Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator bearing whines a little when cold

i learned recently that an alt will make a whinning noise when it is charging. if the noise ''changes'' with demand, it may be normal.

there is a shop here that will rebuild an alt. for 28$ , i think, plus the parts needed. if you are really concerned, take it ot a rebuilder and have it tested. if they a reputable they will tell you the truth, rather than '' oh yeah, good thing you brought it in. it could go at any second.''

from the labor fee, it does not sound like it is too hard to do. but then lots of things are easy the second time.

you may have to ask around to find some one who rebuilds. most big electric motor shops don't mess with automotive stuff. at least not around here.

there is a shop here that will rebuild an alt. for 28$ , i think, plus the parts needed.

The parts are incredibly expensive, it makes a rebuilt from Subaru lok like a steal.

I wouldnt worry about noises when the car is cold (and the air temp is cold) as long as they go away once the car warms up. Now if it was doing it at 40 degrees or more then I would wonder about it.

How many miles and what year is the car (that should always be given)

It's a 1996 Impreza Brighton with 260k on it. I would say it's not a whine, it's a screeching noise that seems to only do it the first couple minutes after startup. It almost sounds like the noise you get when you spin something too fast and it starts frea'kin out. Does that help?

I drive it to work 30% of the time and it's 90 miles round trip.

Charges fine and is not a "whine" like when an alternator is charging heavily.

There is a local shop in Roanoke,VA that rebuilds, but if you are looking for a cheap fix, you might do well to check with some members for an alt from a car being parted out. The rebuild is not impossible for someone who has never done one, but like with anything, it is much easier if you have someone helping you that's done it before.

Not sure if you are ever near Roanoke, but if you are interested, they do good work, usually 2 day turnaround though. They have done a couple of alternators for me. Usually about half the cost of a rebuilt from Advance.

PM me if you want me to get you their contact info.

WOWZERS!

Alternator, Alternator Impreza List Price : $691.04

Your Price : $580.48 Quantity:

Alternator, Bearings FRONT, Impreza List Price : $23.60

Your Price : $16.99 Quantity:

Alternator, Bearings REAR, Impreza List Price : $38.92

Your Price : $28.02 Quantity:

Alternator, Brushes Impreza List Price : $4.82

Your Price : $3.47 Quantity:

Alternator, Rectifier Impreza List Price : $148.22

Your Price : $106.72 Quantity:

Alternator, Rotor Impreza List Price : $302.92

Your Price : $218.10 Quantity:

Alternator, Stator Impreza List Price : $207.58

Your Price : $149.46 Quantity:

Alternator, Voltage regulator Impreza List Price : $198.65

Your Price : $143.03

I will never understand why these alts are so expensive! Blus (1998 Outback) was 99.00 from subaru!

rebuild it!

Edited by nipper

As GD said, replacing the bearing isn't very difficult. Getting the alt apart though... Is a little bit of a pain in the rump roast. I took an old EJ one apart to replace the reg. Just make sure you mark everything for re-assembly, takes a lot of the guess work out of it.