Ultimate Subaru Message Board

once the wheel is off you remove one bolt, loosen another, remove the axle nut and knock the pin out, it's really easy. kind of tight snaking it out but no big deal either.

the tricks are:

mark the head of the top bolt

the inner joint only installs one way - note the splines before install so you got it right. it'll slide on any way but the pin will only go back in with it installed one way.

that 32 mm axle nut can be INSANE to remove. i've broken 2 sockets and one breaker bar on axle nuts (but i've done a ton fo them too). i got a 3/4" set jsut because of axle nuts.

Thanks,

going to tool store tommorow for a punch and 32mm socket.

That nut was off just two months ago when the axle was changed ( crap EMPI)

Hopefully, the shop that put it on didn't over torque it. Gonna do it myself this time.

What size punch is needed for the pin?

Edited by eppoh

That nut was off just two months ago when the axle was changed ( crap EMPI)

EMPI axle failed? I had one nut that freaked me out (got a long thread on here about it) - i had previously removed/installed it for a friend who's wheel bearing failed. Had to replace the axle a few months later and the nut wouldn't budge with my 900 ft-lb 3/4" air gun and bent the socket of my 3/4" wrench with a pipe over the handle. it was nuts. not sure how that happened, but i didn't overtighten it. i'm sure that almost never happens and you'll be fine though.

What size punch is needed for the pin?
3/16". the really long ones are helpful, but not necessary.

Well, in years past EMPI had a good rep with Volkswagon enthusiasts, and after a really bad experience with new O'reilly axles,l I was willing to try anything.

Next time I will just junk the EMPI and get one from one of the builders mentioned on this board.

This was an odyssey today. I ordered a puch from the auto supply, but it did not come in.

Was going to try to remove the strut bolts, but couldn't get the nuts to budge.

The ball joint separated easily without damage. The tie rod bolt started spinning when I tried to remove the nut. Finally got it off using an impact gun and putting shear pressure on the tie rod.

The pin came out of the old shaft okay, but my son managed to spread the new pin will driving it in. It would not go the last 1/4 so decided to drive it out and try another. In the process of driving it out, he got the ground off screw driver we were using for a drift really stuck in the shaft. Took almost an hour to get that out!

Got it back together but the tie rod bolt was buggered and would not take the nut. I just happened to have another one in the garage, so we replaced it- with some difficulty to get the end broke loose from the inner shaft.

All in all, it took 3 hours, and I have not put away the tools yet.

Next time, it should go smoother.

Well, in years past EMPI had a good rep with Volkswagon enthusiasts, and after a really bad experience with new O'reilly axles,l I was willing to try anything.

Next time I will just junk the EMPI and get one from one of the builders mentioned on this board.

This was an odyssey today. I ordered a puch from the auto supply, but it did not come in.

Was going to try to remove the strut bolts, but couldn't get the nuts to budge.

The ball joint separated easily without damage. The tie rod bolt started spinning when I tried to remove the nut. Finally got it off using an impact gun and putting shear pressure on the tie rod.

The pin came out of the old shaft okay, but my son managed to spread the new pin will driving it in. It would not go the last 1/4 so decided to drive it out and try another. In the process of driving it out, he got the ground off screw driver we were using for a drift really stuck in the shaft. Took almost an hour to get that out!

Got it back together but the tie rod bolt was buggered and would not take the nut. I just happened to have another one in the garage, so we replaced it- with some difficulty to get the end broke loose from the inner shaft.

All in all, it took 3 hours, and I have not put away the tools yet.

Next time, it should go smoother.

sounds a whole like SOME of my time under a subaru. other times it goes easy as 1,2,3.

i think it would be wise for those of us who climb under and work on our own cars to buy pb blaster by the case and spray it on every bolt and nut we see, even the ones we are not working on at the time. it can't hurt. and when was the last time something ''fell off'' a car because it had too much blaster on it?

My outer tie rod did the same with the nut.. I think I'm going to have to cut the bolt off and just buy a replacement outer rod.

sounds a whole like SOME of my time under a subaru. other times it goes easy as 1,2,3.

i think it would be wise for those of us who climb under and work on our own cars to buy pb blaster by the case and spray it on every bolt and nut we see, even the ones we are not working on at the time. it can't hurt. and when was the last time something ''fell off'' a car because it had too much blaster on it?

Anti-seize compound. can't recommend it enough. and blaster, of course.

My outer tie rod did the same with the nut.. I think I'm going to have to cut the bolt off and just buy a replacement outer rod.

i don't know how the tie rod bolt got buggered, but FYI for next time, the castle nut is the same thread as the lug nuts. same with the ball joint castle nut.

i keep several lug nuts in my tool box so i can beat on them instead of the castle nuts.

Edited by johnceggleston

i don't know how the tie rod bolt got buggered, but FYI for next time, the castle nut is the same thread as the lug nuts. same with the ball joint castle nut.

i keep several lug nuts in my tool box so i can beat on them instead of the castle nuts.

I think it was a defect if you ask me.. the thing is the whole tie rod spins if you just try to unscrew it.. I think the part was only like $18 or 20 so it's not that big of a deal right now but my aliment is off still.

Here are some photos.

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/SubaruDocs/CVBoot.htm

Second the advice on going w/ MWE axles.

I recall seeing another site with photos for a 1992(?) Legacy SS... I'll keep looking.

Thanks. He sure went to a lot of work to get the axle off. I didn't even have to remove the brake caliper.

Just he tie rod end and separate the ball joint.

Maybe next time I will take some pictures and post it.

Hopefully not too soon, but I do have 2 subies with high miles.