nut. So I just pulled that off and used a normal subaru nut with that as a washer. Seems like it should hold..

Well, if anyone wants to know my intelligence level this morning, not more than 15 min ago I tore a hole in the sidewall of one of my perfectly good tires.

"I am the smart! S-M-R-T! I mean S-M-A-R-T..."

Stupid fracking curbs.

Corner of Mullan and 41, parking lot of Thomas Hammer.

Turning in and just turned a little wide.

:banghead:

Anybody got a spare 185/80 I could have?

I have no money, will trade work for tire.

Anyway, something new :(

Twitch

That's because Subarus are highly jealous of one another. If I work on one, by the end of the week, I have had my nose under the hood of the other 6 with things that broke the day after working on the first one. :confused:

To keep things on topic, my blue wagon got mad at me just because I test drove an RX-7 for my brother. It's gone back to bogging on initial tip-in when cold.:mad: Should have known when I started it up this morning - it dropped to warm idle immediately instead of running at 2K for the first five minutes of idling.

dont touch the gas

My stock radiator needed to be replaced @ 185k mi. The plastic endtanks deteriorated, causing coolant to spew all over the passenger side of the engine bay. The car would overheat, too (obviously).

You are lucky. In my 93 Loyale the stock plastic radiator did that at about 42K and the warranty ended at 40K. I was so angry at the time. But I went to a radiator shop and they found a real metal replacement that was meant for a legacy I think but fit my Loyale and that one has worked for me ever since (135K now).

When I drove my brother's XT6, the wiper, out of the blue, started working - made 3 passes and returned home. I was nowhere near the wiper switch or the mister switch. :confused:

yeah my xt6 does that from time to time. now that i have it fixed dunno if it'll happen again.