Ultimate Subaru Message Board

From what I've heard from the parts guy at my local Subaru dealer, all EJ engines use the same oil filter, so I would assume it would work.

However, I would never buy an "XtraGuard" FRAM filter for my Subaru. I either get the FRAM Tough Guard or the Subaru oil filter. The Subaru supposedly has a specific bypass valve setting for Subaru engines, but it's not too different to the FRAM filters since the current Subaru blue oil filters are made by Honeywell, the same company that owns and makes FRAM oil filters.

:eek: PLEASE do some research on Fram filters and stop using them.

The actual size of the filter doesn't matter much for these engines. A larger filter can, in theory at least, last longer before clogging and causing a drop in oil pressure. Or it can take too long to reach its point of optimal filtering efficiency and cause more harm than good over the long run.

As oil filters catch particulate the "holes" in the filter media fill in and filter out/catch smaller and smaller particulate. But during this time particles large enough to cause wear can still get through the filter and do their worst on your engines bearings and cylinder walls. When using a larger filter, it takes longer for these "large" particles to be filtered out. Of course "large" is a relative term since we're talking about scale of several microns here.

Fram is a low-end product. Go with OEM, WIX, Bosch, or Purolator. All are a step above the Fram stuff. There are too many horror stories about the Fram filters disintegrating and clogging up passages, etc - can ruin an engine easily. The risk is admittedly very low, but why take it when the cost of the OEM filter is only a dollar or two different?

And larger is not better when it comes to oil filters. The RIGHT size is important and Subaru already determined what that should be. Too small is bad and too large is bad to a lesser degree..... Don't re-engineer your engine's lubrication system as you risk uncovering your own flawed logic and lack of engineering degree in the process. :rolleyes:

GD

I cut a bunch of different oil filters in half a few years ago. I wish I had saved them but I will do the study again and put it on my website here soon.

Basically it came down to how many pleats and how much filter media was on the filter, how well it makes contact with the engine block, and whether or not the filter had an anti drain back valve.

The results were a little surprising. The K&N didn't score that high, the OEM filter was about 3rd best looking one if I remember correctly but at that time they had the black filters that were made in Japan. The new OEM blue ones are Honeywell made in Canada and pretty good but not as good as the older black version.

Subaru had a white one for a while that was horrific and causing engine failures but it was short lived and ironically I think it was made by Allied Signal (Fram).

As stated above size isn't even an indicator at all. Its what is inside the filter that counts. The winner back then when price, quality and warranty coverage are considered was absolutely Subaru. I don't care how many attorneys, labels on the box, etc say that an aftermarket is covered just as well as Subaru genuine oil filters when it comes down to it if you torque it properly and it comes apart interally I would sleep a lot better knowing it was a factory filter and that I could tow the car to the dealer and make them cover the engine.

I cut a bunch of different oil filters in half a few years ago. I wish I had saved them but I will do the study again and put it on my website here soon.

Basically it came down to how many pleats and how much filter media was on the filter, how well it makes contact with the engine block, and whether or not the filter had an anti drain back valve.

The results were a little surprising. The K&N didn't score that high, the OEM filter was about 3rd best looking one if I remember correctly but at that time they had the black filters that were made in Japan. The new OEM blue ones are Honeywell made in Canada and pretty good but not as good as the older black version.

Subaru had a white one for a while that was horrific and causing engine failures but it was short lived and ironically I think it was made by Allied Signal (Fram).

As stated above size isn't even an indicator at all. Its what is inside the filter that counts. The winner back then when price, quality and warranty coverage are considered was absolutely Subaru. I don't care how many attorneys, labels on the box, etc say that an aftermarket is covered just as well as Subaru genuine oil filters when it comes down to it if you torque it properly and it comes apart interally I would sleep a lot better knowing it was a factory filter and that I could tow the car to the dealer and make them cover the engine.

I'm pretty sure the white one was made by Purolator. Purolator makes decent filters but from what I remember, the white Subaru Purolator filters had a leaking problem or something.

