Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy with Auto trans, no reverse

Just had a guy stop here at my place, (he was looking at the house for sale next to me), and asked who is it that owns the Subarus. Me, said I.

Says he recently bought a Legacy at police auction and it has no reverse. Said it does move forward, but he didn't want to drive it all that much in fear of tearing something up.

Told him I'd asks the guru's here, see if I could get some ideas from them. He'll stop back by in a couple days to see what, if anything, is said.

Just had a guy stop here at my place, (he was looking at the house for sale next to me), and asked who is it that owns the Subarus. Me, said I.

Says he recently bought a Legacy at police auction and it has no reverse. Said it does move forward, but he didn't want to drive it all that much in fear of tearing something up.

Told him I'd asks the guru's here, see if I could get some ideas from them. He'll stop back by in a couple days to see what, if anything, is said.

new trans time. reverse was first to go in mine, 165k with no service for 90k miles by me and unknown miles by the previous owner. i got mine at an auction as well.

Trannys are cheap and plentiful, and not hard to swap. Just make sure the diff ratios match. They must have really been having fun with it to smoke reverse!

Haven't priced a Subby trans around these parts, so no idea on that.

Pretty sure I could swap one out for him though.

Guy said the car was a theft recovery. So who knows what all was abused...

Rebuild it with new friction discs, and a new reverse-2nd brake band. INstall new One way "sprauge" clutches.

OR get used trans......that could blow out again.

Those are the choices

Rebuilding a trans is no simple task. I am happy to pull off cylinder heads and to head gaskets, but the thought of opening a trans to play with the clutches scares me. Maybe I'll try to find a dead one and rebuild it, but seriously it's not a simple thing to take on.