Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Warming up the engine on cold days?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The newer EJs actually recommend 5w-30, not sure I'd run it in an older high mileage EJ though. And especially not an EA

if that is what is recommended, then fine, go with it.

i am running 10w30 in my 1990 EJ22 w/206K, let it warm up about 5 mins or so on cold days (below 30*F) enough to get things circulating good, not really enough to get it up to "normal" operating temp tho, but that usually happens within the first mile or so of driving, getting the tranny fully warmed up sometimes takes as much as 5 miles, depending on how cold it really is...so yeah, usually the first few miles are taken pretty easy...

The newer EJs actually recommend 5w-30, not sure I'd run it in an older high mileage EJ though. And especially not an EA

the haynes manual, for 90 - 98, calls for 10w30 when the temps are 0 degrees F and above, 5w30 for all temps and below 0.

but it is haynes so keep that in mind. it looks very official though.

Edited by johnceggleston

personally, i would not run 5w30 oil in a subaru - tried it once in my old GL wagon, it didnt like it! it got changed out long before the next change was due. just my nickels worth...

I run 5-30 in mine with no problems, and no noises.

I run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter, living in the NW you just cant predict what mother nature is going to throw at ya.

If you wan't to run a heavier weight oil in the summer, you should increase the higher of the two numbers. The difference between 5w 30 and 10w 30 is it's ability to flow when cold. 10w 30 really isn't any different than 5w 30 in the summer. But 5w 30 will flow easier in winter on cold starts.

Read the "Motor Oil 101" article at http://www.Bobistheoilguy.com.

the haynes manual, for 90 - 98, calls for 10w30 when the temps are 0 degrees F and above, 5w30 for all temps and below 0.

but it is haynes so keep that in mind. it looks very official though.

Direct from the 1990 Legacy owners manual....

10w30 / 10w40 from about -15* to 90*+ F

5w30 from 0*F and below...

altho - there is a "Caution" noted..."SAE 5w/30 is not recommended for sustained high-speed driving"

since we only get a few days a year below -15*F the 10w30 is just fine.

What is wrong using 5w40 instead then. It is a very wide range oil fully synthetical though. Using it now without troubles from -30F to 65F (have not had hotter temperatures yet).

I noticed that the cold weather knocking became a lot shorter and less loud.

Nothing wrong with that. The oil might be a little bit thicker at operating temp than a 5w30 would, but not enough to hurt anything. Then you get better protection in higher temperature regions or during hard driving.

Refer to the owners manual for recommended oil viscosities.

The owners manual for my 1999 OBW calls for 5W-30 (ambient temps of less than 100 F, probably best for winter) and 10W-30/10W-40 (ambient temps higher than 0 F, probably best for summer) for "better fuel economy"

However, it does list some "severe driving condition" viscosities: (off-road driving, hot desert driving, etc)

SAE 30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50.

Based off of that info, one may assume that viscosites between 5W and 50 are within the range of the EJ's tolerance.

But personally, I feel better using a recommended viscosity.

OK it is around 10 to 20 F here and when i start it starts ok and then runs at around 300 rpm or so (lets put it that way NOT smooth). Then I shut it off and start directly again. It runs at the first revolution of the starter motor. Then it jumps to 1500 rpm slowly going back to 1200 rpm as it should i think.

Why i have no idea. If I move the pedal a bit it does not like it.

I changed the sparks abou 2k ago to the NKG standard running on propane but starting on standard gazoline.

THe only thing i can think of is that the fuel injectors might be dirty from the driving on propane however that burns hotter and cleaner than normal fuel.