Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Threw a rod in BFE WY...UGH

Well, heading to CO for Christmas and at mile marker 111 heading south on I-25 in WY going 85mph, BANG!

************ my pants, pushed in the clutch and the engine dies. Noise goes away and I know I'm fracked...

I roll to a stop in the middle of know where. I lifted the hood and a bunch of smoke comes up. Smells bad too. I closed the hood and got the engine to start. Made one hell of a racket. Got it into second gear and managed to get to the top of a hill a few hundred yards away. Engine died again and I was able to coast to the only exit within MILES. Rolled into the parking lot of a gas/shop. Pushed it the last 100 yards out of the way.

Called for my sister to pick me up, I was traveling with both of my dogs and all my ski/climbing gear. Zipped up into my sleeping bag and stayed warm while helped arrived. Darn cold night out there too.

So anyone want my car in WY?

I just want the snow tires off it. Brand new Michelin Xi2 snow tires.

Looks like I will be renting a car and driving the rental back. Will need to fit in the tires and dogs.

that sucks RG, better luck with the next one.

as a last resort, you might be able to find some cheap used spares from a junk yard to throw on it so you can snag your snows. or more annoying have a tire shop swap out old throw aways onto your rims if you just want the snows.

put it on craigslist for cheap, someone will get it for a couple hundred and get you your tires back.

the EJ25 is low end Subaru reliability, that's why none of my fleet of daily's has one.

The only time I've seen an ej25 throw a rod bearing is when it was either low on oil or had been overheatied too much previous to the incident. I have a car that has 300k on the original motor and it is running like a champ. Just leaks a bit of oil, surprize , surprize.

I think the ej25 is a great motor and I take good care of mine. I think they are prone to failure about the same rate as any other motor. I agree that the 2.2 is a more robust motor, but I wouldn't scrap a 2.5 just to replace it with a 2.2 if the 2.5 was running well.

you are probably on the road and skiing by now, but...

rent a pick up or mini van, not a car. (or rent a u-haul truck and car transporter)

buy an engine, see below (check to see if it is from an auto trans).

spend a day delivering the engine and car to a shop ( maybe in the denver / colorado springs area.)

then go on vacation.

when you pass back through on your way north,

pick up your car. are you going back to seattle? (1200 miles?)

this gives you fewer rental miles to off set the cost of the engine and the labor to install.

when you get home you can sell the car if you want.

Engine

Subaru Legacy 2.2L 4 cyl, comp 150 all * $350

Cars N Parts, Inc. CO(Eaton)

1-800-690-2102

http://www.carsnparts.org/

or

Engine

Subaru Legacy2.2L, AOD,1-95,MFI,4X4,CHK

161,252mi

$400

Loveland Auto Salvage USA-CO(Loveland) E-mail 1-800-528-6582

just a thought.

Edited by johnceggleston

It was not low on oil. Pretty anal about checking. I had recently resealed the motor (when the timing belt pulley blew) It didn't leak at all, and about 110 miles previous I had checked the level. I would love to rip the motor apart to see what actually failed.

The motor had about 240K on it.

I'm renting a car to get back. I'm just going to wash my hands of it. I'm at mile marker 111 on I-25 in WY. There is a little gas station there, the lady there had me park it in a field. I just want the shoes off of it.

Even if I could get it to my sister's house I couldn't get the motor swapped, none of my tools are here. I checked how much it would cost to rent a U-Haul with a auto dolly, too much $$$.

I'm going to post on the "for sale" forum this hulk. Maybe someone can use the shell. I have HID headlights installed and a set of PIAA fog lamps. The rest of the car is in pretty good shape.

Pissed, but I'll get over it. Plus this gives me a chance to look for a new project car.

I'm staying away from those Gen II EJ25's.

Well, from $100 to $0 is still a lot of wiggle room :lol:

The junk yard is willing to give me $50 for it. :)

So I'm not asking for much. I figure someone out there might need the parts off it. Really it needs a new motor and its fine (well tire/rims after I pull the snow tires). Hey there starving college student...wanta winter project car????

Anyhow, about the fallen valve seat. I've had that happen on a Ford once, this did not sound like that. I'm sure this was a rod (80%), just the way it sounded and rattled around.

I'm wondering, the snow tires were a bit smaller in size 205-65R15. So when I had the cruise at 85 the speedo read 90. (GPS verified)

It was at this speed pretty much the entire trip up to this point minus gassing up. So I'm wondering if I was just pulling too many RPM's for too long? I think it was right up at 4XXX...

Anyhow, valve seat, rod, what ever, it made a crap load of noise and blew my vacation plans all to hell. :mad:

I feel very bad about this. I'm glad you were strong. Pushing a dead Subie 300 ft cannot have been fun. Then you coulda froze.

What I also see is the members here directing you to an alternative. One way or another this will work out and Because you want to save those tires it will work differently. If you really want to wash you hands of it and sold the car for> 600$ it might even work better.

i hope, for otherwise it is more hassle.:-\