Size wise the older bigger filter will work on an 05+ as long as it's not a turbo. The larger filter is too close to the exhaust/up/down pipe (whatever is nearby) and causes heat problems. At some point, Subaru went to just the smaller turbo-style filter, but you can still use the larger ones on the NA motors.

Size wise the older bigger filter will work on an 05+ as long as it's not a turbo. The larger filter is too close to the exhaust/up/down pipe (whatever is nearby) and causes heat problems. At some point, Subaru went to just the smaller turbo-style filter, but you can still use the larger ones on the NA motors.

Thanks. It's not a turbo. As for the Fram controversy...I've used them for ten years without a problem. I'm not saying the stories are bogus. Just my experience. I like being able to grip the filter when my hands are covered in grease.

Use the 15208AA031, 15208AA100 or a Purolator PureOne.

The 15208AA100 changes to the 15208AA12A (blue) filter and its JUNK. Made by Honeywell/Fram in CANADA. We've had lots of problems at the dealer with those filter between leaks and them coming apart. SOA will not do anything about it, which is a bunch of BS.

If you can find the 15208AA100 filter, GET IT.

The 15208AA031 fits all the H6 cars, and will fit ALL the EJ engines unless its a 2004~2007 Turbo Forester, 2004~2006 Turbo Baja or a 2006~2007 WRX. The oil cooler and header/crossover pipe design limits space in the area and you need to get a PureOne filter.

DO NOT use the 15208AA12A at all costs.

Here is some info on the Subaru filters Link

Seems most folks preferred the black one (P/N 15208AA100) as mentioned by WJM but it is difficult if not impossible to find.

I've not used this one but he claims they are similar to the original non-Turbo Oil filter http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-oil-filters-for-sale/

This place has some of the 15208AA100 filters but they are spendy http://store.ncrally.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=191_136_148_471&products_id=129&osCsid=b33bd3c5d1

If you really have nothing to do you can read this thread about Subaru Oil filters http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/18231-wisdom-using-oem-oil-filters-only.html

Edited by Mike104

• 2 months later...
Here is some info on the Subaru filters Link

Seems most folks preferred the black one (P/N 15208AA100) as mentioned by WJM but it is difficult if not impossible to find.

I've not used this one but he claims they are similar to the original non-Turbo Oil filter http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-oil-filters-for-sale/

This place has some of the 15208AA100 filters but they are spendy http://store.ncrally.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=191_136_148_471&products_id=129&osCsid=b33bd3c5d1

If you really have nothing to do you can read this thread about Subaru Oil filters http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/18231-wisdom-using-oem-oil-filters-only.html

Just because I have the time on a Thursday night to peruse a thread on Subaru oil filters doesn't mean I have nothing to do!!!

Damn you!:D

all i read was FRAM part of the first sentence, and i skipped right to the post i am saying now,

FRAM is junk. its the worst filter you can buy. It can and might kill your engine. Also I will post, jiffylube, etc will also do the same they use the cheapest crap filters (fram) and hirer undecated underacheivers who will blow your motor up eventually, it has been proven over and over and over again do not use FRAM, do not go to grease monkey, meineke, AAmco, etc.

done with my typing

As long as it's not the orange can of death.

HOWEVER, I heard that the FRAM Tough Guards are actually pretty decent.

I'll still stick to the Subaru OEM blue Honeywell/FRAM oil filters, since they have the Subaru-spec valve.

And seriously, those threads listed SHOULD be read, lots of good information in there.

I had thought SuperTech filters were mostly Champion Labs units. Is that not (or no longer?) the case? Champion Labs makes good product. I don't believe the filtration media is as good as Purolator's PureONE media, but the objects themselves are well-built.

Also, I tried really hard, but I just can't help myself:

Bheinen74, what does "undecated" mean? I even tried Merriam-Webster's dictionary, but they don't know either. :P Just funnin' ya'!