Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It had the bug deflector on it when i bought it, you can see what it did to the factory paint in these pics. These are sanding it down, and doing minor body work.

167845_1590093907268_1083470802_31345204_1690587_n.jpg

167555_1590091267202_1083470802_31345198_7691762_n.jpg

this pics is filling the holes where the decals where at and prepping the area to leave them off.

167341_1590090227176_1083470802_31345196_8280551_n.jpg

more minor bodywork

Edited by SubaruAlliance

the reason i left all the body cladding on was i didn't want the two tone look. I tried to take some of the cladding to paint it separately but that would've been twice the work, and then twice the masking.

Looking at the finished product you can see there is so much pearl in it, that if the light hits it right it will look more white in certain areas, especially around the doors. It's all in how the light hits it, looks more black on the bottom, and more white when the light hits it strait on. if you are right on it you can see some greens, and purples in it, from the crystal pearl that is mixed in with the white pearl.

anyways that's the finished product, 3 coats of black base, 6 coats of white pearl, and then 3 coats of high solids clear.

Edited by SubaruAlliance

it Looks Awesome! :)

I Never Liked their Two-Tone Paint, so I Believe that Painting the Baja as you Did makes it to Look Cool! ... I Really Like it.

Could I Ask which Kind of Paint did you Used and what brand of Spray Gun, at which PSi?

I Paint using "Sagola" Spray Gun and my Favourite Paint is the Polyurethane Based.

Kind Regards.

Nice work! In most colors, I don't care for the early Bajas' two-tone scheme, either. The later ones, like my '05, have a subtle tone-on-tone look that I like. Did you flex the primer and/or paint, to allow the cladding to bend if hit w/o messing up the paint?

the brand of paint was NASON, apparently it's like dupont's sister company, kinda like mercury is to ford, or saturn is to gm. anyways, it was painted with some budget set up spray guns at 40PSI. it was like 100 bucks for two guns, one with a 2.0 tip, and the with a 1.2 tip or something like that. the guy who painted it said the guns wern't bad but not good either, he is just gonna use them for primer guns now, but he said the smaller one of the two is perfect for door jams.

the base coat is called NASON Ful-Base B/C. the pearl is a custom mix that is named MAD DOCTOR WHITE PEARL, and the clear is NASON High-Image HS (High Solids) Clear.

and anyways, i liked the two tone look for a minute, but as i got used to it, I started noticing the factory black on top had a bit of red flake in it, like a small amount of red pearl, and the silver on bottom was to light for the black so i decided to paint it, and i am glad i did.

I can get the code off the can for the pearl, it's a white pearl, and a crystal pearl. The guy at Finish Masters showed me some 4 or 5 different white pearls and i picked out the one i liked and then he showed me the crystal pearl, which like a prism, it shows you all the colors of the rainbow depending on the angle of the light hitting it so i had him add a pinch of that and it turned out real nice and subtle, if you are right on top of the car you can see some greens, and purples and what not, but it's subtle enough to not really show up in the photos.

Yeah, I like that. Looks right and proper for sure. I Commend you on your prep and painting skill and the point you did it to what basically is a "New" car.

As for One color Baja's, I think the best solid color Subaru offered was the Purple pearl. Yellow is over-rated on them, but then, that is the only model Subaru has ever offered in Yellow since the 80s.

-Tom

Edited by TheLoyale