Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone have a miracle cleaner for this?

Google "alloy wheel cleaner" (without the quotes).

No cleaner is going to fix the corrosion near the hub and bead area, which is usually due to road salt. The rims could be stripped, wire brushed and/or sanded where needed, and re-clear-coated. Google "wheel clear coat".

However, you might first want to verify that the bead area isn't so corroded that the wheels don't hold air. Since it appears that tires are mounted, I'd suggest inflating, waiting a few days, and rechecking the pressure (at about the same temperature). If leaking, you can mount tires using sealant if the surface isn't too rough/porous, but if bad enough even that won't help, and you'll be constantly refilling the tires.

If the wheels hold air, and you don't care if the wheel finish looks uniform, you could do spot repair of the corroded areas.

seeing as that looks like discoloring in the coating of the wheel, and and if the contaminate has not made it under the coating, i would try some rubbing compound like Meguires fine cut on a mothers buff ball. Use a drill motor and light pressure so you don't remove the coating completely, I have used rubbing compound on coated wheels before with good results, just don't remove too much of the coating! Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to tell for sure from the photo, but it looks as though the clearcoat is actually stained/discolored.

If that is the case, the only thing that will remove the coloring is to strip the clearcoat.

You will want to reapply a clearcoat though, as it makes keeping the wheels clean MUCH easier.