Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pushbutton Start (How To)

I Just put in a pushbutton and figured I would share how I did it! Its a fun way to replace a non-functioning key switch and you kind of feel like your firing up the millennium falcon when you start your soober!

If you look at the diagram I have drawn up you'll see that I used 3 toggles and a momentary button all rated to handle at least 20amps. I cut the wires off of the existing switch, stripped them all back and crimped ring terminals to each wire. two of the switches and the momentary button were then mounted onto the switch board. I used the side panel off of an old computer tower to make my switch board and hooked it all up as follows...

DSC01183.jpg

(B=hot lead. A=accessory. IG=run. S=starter. R=some resistor thingy?)

I used 10ga primary wire for any new wiring that I put in and ring terminals to connect it all together. I used and old strike plate from the kitchen door that I bent and drilled to mount my hidden switch. And... Presto!

DSC01182.jpg

I feel that it's important to note that I did not install the stereo. its on my list of things to fix...

Hope this helps someone:)

nice! I would add that you should use those tamper resistant screws to keep the idiots at bay. like this, available with matching bits at ace hardware

Tamper-Resistant-Screw-5KE94_AS01.jpg

btw, that stereo is one helluva knuckle buster lol! :)

Great idea! I'm going to up-grade as soon I've got a couple extra dollars.

And yeah, every time I put it in first gear it bumps the stereo and changes the input!

Since you obviously have a nighmare stereo install on your hands - I'll throw up my Dual XR4110 install pic again - might help you out. It does everything I need it to do but it probably won't be as powerful as that Pioneer (but it will fit :rolleyes:). Yes - I built the aluminium backing plate behind it and reconfigured the whole console. Worked out really well.

BTW - good job fixing the broken ignition switch. If you decide you need a new ignition switch they are $32 at the dealer. I contemplated what you did as well till I found it was cheaper to just replace it with a new switch and have some code-cut keys that work made for $30 ($20 for the first and $5 for each copy).

new_console4.jpg

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I did a push button start on my GL a while back. It worked great, but I never installed it due to a free key switch... But I had 2 toggles. One to turn the car and acc on, and one to turn on just acc. Then it had a few relays. All power went through relays, not switches. Safer that way. It was fused, and had a relay so while I was pushing the start button it turned off acc just like when you turn the key to start. Cool you installed yours though! My system has just been scrapped for parts :/

Been starting my 86gl w/ hot wires fed from the battery and the starter snaked under the dash for the last 2 yrs.

That's lame and smacks of pure laziness. Pushbuttons are alright if implemented correctly but arcing wires is dangerous and silly unless the bombs fell and I didn't notice?

If you have the internet and running water - this is not ok. :rolleyes:

GD

thanks! I might get me one of those... I was also thinking of moving the deck to the glove box. I don't really use the glove box and I think having the deck locked in there would just make it that much harder to steal...

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, My gauges are in the stereo compartment. Do you know if it's hard to wire it to the glove box?

There are only a couple of wires. If it even needed extending, it would be an easy job. I'd like to put the radio in the glove box, too. I just bought my push button switch for the starter. Can't wait to fire up my newly rebuild ea82 with that switch for the first time.

Isn't the starter switch in the ignition already on a relay? I just had a fun thought: what if you put another switch in the engine compartment for when you're working on it? ahahahahaha.

CIMG3216.JPG

There are only a couple of wires. If it even needed extending, it would be an easy job. I'd like to put the radio in the glove box, too. I just bought my push button switch for the starter. Can't wait to fire up my newly rebuild ea82 with that switch for the first time.

Isn't the starter switch in the ignition already on a relay? I just had a fun thought: what if you put another switch in the engine compartment for when you're working on it? ahahahahaha.

CIMG3216.JPG

I have all the wiring for a starting/kill system from under the hood. Because that would be awesome. I just need to mount the switches and run the wires. I should post up how I made that harness.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, My gauges are in the stereo compartment. Do you know if it's hard to wire it to the glove box?

the glove box isn't very deep so there might be some cutting involved. as far as the actual wiring goes, it's relatively simple all you have to do is grab you sodomy iron and start running some extensions over to your glove box. i have 2 6x9s in carpeted boxes for speakers so all i'll need to move is a couple of power lines but if you want to use the existing speakers in the car you can too...

I didn't even know they made something like this!! I've been using cheapo tape players and the little tape adapter thing. Works great 'cause nobody wants to steal your tape player, but they still break and are getting harder to find. This is perfect.

So How do I start to install the push start?

Must I take out the ignition and find the wires from there?

Thanks

when you take the plastic off of the steering column you will see a round switch with 5 wires soldered to the back of it that is screwed into the back of the ignition key switch. you just unscrew that, cut the wires and rout them to anywhere you want!

• 2 weeks later...

black with white stripe is ground

black with blue is acc

black is run

black with yellow is start

no idea what the 5th wire is for. I didn't do anything with it and it worked fine. I actually have the harness off a legacy, same switch and harness plug. But only has 4 wires. But works just fine. So unless someone tells otherwise.... the 5th wire seems somewhat useless.